***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveoz

steveoz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did it turn out?

Did you get a good drop in temps? Best mod IMO for the notebook.

2. steveoz

steveoz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Speakers would be a well worth while mod if possible. I am not sure about the internal amplifier though.

The JBL speakers from a lenovo y510 are awesome sounding for laptop speakers, but its also down to the amp. The speakers in the P34 are so bad though, not even worth using. I can't even listen to someone talking on a youtube video without having to plug in my headphones.

I actually compared the sound from my laptop to my old one plus one mobile phone, the very small mobile phone speakers produce more volume, and all round more sound both low down and high up, it's crazy,..

3. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, very quick update about my temperature "problems".

After a repaste with liquid ultra I was still getting very high temps, 85°C and more (plus throttling), with a -63mV undervolt and and an underclock at around 2.5x (sometimes even at 2.0x, or lower). Those temperatures were recorded in my current place in the US, at an elevation of approximately 7000 feet high.

When I went to France for Christmas, at sea level, I was getting reasonable temperatures: same undervolt, but with the cores at 3.8x, 3.7x and 2.7x for the two last cores. Maximum around 78 degrees, from what I remember.

Back to the US: after one or two days, I was back to throttling and high temperatures all over again. I was recommended to send my machine back, because it could be a problem with the fans, the heatsink, or something.

I preferred to wait until I'll be back to France for the summer, just to see if the temperatures would lower again aaaaand...I've been in France now since beginning of June, and I didn't have overheating problems. It's literally working like a charm: undervolt at -63mV, 3.8x, 3.7x, 2.7x and 2.7x, the maximum I've had was 82°C, during one of those extreme hot summer, and after a long gaming session.

I think it's safe to assume now that the lower air density in altitude makes the laptop hotter, since it doesn't have enough air to cool down. I'm hesitating about making some holes on the vents of the back panel, to help with the air-flow, but since I'm not very good with do-it-yourself kind of work, I'll pass for the time being. I'll probably give it a try when I'll be about to buy a new gaming laptop though!
    In any case, I'm pretty sure I've nailed once and for all my temperature problem. I just wish I wasn't living in an high-altitude place in the US...Obviously, if now one of you tells me "well, I'm at 10.000 feet high, and I'm getting temps around 70°C!", I'll have to reconsider my theory...

Now I wonder if this affects other laptops/PCs/systems as well, but I guess the answer is "yes".

4. jObes

jObes Newbie

Reputations:
    It is well worth doing it :) It is hard to measure the different because processor can still hit max temps of 96c while on maximum performance but then I can't see much throttling now and is a lot more quite. I use my laptop without turbo boost and I have it set to x28 and -40mV and it stays below 90c around 88c max and gpu around 80c max with a little overclock 90mhz on the core and 100mhz on memory(my room temperature is around 28C) . The biggest different is how quite fans are now even on gaming tweak and those settings they never jump to the highest step and still keep it cool below 90 so this is what I was hoping to get . I can hear the sound from speakers now ;) So this mod let laptop breath more and it looks like it could be even cooler but the fans don't want to go for higher speeds now, and I'm very pleased with it because on full speed it was just like my girlfriend hair dryer :p also for a speaker solution if I need a bit more sound on the go I bought this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OJ43...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=MX1P9TYW69VB0SG6HPJ6 but a while ago I paid 10£....
    and Im really surprised how loud this little speaker. I was hoping to mod speakers but there is just so little space you can't fit there anything else unfortunately..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. ehou333

ehou333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I'm also at above 7000 feet in the US (mountains of New Mexico) and I don't seem to have as many issues as you. I get around 42C with normal usage (internet, pdf, spotify) and around 80C gaming with max fans. I'm not sure if I'm throttling (sorry I'm a noob and don't know how to check). I haven't done any repasting or undervolting yet. I have the v5 and I've only had it for 2 months if it makes any difference.

6. Koeneuze

Koeneuze Newbie

Reputations:
    Quick question: what are the newest BIOS and Smart Manager versions that work on the P34W v3? The Downloads sections on the Gigabyte website don't seem to be updated for older models like the v3.

On the Gigabyte website I found the 5.5.7 Smart Manager which works fine (except Smart Dashboard which instantly crashes the manager) under the P34W v5.

I also installed FB05 BIOS update (my laptop came with FB04), but the v4 and v5 seem to have never BIOS versions. Do those work for the v3 too, and if so, are they recommended?

7. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They guess (and hope) they have replaced the cooling somewhat since V3, so it might be that.

However, I've just ran into a HUGE issue: I've traveled back to the US from France yesterday, and this morning I've realized my laptop is wobbling a lot. Turns out the lithium battery has swollen up considerably over the course of the trip.
    I literally don't get it: the battery has been fine since day one, it was fine while I was in France, this is not the first time I travel by plane with the laptop so I don't get how it would have happened, I haven't used it at all during the whole trip, the laptop case has been secured under the seat in front of me during the whole trip. It literally went from fine to death because of a mere flight.
    Unbelievable, this is the last time I'm getting a Gigabyte laptop: I could deal with the other issues, but this not! I'm back using my trusty clevo W110er, and the next laptop I get will be a clevo as well.

I took some pictures, but I will post them later as I have some things to do today.

I highly doubt the battery is going to "unswell" by itself, even though I'll wait a day or two see what happens, so I'm gonna have to resend the unit while it's still under warranty. I've read using laptops with swollen batteries is dangerous, but I'll have to do a back-up of all of my files anyway (and then delete anything personal before sending it back).

This really really sucks!

EDIT: I wonder if there is any way I can actually remove the battery and use the laptop without it...In any case, I'll have to dispose of the battery somewhere: I hope there is a place for that in my town, don't want it around me nor simply throwing it in the garbage.

EDIT 2: I've just contacted GentechPC, who will then contact Gigabyte to see if they have some spare batteries. Maybe they can send those simply by mail? "crossing fingers".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dont try to remove the battery, it is quite hazardous now to do so. It is stuck with adhesive by the way. The best thing you could do is remove the harddisk and SSD for backup purposes.

9. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh geez, well you thank you for clarifying some doubts I've had: I tried to remove the battery, and couldn't do anything since it seemed to be glued to the laptop. Now I wonder why they would do that: I contacted Gigabyte who told me they can send me a new battery by mail, meaning replacing the battery should be a piece of cake...o_O
    Also, this webpage shows that to remove the battery you only need to unscrew 4 screws...Those are missing on my machine.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Gigabyte+P34G+Battery+Replacement/41863

What would you (and others) recommend me do? Replace the battery through my re-seller (GentechPC), or directly through Gigabyte?
    EDIT: I've just noticed Gigabyte requests to send the laptop without any components! No ram, no CPU, nothing...How am I supposed to remove the CPU?...

Here is what they say:
    ONLY SEND THE LAPTOP AND AC ADAPTER

Please remove all mounting brackets/hardware/accessories (including cables, CPU, memory, manual) before returning the product(s). G.B.T. INC. is not responsible for any customer owned hardware/accessories included with the product(s).

IF MATERIAL OTHER THAN THE PRODUCT IS RECEIVED, THE NON-RELATED MATERIAL WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

As for the drives, I've never had to remove those: is it very hard? Are there tricky connectors and cables? :confused:...I'm also not sure of where the SSD exactly (is the rectangular thing on the left of the laptop? I've always thought that was the wireless card...[​IMG]).

Any recommendations on where to store the disks in the meantime?

EDIT : Gigabyte keeps telling me by email that I should be able to remove the battery easily...seems they're not aware of how they manufacturing their own products...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It might be the case by now it is easy to remove. I just remembered an older disassembly where some adhesive was between the battery and the housing. You might be able to wiggle it out. But really becareful.

Or ask Gentech PC to assist you, as far as I know they are quite forthcoming to their customers with their support.