***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rykno

Rykno Newbie

Reputations:
    If your games/apps installed on the spare hard drive have any registry files necessary to operate those games/apps will need to be reinstalled when you do a fresh format. Otherwise, simply navigate to the individual program's folders and sniff out the .exe's for the shortcuts, and then place them wherever you usually keep them. Most programs are self-contained, so all the necessary dependencies are within the the installation folder(s).

Xss likes this.
  2. sirleeofroy

sirleeofroy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late reply, had to go to a wedding this weekend!

Yes, when I say Gigabyte software I just mean the Smart Manager and Smart Update. All of the drivers I would get from the respective manufacturers so that you get the latest versions (Intel, Nvidia etc...). No Gigabyte software is required to install Win10, it will install straight from the USB stick as it would any other computer.

As for your last question, the poster above pretty much nailed it..

Give me a shout if you need anything as I have done exactly what you are doing! :)

Xss likes this.
  3. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, thank you guys! :) I don't have a lot of experience with proper windows installations, hence all of my questions. I will give it a try when I'll have some time in the future!

4. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post, but I'm back in the US and...Well, my diagnostic concerning the temperatures was wrong. Which means I have no clue what's wrong with this lappy...

Just to briefly recap: Since I the day I received the P34Wv3, I had been having extremely high temperatures, no matter what. Only way to keep it under 90°C was to underclock the CPU around x2.5 at least, if not 1.5 with some games (I also undervolted it at around -63mV, with little to no results).
    Tried different thermal paste with no real results.
    Switched to Liquid Pro, which allowed me to gain 4 or 5 degrees: still plus.

4 weeks ago I arrived in France. Plugged in the laptop thinking "hey, let's try this: maybe for some reason it will work in France". And it did. I was able to play games with the cores at x3.8, x 3.7, x2.7 and x2.7 without going past 80°C. I did notice better temps when I used the laptop outside of the US, but I never saw such drastic differences.
    Bear in min I did NOT install any updates of any kind during the trip: one day overheating in the US => plane to France on the next day => no more overheating.
    Hooray I thought, I figured what's wrong: the laptop, for some reasons, overheat when used in the US. Whether it's because of the altitude, the humidity in the air, or simply something to do with the electricity and the voltage...

I am right back to my place in the US. High altitude, dryness. I plug everything this morning, just to check how the temperatures will be, expecting them to be extremely high, 90°C or so.
    ...I'm having as good temperatures as I had in France. I just checked it. I have like 20 degrees less or so, depending on which game I am playing.
    The "good news" is...Well, I can use the laptop with no problem now, no more overheating.

The bad news is...I stopped overheating for no reason whatsoever, from one day to the other.
    It can very well start overheating again, for no reason whatsoever, from one day to the other.
    I am at a loss here: I have 0 clue whatsoever what's going on. I have no way to fix it if it starts overheating again. I could be the smallest change of setting in Windows, something I would never think about (I have just changed the time zone on the laptop and recheck with a game, just in case: can you believe that?!).
    Now, for what I know, I could update to Windows 10 and end up in the same boat again, with extremely high temps.
    It could be a windows update as well (even though, all the windows updates from the past few days haven't been changing anything).

The only, ONLY thing I could think about...Traveling at 80 000 feet or so up in the air gave super-awesome-magic-freezing properties to the liquid ultra. Which I highly doubt, since some people were having better temps than me with the Artic Silver.

So yeah, here I am now. If anyone has another idea of what it could be, I am opened to any theories and interpretations.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see what you mean. Flying to France is an expensive fix.

It could be the paste because I use arctic silver and have great results for a week after repasting and then right back to high temps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, maybe...Only thing being that today, the laptop "decided" to start overheating again...Sooo...I don't know. I give up, I really can't explain it...I'll probably rant again in a few months when I'll be back in France: we'll see if I get back the low temperatures or if everything stays high! XD

7. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I found the source of the wobbling problem, which has gotten progressively worse on my laptop. It is not a warped frame as I originally thought.

In the middle of the bottom of the laptop, just in front of the cover panel for the memory slot, there's a plastic tab which sticks out. As the laptop gets old, I'm guessing heat from the memory warps the surface this tab sits upon. It begins to bulge out. The laptop begins resting on three feet and this tab instead of the fourth foot (which ends up hanging in the air). Eventually it bulges enough (as it has on mine) where it's resting on just two feet and this tab.

I haven't decided yet how to fix it. The obvious fix is to take a dremel tool and grind down the tab. That would certainly make the laptop rest on all four feet again. But I can't help thinking the tab was put there to maintain separation between the table and the bottom of the laptop, to allow sufficient airflow.

So when I have enough time, I think I will take the bottom panel off, use a hair dryer to heat just this part up, and try to bend it flat again.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Trust me it is the frame that warps. It comes warped out of the factory for many and I actually measured all sides and checked if they where straight. The frame is extremely weak and can be warped back by hand if you rest 3 of the feet on a table and you press the corner that is floating off the desk in the air. The chassis is only a thin piece of plastic and a thin piece of aluminum pressed into shape. Cant expect much for durability I guess with these thin pieces.

9. sirleeofroy

sirleeofroy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1

I second this, mine wobbled a bit out of the box so I "bent" it back and it sat flat. Thing is, if you use the laptop as say, a laptop and take it places, you'll find it will bend all over the place. Really weak chassis and that is just one of many reasons why a lot of us don't own this machine anymore.

10. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Like I said initially: faulty heatsink/connection or chip. RMA it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.