Gigabyte P35g V2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Scriptabit, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am looking for a laptop that I can use for creating virtual lab environments, development, and gaming.

(I understand it is typically more cost effective to build a desktop for gaming and to purchase an ultrabook for traveling needs, but due to a number of reasons this is not a good solution for me.)

Given the above use cases, I am looking for a laptop with the following:

OS Compatibility
    Linux, Windows 8.1
    Size/Weight
    <~5lbs and <1" thick
    Processor
    i7 Quad Core CPU (4702 would be ideal for the lower TDP, but 4700HQ is also OK)
    RAM
    Minimum 16GB DDR3
    Display
    15"-16"
    Resolution of either 1920*1080 or 3840*2160
    (3840*2160 is only acceptable as it will scale nicely to 1920*1080. I don't want to deal with high DPI issues within Linux / Windows)
    Touchscreen preferred but not required
    >70% NTSC Color Gamut Preferred
    IPS or AHVA Panel Type Preferred
    Storage
    Minimum of 2 user replaceable non-proprietary drives. I intend to house large capacity SSDs (either mSATA and/or 2.5" are fine)
    GPU
    Nvidia Maxwell Architecture 850M/860M (Targeting Maxwell given the portability/cooling/battery life/dx12 support/long-term driver support/performance implications)
    Connectivity/IO Ports
    Full-Size Gigabit Ethernet Port (No dongle)
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0
    VGA (Required if no DisplayPort)
    DisplayPort (Required if no VGA)
    HDMI
    SD Card Reader
    Minimum of 2 USB 3.0 ports.
    Build Quality
    Solid keyboard with good key travel
    Low fan noise ('Nice to have', I understand that when gaming the fan noise will be significantly higher, particularly in smaller systems)
    Aluminum chassis ('Nice to have')
    >=60Wh Battery
    Dual-Fan cooling, preferably with rear exhaust
    Budget
    ~$1,600-$2,000 for the laptop. An additional ~$1400 for SSD upgrades.
    Purchase Timeline
    Before July, can be stretched if a good option presents itself.

Given what I am looking for, It looks like the Gigabyte p35g v2 could fit the bill nicely. I have concerns regarding the fan noise based on reviews of the previous model (p35k), but that was also with a 765m with a higher TDP than the Maxwell 860m. Unfortunately I do not know if the P35G V2 will be using a kepler or maxwell based 860m. I'm hoping the P35G V2 is a Maxwell based system like the 14" P34G V2. Given the fact that Gigabyte is releasing a similiar model with a 870m Kepler based GPU in the same chassis (P35W V2), I am concerned that the p35g v2 will use a kepler architecture MXM 860m in order to reduce manufacturing costs by using a common mainboard between the two models.

Any other recommendations out there for me?

I'm avoiding the Lenovo y50 due to the security concerns surrounding Lenovo hardware and I have ruled out the the MSI GS60 as it is using a Kepler based 860m. The MSI Apache systems are a bit larger than I would like and use a single fan for cooling.

Any news regarding this laptop model or systems meeting the requirements outlined above are welcomed. I am going to keep an eye on the Asus Zenbook NX500 and see what that looks like when it is released in April.

Long post - I know. Thank you for bearing with me!

Edit:
    I was avoiding the Lenovo as there have been rumors of hardware-level security issues, but it appears they may have been false.

Report of issues:
    Spy agencies ban Lenovo PCs on security concerns

Lenovo refuting claim:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...HQ5ldK5XlFPwPpG-05jCoXw&bvm=bv.63934634,d.cWc

Australia Department Of Defence Claiming the Report Was Factually Incorrect:
    Defence News and Media » Media articles in The Australian Financial Review, 27 and 29 July 2013

CIO Article regarding the FUD
    False Lenovo Security Report Only Strengthens World's Top PC Maker - CIO.com
    IT Business Edge Article regarding the FUD
    FUD Attack Against Lenovo May Actually Showcase Security Advantage

ygohome likes this.
  3. bkloppenborg

bkloppenborg Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone heard of a release date or price for the p35g?

4. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This maximumpc article talks about every model in the gigabyte press release regarding the new nvidia 8xx series laptops and their release dates.

The only model not called out by name is the p35g v2, but I think it may be an unintentional ommision. I believe the p35g v2 may share the release date of the p35w v2 covered in the article(late march), given the way the p35g v2 was an italicized note under the p35w v2 section within the aforementioned press release.

Gigabyte Releases Several Gaming Laptops with Nvidia GTX 800M Series Graphics | Maximum PC

5. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The nvidia website says this model will have 870m which is also a keplar like the msi gs.
    For a thin maxwell gpu model there is only the. 34g available now.

6. yung_dt

yung_dt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a heads up that Linux isn't clear of problems on the Gigabyte laptops. I have the P35K, and the elantech touchpad isn't detected when I boot into Linux. I'm assuming Gigabyte is still going with elantech touchpads. Also, sound doesn't work out of the box; I haven't had enough time to mess with alsa to get it working. The touchpad works if you restart into Linux from Windows, so it's not the end of the world, just annoying.

I used a Lenovo laptop and the keyboard was better on their models, had more feedback. But the P35K keyboard isn't bad. Regarding sound noise, I haven't gamed on this laptop yet, but the fan isn't spinning when I'm programming or other office tasks. When set on turbo (max rpm) mode, it's loud. Replacing drives is easy. Just unscrew the bottom panel and remove/install the drives normally.

The one gripe with the laptop is that the speakers are terrible. The sound is muffled partly due to the speakers placed underneath the motherboard. Just don't expect "high fidelity" sound as advertised.

There are a few minor issues, but I would still recommend the Gigabyte laptops, it meets almost all of your requirements. The P35K is a really nice system, and the refreshes are probably even better.

Scriptabit likes this.
  7. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The p35w v2 is an 870m, the p35g v2 is an 860m that may be maxwell.

stamar likes this.
  8. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the helpful info, particularly the Linux compatibility notes and the info about fan noise.

9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you are correct.

10. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Another interesting note:

It appears that the P35G V2/P35W V2 laptops will be using a similiar (if not identical) chassis to the P35K. The P35K chassis is known to have structural issues (exacerbated by the placement of the optical drive). Gentech has a youtube video regarding it:

Gigabyte P35K weak spot test 2 - YouTube

I might just have to go with the P34G V2 as a backup option. I really want a 15.6" screen and I was looking forward to having room for a 3rd drive, but if the chassis isn't strong enough it can cause lots of issues, particularly when the stress point is in the front of the laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.