***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehou333

ehou333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are the Intel gpus different for different generations of i7 cores? I have a skylake and my Intel GPU driver is 20.19.15.4331 and I have no issues with crashing playing skyrim or fallout. If the gpus are the same, maybe you can get your hands on the 20.19.15.4331 driver as I'm assuming it will stop windows from updating since it would be a higher version.

2. barellrooool

barellrooool Newbie

Reputations:
    Does someone know the different thicknesses of the stock thermal pads on the heat spreader?

I changed all of them to a 1mm thick pad of Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 but I forgot to check for the different thicknesses. I assumed that 1mm would be enough but there are some parts that aren't really in contact. As a temporary solution, I bought 1.5mm pads to replace the ones that was too thin to make contact.

It works fine with no thermal issues but I just want to do it the proper way and to have some peace of mind.

Thanks.

3. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, that's when the battery self-discharges after reaching 100%.

Say you start with the battery at 50%. You plug in the charger. It reaches 100%. At that point it stops charging. The battery starts to self-discharge (loses charge even if the laptop is off). In the old days laptops would immediately top it back to 100%, which was killing batteries within a year or two. Nowadays laptops will wait until the charge has dropped to about 95% or 90% before they top it off again.

In my case, it was going 50% -> 94% and just sitting at 94% forever (well, several days) while saying it was charging.

It correctly stops charging when it says 100%. The problem is I think the battery is somehow being damaged so what it thinks is 100% is actually more, say 110%.

I think that's why it was stopping at 94% - that's probably the correct charge level for 100%. But because the laptop thought it wa only 94%, it kept trying to charge the battery. Given enough time it managed to overcharge the battery to 110% (what it thinks is 100%). Which probably isn't good for the battery's health.

Hmm, yeah, they are different. Mine's a Haswell. The problem wasn't crashing during games. It was some incompatibility between the 4301 Intel driver which caused the nVidia driver to instantly crash the moment I tried to start a game or any program which (tried to) use the nVidia card.

I got rid of the problem for a while by telling Win 10 not to update the Intel GPU driver. But then Microsoft decided to make all Win 10 updates a single patch containing all the updates, and every time it updated the problem resurfaced. The newer 4331 driver seems to have fixed it though.

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

Any of you use a slim charge/power adapter with your P34G? if so which one?

I was using the Cooler Master SNA 95 (which was fantastic) but it just died on me after 3 years of use and its not sold anymore.
    Only comparable one I have come across is the Innergie mCube Slim 95. Anyone tested it? and anything else to recommend?

Thanks

5. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use a Razer blade PSU

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

6. jimmyb

jimmyb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Does it come with multiple tips?

Also, the new one is 165W and the older one seems to be 150W. isnt that too strong?
    I was under the impression that lower wattage isnt harmfull it just charges slower but more wattage is harmful. could be wrong.

Thanks

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The tip on the razer charger is the same as MSI and Gigabyte. But the lower wattage can be a problem It will run constantl yon edge while under load, which also cause the battery to drain while under load and thus cause more wear and tear.

8. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He's saying the newer Razer Blade PSU is 165W

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

9. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anybody succesfully upgraded the wifi card in the P34w v3 ?

I beleive it is an intel 7260 HMW PCIE - in fact I know it is as I've looked. I even bought an 8260, but its an 8260 NGW which is completely the wrong type (late night ebay meh)

So what I really want is 82xx or later HMW PCIE card....

Just airing my thoughts....

10. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't think there is one. Alternatively a killer 1202 is good for gaming at least. Never lagged on Fifa where as the intel one was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk