***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Following up - Yes it is possible. I am writing this using the 8260ngw :D all it cost me was a £1.50 adapter. I only now need a set of antenna, the 7260 has larger connectors so the stock ones wont fit unless there is an adapter.....

cheers

2. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It should have a bit less heat to deal with. The 970m has a TDP of about 80 Watts, while the 1050 ti is around 75 Watts. One of the reasons I held out for a 970m version instead of getting a 870m laptop was it was Maxwell instead of Kepler. So there would be performance improvement due to the newer architecture. But more importantly, there would be less heat produced due to shrinking the process from 28nm to 16nm.

Unfortunately, the second part never happened. TSMC and other fabs had difficulty getting 16nm processes working (problems with creating 3D FinFETs). As a result, Maxwell ended up being produced on 28nm, which invalidated some of Nvidia's design criteria. That's why Maxwell only came out on the low-end 8x0 series laptop GPUs and no desktop release. Higher end 8x0 laptop GPUs were basically revamped Kepler designs. Nvidia had to go back to the drawing board and redesign Maxwell for 28nm, which is what produced the 900 series.

The Pascal 10x0 series is produced on 16nm. That's why they're able to use what's basically a desktop GPU in a laptop. I really would've liked to have waited for it, but my previous laptop was literally falling apart. So I ended up getting one of the early 970m laptops, extra heat and all.

The other problem is the terrible vent design on the P34 platform. If you check back in this thread, someone who's cut out the vents entirely and replaced it with black speaker cloth reported a 10C drop in temperature. I think Gigabyte has pushed the P34 design far past what was healthy in terms of heat dissipation. They really should've redesigned the chassis and vents before putting in something hotter than the 45 Watt TDP 860m the P34 debuted with.

ehou333 and rinneh like this.
  3. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Following up to my post above about the wifi card.

[​IMG]

Finally got the right antennae to get the 8260ngw working to full potential. May look out for smaller adapter card but otherwise it is fine.

4. D.Edison

D.Edison Newbie

Reputations:
    does some one care to explain what C/C++ programming and Linux has to do with wifi if it does at all

5. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing as far as I know, unless you are thinking of a specific context. Using Linux does not boost your WiFi signal if that's what you mean. C/C++ is a programming language. So unless you are writing an application or driver that USES wi-fi directly then the two are unrelated.

thiswasnttaken likes this.
  6. thiswasnttaken

thiswasnttaken Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So after sending my laptop for a replacement battery, and having Gigabyte break it, I've settled my case and received $420, plus keeping my laptop.
    The laptop screen is bent, and it's coming apart in one corner. 6 of the screw bolts (the bits you screw the screws into) are broken off, so it's now gaping open on 2 corner, but it works.

I'm still stuck with a non-functioning battery, as it'll literally die as soon as there is any even remotely demanding task happening, and dies no matter what at 60%-70% battery charge. Does anybody know how changing batteries works, and where you can buy a replacement battery?

I found this site: http://www.storebattery.sg/laptop-batteries-gigabyte-batteries-c-1_4419.html ,but both of the P34 batteries they have are sold out.

I'm gonna get a new battery, and make the vent openings larger. My battery started failing after 10-12 months, and I believe it's due to the heat.

Edit: if anybody has suggestions for how to fix the other issues, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to an album showing the damages caused internally: http://imgur.com/a/orBao

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. ehou333

ehou333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you can buy a battery from Gigabyte for around $100. My battery was under warranty, but because I didn't want to send my whole laptop back, they offered to charge my card $100 and send me a battery and then when I returned my defective battery, they would reverse the charge. The bill was in the form of a purchase of a battery, so I assume you can just purchase it from them.

8. thiswasnttaken

thiswasnttaken Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's amazing, thanks so much!
    What number did you call? I'm currently living in Malaysia, and they don't have any customer support here. Just wondering if there was a purchase division, or RMA number or something.

9. ehou333

ehou333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, I am in the USA so I was serviced by Gigabyte USA. This is the info at the bottom of my RMA emails with them.

GIGABYTE Customer Service
    17358 Railroad St
    City of Industry CA 91748
    Tel: (626) 854-9338 op. 4
    Fax: (626) 854-9326
    services@gigabyte-usa.com

10. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, I see there is a new firmware FB07/F009, having just installed, it is running fine. Anybody know what this is for/has changed ?

Previously on FB05/F007 (I think)

ehou333 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.