***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jObes

jObes Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] My done today I'm so happy now . I also put an extra tall rubber feet so the gap between surface and fans is a bit bigger and allow some more air go thru :) Thanks Again :D can someone tell my how to add pictures here?

steveoz likes this.
  2. jObes

jObes Newbie

Reputations:
    steveoz likes this.
  3. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine just started doing this. Running off battery in Windows, it hits 40% charge and shuts down hard. Can't even get into the BIOS without plugging in. I had assumed my battery was toast, but it seems a bit of a coincidence that both yours and mine do it at the same %.

I updated a bunch of Gigabyte software recently. Guess I'll try rolling those back.

Edit: Um, does anyone know where I can download past versions of the drivers? All I'm seeing on their main website is the latest version and beta versions.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. thiswasnttaken

thiswasnttaken Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop started doing the EXACT same! Except it's currently doing it at 20%.

As soon as I hit 20% on the battery, it just cuts off all power. I thought it was the battery that was ****ty quality, but it's not more than a few weeks since I used it on a vacation and got the 10% warning, followed by the 7% warning that I really had to plug it in.
    Have you guy solved this yet?

I do still suspect it to be a ****ty battery, because in February it lasted 3-4 hours, and now I can't even get 2 hours out of it.

Also, I'm having an issue with one of my screws, the one in the corner closest to the power inlet. It's just stuck in there. I can twist, but it's not coming out at all, so I can't take my bottom cover off. Anybody have any suggestions to fix it?

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    CHeck with HWinfo your battery health.

6. thiswasnttaken

Reputations:
    Just checked, says it's at 16,3% wear. That seems pretty reasonable. But I can't get more than 1½ hour out of it anymore.

As I wrote, I used to be able to watch a movie and do some work, and now it'll cut off all power half way through. No warnings, no nothing.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    16% is already quite a lot to be honest. On average use a battery would lose 20% with 2 years of average use.

8. thiswasnttaken

Reputations:
    Oh wow. I had always heard around 20% per year, not every 2 years. I've had the laptop for almost a year now.
    I live in a tropical country, so I expected it to degrade a bit faster.

But the degredation is one thing, the fact that it just shuts off when there is ~20% charge remaining is a much larger issue. This causes data loss, and I can risk losing progress on the work I'm doing.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1 year if you make around 300 cycles. Anyway it is not that common anymore to have it degrade that fast. a 3 year old samsung ativ book of my has only 4% after 4 years, Alienware 1.8 after 6 months and an old macbook pro that i had for 3 years had around 6%.

10. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine shows 3% wear. And now (in addition to dying at 40%) it will only charge up to 94%. Once it hits 94%, it stays there and keeps saying charging.

I was talking to my sister and her laptop (an HP less than a year old, running Win 10) recently began doing the exact same thing - dying at 40%. She said her battery life has also dropped all the way from about 7.5 hours to 1.5 hours at the same time. I had her open a command prompt and type:

powercfg /batteryreport

And compared the report her laptop generated with mine. Both our batteries were fine until April 4 (showing 6-10 hours battery runtime on hers, 2-4 hours on mine - she tends to run until the battery is almost empty, I usually plug it in soon after it dips below 50%). After April 4, every runtime on hers is 1.5 hours or less, same as mine. So now I'm wondering if it's a problem somehow introduced with Windows update.

I filed a support ticket with Gigabyte, requesting instructions on how to recalibrate the battery. They sent me this URL (not sure if it'll work for others). Gonna try it tomorrow.

http://esupport.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Answer/2016/4/248029/Calibrating_battery.pdf

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016