***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akseapilot

akseapilot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone remind me how to set the battery charging style? was it software or windows? I remember setting the battery to charge for battery long term life, versus full charge for when i am needing maximum time unplugged. I have p35x v3 windows 10 x64 pro - latest updates as of 7-24-17 -

The problem i am having is everytime i am using battery power after about 1 hour (or maybe 50 minutes) the laptop will just instantly power down with no warning. just a click and its off. Maybe if i can find that setting and change it to full charge it might condiition things to work longer or hopefully i can condition it through a cycle of charge/drains.

2. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. istp4lmrs

istp4lmrs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All. Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement fans for my laptop? One of them seems to have died and I can't find any retailer that sells a fan for this comp. If help will be most appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE!! :)

4. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wish to god i could help you. But then again, if I knew where to buy them, I wouldn't have paid $100 to have my laptop factory serviced, the replacement fan NOT plugged in properly, and the boot drive wiped.

I maintain that Gigabyte is ****e. My replacement fan is again buzzing--just like the old one did.

5. istp4lmrs

istp4lmrs Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree. Im never gonna buy a gaming laptop from gigabyte again. The put stuff in their laptop that can't be serviced by the user in order to make more money off their customers....

6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying a used P37x-v5 against a Clevo P650HS-G.

For a configuration I'm potentially interested in (4K screen), the Gigabyte is about $800 cheaper than the Clevo, and of course the 17.3" screen (which I like). The Clevo is only a 15.6" screen, with a processor about 25% faster and a faster GPU. I'm mostly interested in image/video processing. Both have 2x2.5" drive bays (which I need).

I'm perfectly happy to (and prefer to) do my own service. I'm seeing some concern here, but it might be self-selected.

What do people think here?

7. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dunno what you mean by "self selected". My experience is factory service returned to me the exact same issue.

I already made a few minor compromises with the Gigabyte--and the sub-par build quality has just been the rotten icing on the cake. The ungodly large palm rest, the lack of "capslock/numlock" indicator lights, the mono-color backlight keyboard, windows key placement, etc; these are all minor gripes. Sound hissing/popping/buzzing while gaming is a bit more than a gripe. But the GPU fan buzzing--two different times--is a fair indication of build quality. And the rep lying about it is a fair indication of their customer support.

I'd go with the Clevo before I even considered Gigabyte for a PC again. (Still prefer MSI though--if they come to their senses about 4k & 1070 GTX in 15")

8. jhax01

jhax01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still using the crap out of my P35Xv3. I did have a dGPU issue in the first couple months. They were reasonably quick about fixing it and two years later, there haven't been any problems since. Not trying to diminish the issues that others have had but there certainly is another side to the coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is a laptop I hope to keep going for 5-8 years (my current Dell Precision M6500 is 6 years old and doing fine; it's just the CPU is a bit underpowered for my heavier workloads). So reliability and availability of parts is important to me. I'm going to be running Linux (openSUSE) exclusively and will be replacing some of the innards, and my expectation is to do my own repairs. I don't want to send something back to a depot for repair and have to wait a few weeks to get it back, although granted my current laptop should remain viable for a while as a spare.

I'm pretty hard on keyboards; I've just installed my fourth into the M6500. This has been true with all of my laptops, and is due to my behavior. Other than that, the only problems I've had were with some memory (aftermarket) and thermal (caused by dust, which blowing out with a compressed air can solves).

So I don't know whether what I'm seeing here is representative or not.

10. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One thing I do notice on eBay is that there are very few replacement keyboards for Gigabytes, period. There were 15 listed, and none for the P35X. There are plenty for Dell (over 10,000) and a decent number for Clevo (600, with quite a few for the P650 alone). Is this the normal state of affairs, and representative of other parts situations (e. g. fans, if I were to need to replace them)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.