***Gigabyte P37X Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cormogram, Feb 2, 2015.

1. iglaze

iglaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a quick correction. It's funny that people say that the X7 Pro throttles at 70 degrees. It doesn't throttle until its over 90 degrees. Check the Aorus X7 Pro Lounge. All the throttling that was reported at the low 70 degress were for the review laptops. These review versions also didn't have didn't have hard drives and they had a TN panel. While the ones that you actually buy in stores have a 1TB hard drive and they have IPS panels.

After saying all that, the Aorus X7 Pro still does throttle, so that is still a problem, just not at that low temperature. Also, it seems that the CPU of most SLI laptops are throttling as well (see the MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge) and that system is huge in comparison so may be more than just a ventilation issue.

As for the P37X, if you do a search on Amazon, they have two listings for it one at $2,000 and one at $2,500. All the specs are placeholders, but that could give you an idea on price.

2. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Depending on where you seat (aisle, mid, window, etc.) you may get annoyed very quickly by passengers in transit, not to mentioned possible accidents.
    The smaller the better in that case.

I wonder if the P37X will support all four drives in RAID 0. Will it?

3. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From what we know now (and we don't know a huge amount to be fair), are we expecting thermal performance that is worse than, roughly equal to, or somewhat better than the X7 Pro? In other words, should we roughly expect the same limitations of the X7 Pro in terms of fan noise and surface temperatures? As far as I can see, as far as thermal design goes:

Negatives: less venting that the X7 Pro, 1 less heat pipe (4 versus 5)

A wash: Same CPU TDP, dual fans with roughly same size, unclear whether TDP for single 980m versus 2x 970m comes out ahead or not

4. Cormogram

Reputations:
    Not considering the VRAM and all other circuitry in the MXM board, two 970M will consume about 162W[1] against 100W[2] of one 980M.

[1] http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html
    [2] http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980M.126692.0.html

5. Gear332

Gear332 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can't seem to find it now, but I remember a review or discussion on the 970m, and the author alluded to the fact that spreading the heat of the 970m SLI over two GPUs might actually be better for thermal design than the single 980m, so that's why I mentioned the former.

Edit: Found it -- AnandTech, so they are pretty respected when it comes to PC hardware:

7. Cormogram

Reputations:
    The only scenario that it would be cooler is when the second 970M is on low power mode. Considering full throtttle they will certainly get hotter than a single 980M.

Got word from Gigabyte today that the P37X have three SATA 6Gb/s and one SATA 3Gb/s.
    So, the four RAID 0 is a myth (considering you don't want to have the forth drive on the swappable bay/running slower).

moviemarketing likes this.
  8. Gear332

Reputations:
    XoticPC has it listed now. They have it with a 256gb mSata and 16gb of RAM for $2500. $500 seems like way too much for those two improvements. So far, it looks like I'll be buying the base model and putting in 2 256gb mSata drives myself and upgrading the RAM to 16gb. Even with the extra 256gb drive, I should come in below their silly $2500 figure. I don't know who over at Gigabyte is coming up with their pricing, but they need to be replaced.

http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p37xcf2-p-7981.html

9. iglaze

iglaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, after looking at those prices, I'm glad I ordered the Aorus instead. I should be getting mine from XoticPC on Monday.

With the price being only $100 cheaper, I don't see the value. Compared to the Aorus X7 Pro:
    Cons:
    - uses 1600 mhz Ram instead of 1866mhz
    - has one 256 gb SSD drive instead of 2 in the Aorus
    - has one 980m vs 2 970m in SLI
    - it uses a TN panel vs the IPS one in the Aorus (if they follow P35x)

Pros:
    - has optical drive than can be swapped out for extra HDD or left out to make lighter
    - could potentially run cooler or quieter because of one GPU
    - has one 980m vs 2 970m in SLI

It seems like a toss up on which of the two you may prefer. Since I wanted a powerful customizable laptop, I went with the Aorus. It seems to have more value for the components than the P37x.

But if you really want to customize the look of your system, XoticPC has way more options to paint, etch, wrap or color/light your keyboard with the P37x. You can only etch with the Aorus and I really wanted to paint it.

One more thing, all that to say I think Gigabyte is charging too much for the system. They should look at the GS70 for pricing and charge a slight premium for the 980m. Unless that is the premium for the 980m...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. Gear332

Reputations:
    I agree with almost everything you said. The only Pro you left off was battery life. The single GPU laptop should get much better battery life. I feel like I'm constantly changing my mind, but right now I'm leaning toward just getting the P37W with the 970m. Xotic has it with 16gb of RAM and a single 256gb mSATA for $1900. I'll probably throw a second 256gb mSATA in it and a 2TB HDD and call it good until the DX12 cards start coming out. Hopefully then there will be something with M.2 SSD's and USB type-C.

Oh, also it seems the P37's will have IPS displays like the X7 Pro.

iglaze likes this.