***Gigabyte P37X Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cormogram, Feb 2, 2015.

1. BoxerTurbo

BoxerTurbo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a p37w v4 with a 970m and even the 970 is beastly. I'm sure you will love the 980m but I am curious to how well it will drive games at 4K so I do hope you update us on that! With that said, I did have one driver issue with mine out of the box. I had to install 4 or 5 different Bluetooth drivers to get it to work but all is well now. As far as heat goes, it certainly seems to get a lil bit hotter than my Asus g74 did but that is to be expected because the g74 had one hell of a cooling system and was much thicker. Important to remember these are low profile gaming laptops. Mine does not have heat issues. With BF4 and several other games I frequent maxed my temps hit mid to high 70's. The fans get loud as f*ck. I have never been one to get butthurt at the sound of fans but if that is something that bothers you prepare to wear headphones. So to sum it up, it gets pretty warm and I'm sure may even get "hot" as most gaming laptops do with a heavy load for long enough but I never have any overheating issues or anything like that. I ran benchmarks for hours when I first got it and although I don't remember the temps specifically, they were not to high to be of detriment to anything other than maybe a persons lap but I like to think folks understand this type of laptop is designed for a desk or table and not your lap. Let us know how it goes and enjoy that 4K!

2. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, I read you review earlier, very nice.

Regarding the keyboard backlighting, I'm very disappointed, they should allow you to decide what colors you want like how the MSI GS60/70 series is. When I had the P35x vX, I was very disappointed with the keyboard since mine sank in the middle and it felt cramped in putting a full size KB in a 15" laptop, hopefully, the P37x won't feel this way.

Regarding heat, hopefully the paste I order will help a lot. I know it did for my GS70 and from others who said to repaste.

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra 100% Metal Thermal Interface - BEST PERFORMANCE - installed by HIDevolution+$50.00

4K, I'm not sure if I'll play in 4k but I'll try it out to see how much of a performance hit I get when using 4k compared to 1080p. Worst case scenario would be to always scale down to 1080p during gaming. I do wear glasses and have bad eyes, hopefully 4k won't be too bad on the eyes and scaling does a decent job. I hear Windows 10 does but you never know until you see it for yourself. Originally, I was going to just get the 1080p version, if i did, I probably would've received the laptop by now since I would've ordered it sooner since it took a few days for me to decide on 1080p or 4k IPS. I tell myself I can take advantage of the 4k but honestly i have only watched a few 4k movies / tv shows on my Samsung 4K and I'm preparing for the future. But honestly, I think I'm just buying it to have it and probably won't take advantage of it much. I should've just stuck with the 1080p version and waited until a more powerful GFX to be released to power a 4k screen.

3. HariSeldon78

HariSeldon78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm currently in search of a replacement for my sony laptop used for java development.
    I've found the gigabyte P37W/X v5 well designed and to be a good replacement for my sony with 32gb and SSD 1 tb.
    For me this laptop seems beautiful vs all others laptops in particular to the MSI GT72s (very fat !) which i'm regarding also...

My questions for owners of it :
    1. In France, there is no P37w v5 available for the moment Does somebody know the availability ?
    2. I need a secondary charger, where can i find one ? Compatibility with other standards ?
    3. For my project, i will not used the GTX at all so i will stick with the intel GPU at work. (Maybe for Home gaming but not so often)
    Can someone provide me temperature in idle CPU / GPU ?
    Can someone provide me temperature after running 20 mins of only CPU intensive benchmark CPU / GPU ?
    With CPU Intensive benchmark, it will be a good mean to know how the laptop will deal with Java/ Eclipse and thousands of classes.
    4. Is the computer ready for Linux ?
    5. Can i bought a warranty extension for it ?

Thanks for Your answers,

Sebastien

4. ohaimark

ohaimark Newbie

Reputations:
    This is an easy question. I just ordered a P37X v4 and some aftermarket RAM.

Can you adjust the RAM timings in the BIOS? Does Memset work with the laptop?

I think I'll need to set some of the timings manually.

5. daglesj

daglesj Newbie

Reputations:
    Quick question - I have a P37X that is stuck on the Gigabyte BIOS start screen. The one with Press F2/F9 etc. Just wont move from there. Tried a USB keyboard, removing the existing one. Tried booting from a USB stick. Nothing. Have tested the SSD boot drive and its fine. Have disconnected the battery and BIOS battery for at least 5+ minutes and held the power button down too while in that state but we still are stuck on the initial boot screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

6. mrnorris

mrnorris Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there no option in the bios to enable some sort of halt on error or to get rid of the splashscreen in case something is erroring? I'd check mine for reference, but it's in for repair.

You could also remove the RAM (I'm hoping you have two modules), one at a time, and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps one of them are faulty.

If it is under warranty, I'd take it back though.

That said - mine has a really odd issue. Lots of interference when using headphones. Has anyone else experienced this before?

7. HiHoeMan

HiHoeMan Newbie

Reputations:
    Following on from people thinking about Re-Pasting their laptops I have made a quick high level guide on how to do this with the P37x-v5. I didn't capture my full min/max temps but they are definitely down to the point I recommend it to everyone with the P37. Once you guys see the paste job you will easily see how I have dropped my temps as much as 10 degrees in places.

The guide can be found with this link.

8. mrnorris

mrnorris Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey man, thanks for the guide :p I might give that a go a few weeks down the line, if I really feel brave and if I keep my laptop. At the moment I'm still unsure if I'll be keeping mine - waiting for another motherboard replacement.

I am quite interested in seeing what your temps are under some serious load after the re-pasting. I considered doing it a while ago, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The GPU hovering around 80 degrees, and the CPU around 90 when gaming is a bit of a shocker to me!

HiHoeMan likes this.
  9. HiHoeMan

HiHoeMan Newbie

Reputations:
    Man you should definitely do it if you are going to keep you laptop (what version is it?)!

Before I re-pasted my GPU was hovering at high 70's - low 80's. My GPU has never caused me concern and it has always been at an acceptable temp.
    The CPU however is what scared me the most. Usually high 80's and sometimes spiking in mid 90's which was not good!

Now I have put new paste on, I have never seen my CPU near 90 degrees and in places I have seen it drop 10 degrees.

If you have Tomb Raider, Dark Souls 3, or some kind benchmark, I can compare temps if you like? Be interesting to see from my point of view also how much difference has been made.

10. mrnorris

mrnorris Newbie

Reputations:
    I intend on keeping it, but I have this weird issue with the sound which Gigabyte is trying to fix. There is a lot of interference when I use the headphone jack. There is also interference coming through the main speakers, but I have to put my ear right up against the speaker to hear it.

I have V5, and I got it at an amazing price, which is why I'm really considering keeping it, even if Gigabyte don't manage to sort out the sound :p It's even higher spec'd than my desktop!

I only have Just Cause 3, Dota 2, Mass Effect 2 (old but gold), and Battlefield 4 installed.