***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i haven't watched the clocks. too busy worrying about temps to notice.

2. DelFang

DelFang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be frank I didn't care enough to check, it ran Witcher 3 at 2560x1080 with high settings at 30-45 fps (depending on the surroundings) over 5+ continuous hours so I didn't bothered to check.

But it does get hot and fans go loud but I can still hear the ambient in the game (80% on display speaker, 60% on ambient setting), so external mechanical keyboard and headphones are prefered.

Regards.

Defan

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

3. EvilTak

EvilTak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just performed a thermal repaste on my P35X v3, and I'm moderately happy with the results. While most of the GPU thermal throttling is eliminated, the CPU still throttles a bit and the GPU starts throttling itself slightly after around 15 minutes of playing. I suspect this is because my fans have suddenly decided to tone themselves down for no reason. Before the repaste, the fans would spin up at full speed whenever they got a chance, but now even setting the fan speed to 100% in the Smart Manager doesn't make them spin. Even if they do, they do not reach full speed even when the CPU reaches ~92 degrees C. Did I do something wrong when removing/replacing the heat sink (and positioning those plastic sheets at the fan outlets) or is this a software problem? The system cooling policy is set to Active, and I have not changed anything before or after the repaste. Also, the ambient temperatures are very high (35-40 C) where I live. Is there no way I can prevent GPU thermal throttling at such high ambient temps besides using coolers and thermal repasting?

EDIT: While playing a game, the laptop crashed (froze, no BSOD) probably because of the undervolt I was testing, and as soon as it crashed, the fans cranked up to full speed. This leads me to believe that it must be a software problem, and not a hardware/BIOS problem. Any ideas what is causing this?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. rrusek

rrusek Newbie

Reputations:
    P35X v7

Cannot wake from sleep using USB Mouse/Keyboard!

Seems like this is a know problem with Gigabyte Laptops.

I don't understand how in this day and age this would be acceptable when you spend $2,000 on a laptop that you want to use as a desktop replacement.

Coming from a MSI GS60 for the GTX1070.

Not getting a good feel after my first experience with Gigabyte Laptops!

5. medfreak

medfreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a P35x v3 (980m, 4710Hq)

So there is a relatively new (at least to me) firmware update that I am trying to get released on 2017/03/16 "FA10 FC10 & EC F019":

http://www.gigabyte.us/Laptop/P35X-v3#support-dl

Everytime I try to update it I get this:

Error.jpg

Any ideas ?

6. EvilTak

Reputations:
    That BIOS version is for Windows 7 and not Windows 10 (it says so on the site). For Windows 10 you need to flash the FB10 FD10 version.

7. medfreak

Reputations:
    I quoted the wrong version I used in my post. If you look at my screen shot, I actually used the correct version which is the B10D10. Anyway I figured it out finally I just extracted the .exe setup into a folder and then ran the SmartFlash as administrator, instead of just the installer.

I thought this bios update would help with an issue with my Fan. It seems no matter what I do on Smart Manager, trying to custom set my fan speed, nothing happens to my fans. They only ramp up when the temprature rises, but I just can't set them to 100% at all times on the custom setting. Any idea why that is the case?

8. EvilTak

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I recently contacted Gigabyte support, but all they did was say why they removed the full fan speed option, not how to get it back. I'd like the fans to spin up fully before the GPU throttles, not after, and hence not allow it to throttle at all.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

9. medfreak

Reputations:
    I see. Do you know if they removed it at the BIOS level or with a Smart Manager software? Would it be possible to just look for an older version of Smart Manager and see if it works?

10. EvilTak

Reputations:
    Most likely BIOS level (at least that's what Gigabyte says). It's worth trying an older version of Smart Manager (the one which had the Extreme fan mode) though, but that is only if you can find it somewhere. I haven't had much luck, but do let us know if you do find a version that works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.