***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HDMI only supports up to 60 Hz. It does support 120 Hz when transmitting 3D video, but AFAIK there's no way to hack that to work for regular video.

If you want to do 120/144 Hz, you need displayport (or dual-link DVI, but I've never seen that on a laptop). This was one of the reasons I had a really hard time deciding between the P34W (only HDMI) and P35W (which has displayport).

All Nvidia Optimus laptops use the integrated Intel video card to drive the screen. The nvidia GPU acts as a co-processor, and the image it generates is sent to the Intel card for display (you may have noticed there is no tearing - essentially, vsync is always on with this arrangement as only completed frames are sent from the nvidia to Intel card).

A few laptops allow you to turn off this arrangement in the BIOS, leaving the nvidia card to drive the screen directly (at the cost of battery life). And even fewer laptops have probably the best arrangement - Intel card drives the screen, but nvidia card drives the HDMI port if you have an external monitor connected. But from the tests I've done, the Intel card is always in control of the P34W's video output, both internally and externally.

A side effect of this arrangement is that certain old or poorly-coded games will only run on the Intel video card. These games were programmed to look for a video card, but assume you only ever have one video card so stop searching after finding one. So on Optimus laptops they find the Intel card and use it, instead of searching further, noticing the nvidia coprocessor GPU, and using that.

2. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its not a big deal as such. My Ancient desktop will do 120/144, as it has DVI. I can get the HDMI to do 120Hz at 1024x768 which does fine for the games I play, and you can force a game to use the 970 which is fine (can be done in windows) But yes the 4600 handles all windows gfx.

I picked the P34 for its light weight and portability, last year. The monitor is a recent purchase as my existing screen was dying. I effectively paid half price (gift) so I'm not too heartbroken. I believe HDMI 2.0 supports 120/144Hz (the v3 laptop is 1.4)

P35 is a nice Laptop but I couldn't cope with the increase in size and weight.

Cant really fault it, even at 60Hz... :)

3. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On an unrelated topic, what did the FB06 / F007 bios update add? Anything interesting ?

4. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fan arc is are drastically different.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

5. Paw

Paw Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am completely new to the forum but have been lurking ever since I got my p34w v3 last year. :)

The CPU hit levels of 95C when I'm gaming and I'd like to turn the fan speed way up like I used to be able to, before I upgraded that darn smart manager thing. Does anyone know how to roll back the Smart Manager to the version were you could toggle maximum fan speed? Any other suggestions? I am unable to remove the bottom due to two screws just turning in their sockets without letting go. Repasting is therefore not an option. I might just return the damn thing since I got the bezel problem as well. Solved that with super glue so far however it's not really the optimal solution...

6. einigkeitundrecht

einigkeitundrecht Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Remove the stripped screws and replace them with some at the hardware store (Ace, Radioshack etc). $5 tops. Sometimes you really have to jab the screwdriver in there, or try new screwdrivers.

95c load when gaming is unacceptable. Not only is the CPU dangerously approaching its thermal juncture, it's also heating up all the other components on the motherboard. Apply some AS5 or (my favorite) Noctua NT-H1 paste and watch your temps drop drastically. Most of the problem, past your current paste being of substandard quality, is that it's just caked in there from stock with reckless abandon. Seriously, it looks like the thermal monster just threw up all over the heatsink and die.

I too had the problem with screws... Perhaps you could give me a screenshot?

Your laptop's remaining lifespan will probably be less than a few months if you don't replace the thermal paste.

7. AlphaTier88

AlphaTier88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

have someone the install .exe for Bios version FB04? i want to downgrade from FB05/FD05 to FB04.

I think with this Bios Version were my fans quieter as now .o_O

Thanks in advance

8. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It turns out the above two problems were related! The battery problem in my second post above kept coming back. About 3 weeks ago, I gave up trying to fix it, and was working with Gigabyte to purchase a replacement battery.

The bulge I'd attributed to heat warping the plastic in the first post above was actually gas building up in the battery. As the battery bulged, it pushed the bottom of the laptop out. 2 weeks ago, the battery began bulging much more quickly. In a matter of 2 days it went from the annoying bulge on the bottom I'd been living with for the last 6 months, to splitting the seam between the top and bottom halves, deforming the keyboard and trackpad, pulling one screw completely through the bottom half, and preventing me from closing the lid all the way.

As it happened, I made that first post just 4 days before my 1 year battery warranty was up, and I used it as proof to Gigabyte that the problem began before the battery warranty expired. Got my RMA number, and since they're located a couple miles from where I work I just dropped off the laptop at their offices.

6 days later UPS dropped it off at my door. New battery, flat bottom, flat keyboard and trackpad. Everything works great now. They didn't replace the bottom panel, so the pulled screw is not holding onto anything. But the bottom is staying on just fine without it, and I still have 6 months of warranty left to get that fixed.

9. GMDH

GMDH Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm new here but have been a P34G v2 (in XMG guise) owner for several years and have just ordered a real Gigabyte P34G v5. I have played around with the BIOS in my v2 and might have an unadulterated FB04 install pack on an old drive. I also have the latest FB06. I don't know how to get it to you though.

10. steveoz

steveoz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Brill, good job!

Once the mesh is on it should look almost OE imo.

It was the best mod I did to mine for sure, not sure why they starved the fans in the original design so much.