***Gigabyte P37X Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cormogram, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 2eD

2eD Newbie

Reputations:
    I was hoping someone had success. I keep getting the driver power state failure with the latest drivers I can find... Could you share your driver versions?

2. Multiplayer

Multiplayer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Guys!

I've got a few questions, i hope you get to me the right answers :)

My P37x is extremly hot - after a few minutes playing (no matter which game (World of Tanks, Battlefield 3 & 4, C&C RA3,...)) my cpu is at ~80-85°c and gpu is over 90°C (often 93-95°C). For my mind this is to much.

When i use the manually fan controll at 50% the fps ingame falling down to 30-40 fps - cause of the overheat/throttle from cpu and gpu?

The fan is unbelievable loud - like a vacuum cleaner o_O - i can't do a noise level test, but it must be over 60 db. - i will try it next time with my smartphone with a db-level test app.

I dont read the 19 pages above, cause i don't have so much time and my english is not very well, yet :( .

Greets from Austria,

Michael

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    a test app on your mobile phone is far from accurate.

But these machines do get loud and hot. It comes with the territory of running such high end components in thin machines.

4. BoxerTurbo

BoxerTurbo Newbie

Reputations:
    My last laptop was a g74 with a 560m. I must say when comparing to it, even the 970m in my p37w is beastly. It gives me better frame rates in most of my games than my 760 does in my desktop. Throw in the fact this sucker has 6 gigs or vram which allows me to run most of my games at higher settings than with my 2 gig 760. I'm impressed to say the least.

5. BoxerTurbo

BoxerTurbo Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm new here and it looks like it will be my new home for a while. I am pretty much a desktop guy. I was a government contractor for a while and that led me to getting into the gaming notebook world. I haven't purchased a console since the 360 came out and I started gaming on PC's. I'm heading back across the pond with a new job and ended up with a p37w since I sadly melted my G74. Just so no one thinks it melted from the inside out, I was tuning my car and left it in the engine bay a bit too long. It is what it is lol. I started with a G72 that was second hand, then went to a g74 and now have a p37w. I was a bit worried that the 970m would not perform but Newegg had a great sale and I saved about 600 bucks on the W so that's the route I took. Ended up getting it about 1100 bucks cheaper than the X and needless to say was sold at that point. I am only a casual gamer anyways. On that note, the 970m is plenty for me and more. I'm not one that has to max stuff out 24/7 but it does not seem to flinch in most of my games even if I do max them. I don't game on the go and as I said before, don't do consoles. The thought of going back to a controller is not a good one. Most of the guys that contract buy TV's, Xbox's and tons of other sh*t that they have to ship home eventually that leads to having way too much invested into stuff that is not worth it. So that's why I got the p37. It does all of that for me and fits in my carry on bag, well sort of. So now that I rambled on and gave you a bunch of info you could care less about, here are my thoughts on this machine:

It's big, as most gaming laptops are. It is quite thin for what it is though

The 5700hq seems pretty good. I don't find myself yelling at it to hurry up as I did with previous gaming laptops.

The keyboard is lacking in my opinion. For some reason my eyes prefer a blue or red backlight on a keyboard. Needless to say its white and my choices are basically on or off. The macros are useless for me but that's not to say they are for everyone. I really only play shooters but I could see them being good for other genres. Overall the keyboards not terrible but there is something I don't like about it that I can't seem to put my finger on yet. Might just need a bit more time to adjust as we always do with new keyboards. One thing is for sure, The LED's for the keyboard bleed through the edge of every key like a mofo. Not a huge con, but annoying when I really need it.

It runs much hotter than my g74 but it's expected to since the g74 was almost twice as thick. Some complain the fans get loud, and they undoubtedly do get loud, but that doesn't bother me at all. With the heat gaming rigs make, I'd be a bit worried if it was silent.

The screen is beautiful for a 1080p display. I almost went with a 4k rig but have no regrets there.

Although I only use it on the go, I f*****g HATE the track pad. Give me physical buttons to click so I can feel where one starts and the other ends. Sensitivity is fine though.

When comparing it to previous gaming laptops I have owned, the speakers are surprisingly good. Still sound like laptop speakers, but all in all they seem to have good range.

All in all I like it. It's like buying a car. You pick the one you want based on what you like and it will usually come with a few things that drive you nuts as well. But even being the W model, it packs a damn good punch and for the price I got it, was damn near a steal. It is my first product from Gigabyte and I like it. Hopefully they go with better build quality in the future as far as the chassis goes but I'm sure as new composites get cheaper that will happen. Last but not least, and not directly related to the machine itself, I must admit Windows 10 is not so bad. I still love my 7 more, but at least it does not feel like a tablet like 8 did. Gotta give them credit for that.

6. Rusmurf

Rusmurf Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone suggest a good hdd upgrade for this, I have one that came with a 1 TB non ssd, starts up a bit slow, I can feel the slower loading.

7. BoxerTurbo

BoxerTurbo Newbie

Reputations:
    @Rusmurf

Might not be what you want to hear, but if you want quicker booting and loading times an ssd is what you are looking for. If you are looking for a traditional hdd than do a quick google search on WD's color coding system to double check, but if I am not mistaking I think the black drives are the higher performers on a consumer level. I've always gone with blue myself though and never had any complaints. They already come with 7200 rpm drives though so your not going to get much of an improvement from anything but an SSD. Not sure if you can boot from the swappable bay but if not you could always try short stroking your hdd and add another hdd in the swappable bay for storage but again, performance will not be affected as much as your looking for. I already threw an ssd in mine and it is surely the way to go if your impatient but even with the oem drive mine was up and running in less than 20 sec consistently even after transferring over 500 gigs from my old laptop to it. I only got an ssd because of a newegg sale. Catch one on sale somewhere, you won't regret it. They are not painfully expensive anymore.

8. Rusmurf

Rusmurf Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, I think I will go the SSD route then, any internal 2.5 ssd is ok? 500 gigs is plenty for my laptop, I try to keep it fairly lean.

9. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I just put in a pre-order at HIDEvolution for the P37x v5 4K model and hopefully I'll be getting it within 2 wks or less.

I currently have the GS70-099 2QE and it's been great but I really want a 980m with 4K and MSI doesn't offer that in their slim line so I decided to take another chance with Gigabyte. Hopefully, the P37x v5 4k will be as good but I'm a little weary because of my bad experience with the P35x when it first came out. I had driver and heat issues early on and returned it after 2 wks with it. I paid good money for it and felt that i shouldn't have to put in so much effort to make it functional.

I'll report back once I get it with some benchmarks and testing.

10. BoxerTurbo

BoxerTurbo Newbie

Reputations:
    All SSDs are not created equally but with that said, any SSD is going to be a major upgrade from a HDD when talking boot and search times. You really only need to spend big money if you are looking for over the top read/write speeds. My suggestion is to do some research and find one that is reported to be reliable (just like you would for any component) and go with what fits your price range. Just know that unless you NEED insanely fast read/write for something specific you do, even a cheap SSD will do what you are looking for. You will really only notice a difference in the read/write speeds if you are transferring huge files and only if the drive or network you are transferring from can send/receive fast enough to utilize the speed. The average user will not gain much from a higher end SSD vs a decent Value SSD. Just do some research as I said to make sure what you are going to get will last. Intel makes some great high end ones but be prepared to pay for those. I think something like this will make you quite happy. I have had great success with Samsung Evo SSDs and they are pretty reputable as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

Also here is a chart from TomsHardware that may give you a little info to help. Just don't purchase from the links at this site, they can be found much cheaper at place like newegg and TD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html