***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

1. jhax01

jhax01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I *do* think that it is normal. If you're looking at replacement parts as a criteria then I'd shy away from gigabyte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, that's good to know.

3. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed. Gigabyte parts aren't the most readily available. Even MSI parts are probably more obtainable than Gigabyte's...and MSI's can definitely be "needle in haystack". Clevo probably has more alternatives.

p.s.
    I tried in vain to find a 3k/4k replacement for my GT60. Gave up and settled for craptastic 1080p on it.

4. Arthedes

Arthedes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey I'm having problems with my SSD on my gigabyte p35x v3. It's a non-msata ssd one so it fits in the HDD slot. some SSD diagnosing tools are saying that the sata interface is sata1 at 1.5GB/s, but the port is sata3 6gb/s right? can anyone confirm their drives are running at sata3 6gbps?

EDIT: it was due to a power failure (the laptop drained in my backpack when on standby mode and my windows install got corrupted). I fixed it by doing a power cycle of the SSD and reinstalling windows.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. Arthedes

Reputations:
    I'm still looking for an older BIOS of the P35X V3, since i think its really annoying it tries to keep idle temp at 40C while spinning the fans. I used to get 60C idle temps and the fans wouldn't spin on idle and I prefer that. It even stayed at 60C passively when streaming 1080p netflix and youtube and browsing.

6. Arthedes

Reputations:
    Nah not enough cooling for that. I repasted and dusted out my fans and heatsink and now 3.0GHz seems to be fine (no throttling, ~90C max) in gaming with +135 core and +500 mem on the 980m. could maybe push it to 3.2 because there is thermal headroom left (95C max) but I rather keep it at 90C ish.

Before dusting and repasting it throttled at 2.6GHz even. I repasted last year with GC Gelid Extreme.

Running a 40mV underclock.

7. Arthedes

Reputations:
    Their latest driver makes the fans spin even at idle whereas they used not to. Are they trying to destroy my fans so they can make more money?? haha

8. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In the end I went with a Lenovo P70. Unfortunately it whitelists MXM cards, but I found one with a good card (Quadro M4000M). The motherboard had a subtle data corruption problem that took warranty service a few tries to fix (second level support eventually diagnosed it to a problem with the NIC), but it feels like a solid machine and it's not hard to get parts for. Not as easy as Dell, which would have been my first choice, but being able to put two 2.5" drives inside is important and it also has a particularly good keyboard (which I tend to be rough on, and since I want to keep this as my primary laptop for 6-8 years, it matters).

9. Rick__Astley

Rick__Astley Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,
    i have had this laptop for two years (5 months or so beyond the 2 year warranty now).

Recently, I was playing games and all of a sudden it turned off, and would not turn back on. The charger light was not on. I found that if I unplug the charger from the computer, and replug it into the wall, the light turns on. I checked that the voltage was good on it. However, when I plug the charger into the computer the light on the charger turns off. If I unplug the battery from the motherboard (battery went bad a month ago, got swollen, and I replaced it with a correct model), the problem does not change.

I heard that the mobo would probably need to be replaced (from a computer repair technician in a local shop) which alone could cost as much as the laptop is worth to sell now, is it true?

Thank you for any advice you can give. I think I've made a very expensive mistake.

10. Arthedes

Reputations:
    Do you know what happened and what did you do to fix it?