***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So I impulse bought a v3 980M FHD model for $1350 this morning when I saw the sale. I was hoping to get a v4 but that deal was too good to pass up. One thing I want to ask after reading through the thread a bit. Is the general consensus that repasting is worth it and improves temperatures? I don't want to even bother if it's only a couple degrees.

2. derkeysersoze

derkeysersoze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where did you get it for that price?

3. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I second that question, where did you get it and are more available. I wouldn't mind replacing my aging desktop with another P35X at that price!

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Amazon Marketplace on Prime day. Unfortunately it was only that day. Sorry for not replying sooner. :(

5. house3272

house3272 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you guys using anything in place of Dolby Digital Plus?
    I find the interface for EQ to be unbelievably infuriating to use.

6. p0werfru1t

p0werfru1t Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker here in need of some advice.
    I'm looking to buy a new laptop and have it narrowed down to 2 which mostly fulfill my needs: P35XV4 or NP8652-S.
    My main concern is the thermal throttling on the Gigabyte. Anyone know if it's better/worse with the new broadwell CPU?

I will be using it around the house (ocasionally take it to work/school) and mostly to play some not so demanding games that I would like to play at max or close to max settings (Cities Skylines, Skyforge, Archeage) during periods of up to 3 hours on average. Maybe throttling wouldnt even be a problem with what I'm going to be doing? Any help will be appreciated :D

7. masterkeyify

masterkeyify Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Broadwell P35x. Throttling is probably the same as the experiences had by the V3 people here.

With the stock paste I was throttling pretty hard, I saw around 10-15% performance losses when the throttling kicked in. I repasted with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra, which helped somewhat, and a small undervolt (all it could handle) also helped a little. The throttling is pretty minor. I have an undercooler, which negates it almost entirely.

I have Cities and I can get max settings at 1080p easily. Skyforge and Archeage I'd imagine would run at max or close to it. I can run Witcher 3 at 1080p medium-high.

If you're willing to repaste and mess with Intel XTU, then the performance will be very similar. If you're moving it around a lot, the P35x is better suited being much thinner. I replaced an "old" Y500, which feels like a beast compared to the P35x.

Tell me if there's anything in particular you want me to test, I'll see what I can do.

8. arpas

arpas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think soon install Windows 10.
    Before that I would restore the operating system to the factory version.
    Do you recommend? I should use the restore function through F9 or use "Smart USB backup"?
    Anyone has any experience with this?
    Any other comments regarding Windows 10?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's a Windows 10 thread here that may be of some use:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/

bberry110 likes this.
  10. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Depends on the paste and application from factory. Generally speaking, you can almost always apply a better compound and usually do a better job with the application that how the system arrives to you, thus reducing temperatures (noticeable more during load than during idle).

On the flip side, you always risk your warranty doing so.