***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

1. epicninja

epicninja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So i noticed today that the bottom of my laptop was not connected at one screw. I tried screwwing it back in but never caught nor did the nonattatched bottom become flush again. If i turn the laptop around i can hear something rattling inside. The screw loose isn't a corner so no big deal, but has anyone encountered this issue before? Don't wanna open her up if I can help it.

2. epicninja

epicninja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am running a 1 TB 850 Evo in the msata and it works fine as far as I can tell.

3. schnobastian

schnobastian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I love my P35x v4, bought it back in August of 2015, but I've been having a pretty consistent issue I've been unable to diagnose: it seemingly randomly takes forever to boot, even while running W10 on an 850 Evo. Sometimes it will boot up in a less than ten seconds like it should, other times it will take around two minutes, just sitting at the Gigabyte boot screen. I have reinstalled Windows multiple times, on my other 850 Evo and on a hard drive, neither solving the issue. Another strange thing is that when it takes a long time to boot it makes an audible popping sound while sitting at the Gigabyte screen.
    Additionally, I have never been able to get it to sleep successfully. It tries to sleep, makes a strange beeping noise and seems to shut down.
    Lastly, it never shuts down successfully. It always boots straight back up after a shut down, within seconds. I usually have to do some combination of holding the power button down and something else to actually get it to shut down.
    Could this be a motherboard issue? The fact that I've tried multiple drives and installations of Windows kinda lead me to a hardware issue.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. jiexi

jiexi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Disable the wake on lan / rtc setting in bios, that might help with the random waking.

I too sometimes have my computer randomly turn back on after hibernating. Very rare though, not sure what causes it.

5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a loosely similar issue with my Windows 10 install, but just in terms of the boot time. Occasionally it will boot fast in a few seconds, other times it will boot slower (an extra 30 secs, for about 40secs overall). I've found that strangely if you don't autohide the taskbar then it will boot fast all the time - a strange bug indeed, I have reported it in the Microsoft forums.

schnobastian likes this.
  6. sparkle999

sparkle999 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Arthedes, how did you get on, did you manage to sort out your machine in the end?

Personally I'd open her up (taking due care and following online guides). The screws are of different lengths so it sounds as though whoever put it together last may have put the wrong screw in the wrong hole and/or not aligned the case correctly so it isn't flush. So it may be a relatively simple case of carefully dismantling and putting back together. Or send it back if that's how it came!

Hope you've managed to get this resolved, it doesn't sound good when you describe it like that...makes me think of loose connections or something electrical. The only thing that sprang to mind around the booting up was relating to drivers when you install windows, and making sure you installed all of them and the right ones. [bit of an aside, but I did battle with a similar issue on my daughter's laptop - having to wait circa 1 minute extra at bootup entirely due to the wrong switchable graphics driver. This was an old samsung though so not really comparable to your situation]. If you've taken it back to stock windows with the right drivers, and it's still misbehaving then I'd look in the event manager for any info/insight, and if that didn't help I'd be looking at returning it for a replacement?

7. schnobastian

schnobastian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Through either a recent Windows Insider update or disabling wake on lan / rtc setting in bios my slow boot problems seem to have gone away, along with the audible pop on boot. It still will not successfully shut down though. Baby steps. The slow boot with auto hide task bars is a strange bug indeed. I always hide my task bars and never figured it could play into my boot time.

8. medfreak

medfreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bberry110 likes this.
  9. einigkeitundrecht

einigkeitundrecht Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it's probably inside the laptop, possibly near the gpu. worrying, I'd open her up and repaste the cpu and gpu, she's still under warranty.

with Gelid extreme I've managed to reduce my idle temps 15c from idle.

10. axoim

axoim Newbie

Reputations:
    To Raid or Not?

I have 2 x Samsung 950 PRO 512 and 2 x Samsung 840 PRO 256. The system is already fast and very responsive. However, I was told not to RAID SSDs because it will reduce their lifetime. Is it worth it? Anyone else run RAID-0 on 950 PRO?