***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

1. bigspin

bigspin My Kind Of Place

Reputations:
    CPU can go upto 100C but it will start to throttle @ 90. BTW start HWMonitor with sensor only mode, It'll give you more information. If you stress CPU/GPU simultaneously you will get more clear picture about temp and throttle.

2. Arthedes

Arthedes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No. I meant that the throttle limit should be set to 100C

I regularly hit 99C on my old craptop with a Core2Duo T7700 2.4GHz and its still running strong (for a T7700). Mobile CPUs are designed to operate up to 110C.

EDIT: I am misstaken. i7 4710HQ can go up to 100C. 90C is a good thermal limit http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4710HQ-Notebook-Processor.115084.0.html

EDIT2: So too bad the CPU throttles in Firestrike, but very nice the 980m runs at a cool 65C!

3. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    Yupp, but nothing propping the back of the laptop can't fix :D I think CPU temperature problem can be fixed if 980m is seriously 65C at most :eek:

4. Arthedes

Arthedes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is AS5 still the best out there?

5. frysie

frysie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    firestrike is pushing it to it's limits which will not happen in gaming... what im more interested is the fan noise

6. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Yep exactly. CPU throttling can also induce that nasty stuttering.

So far it seems that CPU thermals really is the Achilles' heel of thin and lights.

Not the CPU no. That physics test doesn't push the CPU half as hard as some of the more demanding games.

Kaozm likes this.
  7. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    OK guys, I think 10 benches within the hour (like as much load as you will put on GPU and CPU) and Cakefish's results are 90C for CPU and 65C for the GPU (with some minor bumps, not so important). I think "perfect laptop is real". Join me in chanting happiness throughout the world and share these good news, our prophet Cakefish, we believe in you (and your p35x v3 :D)!

RMXO and Arthedes like this.
  8. bigspin

bigspin My Kind Of Place

Reputations:
    nop...use ICDiamond 24 or MX4

Arthedes likes this.
  9. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like I'm going to have to get the TIM replaced with ICD24 then, TYVM Cakefish!

10. brrrbrack

brrrbrack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is physically impossible to "fix" the CPU temp. You can't put a Haswell-quadcore-CPU in a slim 15inch notebook and have it not throttle.

I have been notebook-hunting for 6 months now and had the P35W v2 for 2 weeks. I tried pretty much everything (repasting, notebook cooler, running it with the backpanel open) to get the CPU to stay under 90C. Nothing worked. It just how it is.