***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I should definitely try something similar.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice mod! but didnt you allign the circles on each side on purpose?

3. steveoz

steveoz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks and no, it's more of a not wanting to crack the case thing. I did mark the centres exactly but those small vents can easily tear or fracture the plastic, as it's not just a solid slab of plastic where you are drilling. When I span the drill up as the drill goes through first before the hole saw hits, it cracks and splits up some of the vent section and can easily pull the drill (unless I guess you have a pillar drill, but then if the drill doesn't move a bit it might have fractured the case anyway). So I just went with it, I didn't want to risk re-drilling either on some of the damaged slots and then it cracking / stressing the case.

TBH, I had my suspicions that the hole saw may also split the case, but span it up fast before it got against the plastic and then cut through slowly, thankfully that worked and didn't fracture the plastic.

Overall I'm happy with it, I think it has an OE look and the bottom is rarely if ever seen. I Guess there is probably 1mm difference in vertical position between the two but the fan blades are all exposed, unless you stand there and stare at it you'd never know. I still think it looks neat whilst dropping 10 degrees or more and was well worth it, it looks cool and makes the laptop cool, I'll take that any day over cooking it to death.

Cheers,

4. steveoz

Reputations:
    No probs, it worked for me, my P34 now has a long healthy life ahead of it without being melted.

5. lvldeath

lvldeath Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Excellent work!!!
    thanks for sharing! :)

6. jObes

jObes Newbie

Reputations:
    awesome !!! I was thinking about it from long time, but I was a bit scared to cut a laptop worth 1000 pounds but using it with this temps is a lot worse. I already bought all tools last month :p Thanks for sharing!!!! I doing it tomorrow :D

7. steveoz

Reputations:
    How did it turn out?

8. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Been a while since I browsed this.. I purchased the v5 and just got it..seems to have addressed all the aforementioned issues you guys are having excluding heat... Although it's nowhere near as bad....for some reason I get a decent amount of FPS less in league compared to my P640 which is the same exact setup..

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, somewhat stupid question ahead, you've been warned: not only I don't feel confident enough to do that myself, but I don't have any of the required materials for it (since I'm not a DIY kind of person, and I don't own a house: simply rent an apartment and call my landlord every time something needs to be fixed).

On top of your head, to what kind of store/business should I get something similar done (yes, I'm not kidding: I have NO idea where I should start asking)? Unless I find someone in my circle of friends who might have a hole saw and some mesh to try all of this.

10. wtferrell

wtferrell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A hole saw can be had for 5 or 6 bucks. It's like a bit that goes into a drill. Very simple to use.