***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The blurriness is something in windows, it happens when I plug another screen to the laptop.
    And I am indeed using the FB04/F002 Bios, so I'm all set! :)

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First Impressions:

I received my P34WV3-CF2 earlier today from Amazon.com. Everything about the notebook is better than expected, although I seemed to have overlooked the fact that it doesn't come with an ODD. Its weight and thinness are absolutely astounding! Who knew you could pack so much power in a 14" chassis. Its minimalist and understated looks are perfect to seem like an average notebook while packing a real punch inside with the i7 4720HQ and GTX 970m. Extremely discreet performance which I love. I played a bit of BF4 and everything is running smoothly at 1920x1080 with everything at Ultra. I haven't checked the temps or clocks yet for thermal throttling but I plan on re-pasting and buying a cooling pad for it anyways. I can't wait for Battlefront this fall.

So far I've just installed a couple of games and monitoring utilities as well as the latest Nvidia drivers. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, I was reminded daily of the crap screen on my Sony Vaio. The model screen on mine is the AUO B140HAN01.1.

I have one question so far, does anyone know how to disable the on screen popup when turning capslock on/off?

TheNightWolf likes this.
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only problems I've ran into with this laptop is screen bleeding. (Trust me I've purchased and replaced 4 and all of them bled) but if you are happy with it generally as long as it isn't very bad. Keep it because secondly if you replace it you are likely to get random quality with the touchpad buttons. Not flush. Clickier than others. I had one bent upwards too
    After all the hassle of buying else where etc I wish I stuck with the initial one I had because it was my 1st experience with gigabyte. I thought I just got a bad screen. But I see all units will have different flaws we Nick pick. I can take the bleeding. But not flush touchpad buttons with one clicking louder than the other is annoying for me.
    So I'll buy everywhere until I'm happy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNightWolf likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The initial P34WV3 that i received had non flush mousebuttons, and an uneven base.

Second one have enormous backlight bleeding, non flush buttons and still a mild uneven base. The frame where the backlight bleed is the most present (bottom right corner) also clicks when I press it. It is gone when I put my finger on it. But clicks out of place when I remove my finger.

It is just really annoying that there arent other alternatives in Europe. No Razer Blade and the Aorus X3 V3 has a ridiculous price when importing from the UK.

5. usapatriot

Reputations:
    Well, I just checked my P34W for all of the aforementioned problems and am happy to report that the touch pad button are flush and both make the same amount of clicky noise. There is no clicking around the LCD frame when pressed and backlight bleeding doesn't seem bad at all. There is one stuck green pixel, but it's hardly noticeable and only on a black background. All in all, I'm satisfied with the build of my P34W.

6. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay, so I checked my temps with Intel extreme tuning and the results were somewhat odd.
    With the laptop set to "high performances", I didn't go beyond 75°C, 0% throttling during the stress test. I undervolted the CPU by -60mv, ran the stress test again, no differences.

I launched a game, played for a bit, and reached 96°C with the CPU: same temps as yesterday when the CPU was undervolted.
    Soooo, what does that mean? The undervolting has no effect? The GPU is overheating too much?

7. Divot762

Divot762 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been experimenting with the Intel ETU and have found similar results to what you have. I think the GPU is taxing the cooling system as well when you play a game, so it's forced to dump the heat of both the CPU and GPU. When doing the stress test in ETU, it only taxes the CPU and doesn't turn on the Nvidia card. If your results are like mine, you'll see that there is still quite a bit of temperature throttling going on during games.

When I tested Far Cry 4, I found that when I undervolted -.70mV and then turned my 4 core multiplier to 28, I got no thermal throttling and the temp dropped to like 85-89C range. Since most games don't really care about the CPU, I am theorizing that the best performance comes from underclocking the CPU and keeping the GPU running full speed. I have more testing to do, but if anyone with more experience has anything to share I'd appreciate hearing it.

I am also having a problem were the Intel ETU keeps getting reset. Does anyone know if there is a reset feature on the bios that won't allow it to keep the ETU settings?

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So you do not have similar clicking noises on the frame as on mine?

Why I worry about this, is because it would not be my first laptop on which the bezel comes apart during normal use.

9. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Appreciate that. Almost bought the X-Slim after seeing good review on Amazon.
    Btw, my U3 fan can be adjusted to whatever position, so I've tried pointing it to the dual fan and the middle back part, still no good, coz the fan is too weak.

Maybe I need to get those with Non-USB powered Fan Laptop Cooler or Mod the U3.

Or maybe, no cooler can help at all.

10. usapatriot

Reputations:
    Mine will click on the left side in the same spot with a fair amount of pressure but is otherwise flush and solid. I do not think it's anything to worry about. There's always gonna be some flexing when plastic is involved, but if it makes you feel uncomfortable then do what you have to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.