***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvldeath

lvldeath Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did it to,
    DSC_0378.JPG
    and ordered a pair of tweeters from eBay to cover the holes:
    pair tweeters.png

the laptop doesn't throttle anymore on unigine heaven benchmark. and the temps dropped by 10-8 deg C

2. LeviSJ

LeviSJ Newbie

Reputations:
    So this is a long shot but does anyone know where to get individual replacement keys for the keyboard? Little sister decided it would be \ great idea to remove two keys. It's just the actual hinges I need

3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi what do you think of the p640 compared to the p34w? Build wise and performance? If you could only buy one of them. And why?i Want to buy one.
    Also what did they improve you think in p34w v5 over v3?

Thanks

4. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    P640 absolutely trumps the p34 in every way possible... I just really admired the p34's design... I bought the v3 and then recently the v5.. I ended up returning both due to issues...however all the issues on the front page were addressed even the bottom plate wobble, which is fixed by reseating it...however I think one of the hinges was grinding against the frame.. I wanted to like the p34 so much but I was just too spoiled by my p640's build quality and heat dissipation .. The only thing the p34 has is the form factor and non nerdy look.. I just had a bad feeling about the longevity of the product.. I'm currently selling my p640 and I'd wait it out if I were you... I ran the laptops side by side and my p640 for some reason had a higher gpu utilization in some games which resulted in higher fps.. My only gripe is the design has a weird Msi nerdy slant on the inside... It's like these manufacturers don't care about heat, rather just pushing the product...like when some guy tried repasting the blade, all these razer bigot trolls tried defending razer's design flaw on the heat sink contact and "special" paste..if you want my opinion just wait a month or two..

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The wobbling returns after reseating the bottom plate after some time. It is because the frame bends without any big pressure. The hinge grinding against the frame is something I came across with one off those models as well.

6. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know I should wait it out. But I'm ruing my chance I passed on the p640re. I gave the p34w a second go but although I used it better than the 1st time. I Let it go.

7. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh yeah in that case you should've went with the p640 100%.. The screen and fluidity in gaming is so much more apparent on my p640.. I felt like each time I picked my p34 up I had to hold it like a new born or the thing would bend...

sisqo_uk likes this.
  8. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You right about that. Each time I got it out I was like golem saying "my precious!"

HeardEmSay likes this.
  9. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Followup:

It seems to be fixed. Right now the laptop has been running for 3h 15m, and battery shows 38%, which projects out to 5h 24m total battery life (I left the computer idle for about 2 hours).

First thing I tried after my last post was system restore to remove all updates after April 4. Unfortunately, system restore said all my previous restore points were corrupted. I had to remove the updates manually one by one (took close to an hour). Halfway through, I decided to just uninstall Office rather than uninstall all its updates one by one.

Rebooted and it did not fix the problem. Max charge was still 94%, computer instantly shut off at 40% after about 2-2.5 hours of use.

I tried the battery recalibration instructions Gigabyte sent me. That also did nothing.

I pretty much resigned myself to having to buy a new battery, but I did not update Windows just in case. I left it on AC power for the next week. Today I noticed the battery read 100%. So I did another battery rundown test and the problem has gone away. The laptop is once again lasting 4-5 hours on a charge.

I'll let it discharge a bit more, then put it back on the charger and start reinstalling the updates a few at a time to see if one is actually the culprit, or if this is just general Windows flakiness. Then reinstall Office and update it (I have another copy in a virtual machine I can use meanwhile) to see if that might be the culprit.

So the problem has disappeared, but no answers so far as to what caused it.

10. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is anybody here having any luck running their P34 with a 120/144 hz monitor ? How does it perform ?

I've got one but am struggling to drive it above 1024x768 at anything over 60Hz. I'm assuming its because the Wv3 only has HDMI 1.4 ... shame.

It is also a pain in the balls that the 970m isn't more adjustable - setting desktop screen resolution / refresh only uses the 4600, which is probably why I cant go higher res.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.