Gigabyte P35g V2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Scriptabit, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My temps are about the same as yours on the CPU and at idle ... I'm okay with this, personally.

I had a Sony VPCCB "Signature" notebook for 2.5 years before getting this and it idled at about the same, actually a bit hotter (it's a non gaming notebook) ... never had any issues because of it. My desktop machine, which is water cooled, idles at around 35C in the very same ambient temps as the P35 laptop ... freakish the temp difference. The fan kicks up a bit here and there but it doesn't bother me as there's generally ambient noise enough that I really never hear it unless I game...

I'm a perpetual tinkerer, though and so I'll probably try various thermal compounds and re seating the heatsinks some time in the future ... for now, things are fine.

Played about an hour of Hawken on High graphic settings earlier and the GPU never went above 76C ... that's pretty good as far as I'm concerned and considering how thin this thing is.

2. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am moving to P35G from Sony SVS15. I tried ASUS in the meantime. I decided that I could go a bit heavier than Sony but not as heavy as ASUS. Definitely need 16GB of RAM (Sony goes up to 12GB only) to run SharePoint server in Hyper-V VM) and as much disk space as I could cram into it. I got P35G for development mostly but also for some 3D modeling and a bit of gaming. So I don't mind underclocking/volting graphics if it helps with temperatures. Will try MSI Afterburner probably.

3. s1rrah

Reputations:
    I was playing with EVGA PrecisionX for a bit but it was loading some weird background .EXE called "EVGAvoltagetuner.exe" which would stay resident and continuously use about 25% CPU cycles ... was keeping idle temps up in the 60's .. did some searching about and lots of other notebook users were having the same issue so I installed it ...

I use my P35 predominately for work as well (video edit/render and audio work) so not too keen on overclocking ... the gains would be minimal at best anyway on a mobile platform.

4. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Does anybody know if the 860M in the P35G can at some point be user upgraded to a 870M or 880M?

I'm new to this whole gaming notebook thing so pardon if that's a stupid question. I'm kind of wishing I'd gotten the P35W now since seeing some bench comparisons between the 860 and 870 cards ...

Just not sure if these graphics "cards" can be swapped or not ... and where one would go about finding one for sale ...

thanks

5. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, I believe the GPU is soldered to the motherboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

6. Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have to say. the P35G V2 runs very quietly when you're just web browsing or word processing.

7. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unless I am gaming, in which case it goes to 125W, it consumes only 61W and I am running it off a small portable 95W power adapter (using ASUS connector tip). Very handy.

8. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Has anybody else upgraded to the latest Realtek Audio drivers/suite available from Gigabyte's website? This new version is 6.0.1.7209 ...

I upgraded to this and everything installed fine and sounds play fine, but the Realtek Audio Manager interface, accessible from the tray icon, seems to have lost some of the previous drivers functionality ...

Namely, I can no longer find the "sound effects" and otherwise "EQ" settings which used to be available as one of the main tabs (grouped with the "Speakers, Digital Output, Microphone" tabs) ... can't find the EQ/effects settings anywhere now ...

Also, the previous driver (that shipped with my P35G) had a "headphone virtualization" check box (think that's what it was called) on the main interface as well which added some pseudo surround effects when listening through headphones)...

Just wondering if anyone else upgraded to that latest Realtek driver and if you saw similar changes ...

Think I'm going to re install the driver on the Gigabyte CD and see if that changes things back to how they were ...

Otherwise ...

Installed a second Crucial M550 512gb SSD yesterday and made a 1TB RAID 0 array for the system ...

The throughput is ludicrous:

-------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 2.2
    -------------------------------
    Sequential Read : 949.954 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 914.656 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 854.628 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 855.518 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 32.773 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 119.822 MB/s
    Test Size : 100 MB
    Date : 2014/06/11 6:22:25
    :)

** EDIT **

Removed the above referenced 7209 Realtek Drivers and re installed the earlier version included on the Gigabyte driver CD ...

The "Headphone Virtualization" setting is back and also the "Effects" and EQ settings tab has returned ... not sure what's up with the 7209 driver removing those things ... the Headphone Virtualization works really good for games ...

FYI ...

9. Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the findings. I won't be upgrading those Realtek Drivers due to that issue.

10. SirSaltsAlot

SirSaltsAlot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where is the sub woofer speaker in this picture? I can't see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.