***Gigabyte P35X owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cakefish, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ConvergentNinja

ConvergentNinja Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any more info on what the 1080p screen is like on the v4? Haven't found any reviews at all for it!

2. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Since there was no P35X V2 I will assume you mean the P35W V2 with the 870m. I don't see any hardware differences between them other than the GPU. I'm not sure if the screens are the same or the hot swappability of the optical drive bay on the P35W V2.

I would think CPU tasks would run the same on both.

I know you said besides the GPU, but for anyone else interested it looks like the 870m is roughly half as fast as the 980m and from the reviews I read it looks like you could realistically expect 50-100% more FPS from the P35X V3 depending on the game and settings. It looks like if you ran at the highest settings forcing it to be GPU limited you could get up to twice the FPS in game. In lower settings it would only be about 50% more FPS because the CPU starts limiting it more.

3. acc4eval

acc4eval Newbie

Reputations:
    Check my question several days ago and couple of related answers.
    From semi-official sources, the panel is expected to be either LP156WF4-SPB1 or AUO B156HAN01.2 - both have very good reviews, some people like them even more than the new 3K WQHD+ ones.

4. house3272

house3272 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, yes the P35Wv2 is what I meant.

I'm in need of a portable laptop with decent battery life. For a **** ton of coding, emulation, rendering, and Adobe stuff.
    I was going to get the Xv3 until I saw this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233059
    Figured I'd be getting a new lappy after skylake and volta comes out so no need to go all out.

So then, if I'm fine with a crappier gpu, there's nothing else to consider yes?

5. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wow that does look like a good deal with that price cut! I'm no expert but from what I read I would think it would be a good choice.

One thing to keep in mind is this is a thin chassis with powerful components so you will have more heat than a thicker or less powerful laptop. I normally run mine with turbo boost disabled because it lowers my temps a ton, and makes zero difference in the games that I play anyway. You may need that extra CPU power with what you're doing.

house3272 likes this.
  6. house3272

Reputations:
    Oh yea, I've been hesitant to buy these thin but powerful lappies for this exact reason (and battery life).
    I don't imagine I'll ever be rendering on battery power haha.

Buta, how bad is the heat doing less stressful things like 10+ tabs on chrome?

Anyways thanks for the info~

7. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm usually in stealth fan mode when not gaming, so the fans are the quietest they will ever be at the cost of the temps being a little higher. Right now while I'm watching a video and browser running my CPU is in the lower 50C's across the CPU in stealth.

On the max fan setting in the same scenario its running mid 30C's.

There are two in between modes for a more middle of the road. I have found that I usually do one or the other though when I'm at home. I will say that I have had good luck with the auto high fan setting to for when I don't feel like switching it back and forth. I have even gamed on stealth, knowing that it gimps the performance but again it keeps the laptop as quiet as possible, say in a public place where I don't want to disturb others, or when I just wanted to go as long as possible on battery.

8. house3272

Reputations:
    That's not bad. Neat.
    Have you repasted, or is it factory?

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree they are good temps but realize that is just browsing/video/office tasks, nothing demanding at all.

I repasted with IC Diamond when I first got it. It made a nice difference with my CPU but nothing measurable with the GPU from the limited testing I did before and after. That said it improved my overall experience because keeping the CPU cooler helps give more headroom for the GPU as well since thee are linked directly together via heatpipes.

10. house3272

Reputations:
    Got it, thanks!