***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, the experience with the P34W has been...Rather tedious so far, but things seem to be running more smoothly now.

1) The windows clock was totally wrong, I had to switch it to the Athens timezone to have my correct time in the US.
    2) Beware if you use Zonealarm: you will need to reset all icon size to 100% (they are set to 150% by default by gigayte) to use it properly.
    3) The laptop froze while installing 51 windows updates: it wouldn't go beyond update 20.
    4) Steam totally bugged on me: it was IMPOSSIBLE to have it work. I had to reinstall the factory settings: I lost an entire afternoon of work (installing other programs, and so on).

But at least now, things seem to be working.
    I played a little bit: the laptop gets hot very quickly. The top left part is literally burning if you touch it. I checked the temps with HWinfo, I was up to a max of 96°C after some minutes of gameplay with a cooling laptop (bear in mind I haven't undervolted it yet), does those temp seem normal?
    I hesitate to check if GenTechPC did do the repaste...Problem is, if they did, removing the heatsking will create a lot of air bubbles, right? Does that mean I would need to do a repaste anyway?

Other than that, the bit of game I tried ran very smoothly. It was quite impressive not to see Grim Dawn lagging! o_O

Now, something odd I noticed both on the P35W and P34W, only on windows (and internet), not while gaming. A lot of things, including text (both on the internet or on windows) is not very defined and seems a bit blurry compared with my W110er. Nothing too bad, but it can tire my eyes a bit.
    It happens no matter which screen I am using, either the laptop one or another one (I have currently the p34W hooked up to another screen). Any ideas what might be creating this?

2. colin06

colin06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see. Thanks for the info. I wonder why XoticPC has UK layout keyboards considering they're based in Nebraska.

3. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone can recommend a great cooler for this little monster?

Tried Notepal U3 and X3, doesn't really reduce the temp.
    Should I go with SF-19?

4. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay, I haven't been able to find this info: what is the latest bios for the P34W? And is it very useful to install it? I am rather reluctant at doing it: I have never flashed a bios in my life, and really don't want to break the laptop by doing something wrong.

5. colin06

colin06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Notepal X-Slim and it helped my Lenovo Y510p but didn't seem to lower temps for the P34W so I can save you time if you were thinking about trying it. I suppose the best choice would be to find one of those coolers where you can adjust the fan position and then place them under the intake vents, but this is just speculation.
    I would say if you're not having issues then just leave it be. I don't remember the latest BIOS version but you can get it from the Gigabyte website or alternatively you can open the Smart Update program and it should show you if you're up to date.

Amal77 likes this.
  6. TheNightWolf

TheNightWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Xss I know that old bios update are a pain but with this one it was really easy (as a classic update with reboot). Thanks to Microsoft for finally make them easy ! Currently using FB04 / F002 only one update so far. It has lower the higher limit from 96° to 91° for me. So I think it is a safety update more than a performance one.. for you to decide if you want to install it, at least it lowers the fans usage.
    On the driver side, I am currently using nvidia 347.77 there is an update 347.88 that I didn't install for now. But if I look at smart update those drivers are called 13.4752 which is higher number than the official one 13.4442 or the beta one 13.4477. I am using them without issues :) for now ! Anyone who does apply the last one please share it.

7. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks, where can you download that FB04/F002? If I understand correctly, it lower the temps: is it by cooling the laptop in some way, or does it limit more the CPU (by underclocking it a bit?).
    Does it void your warranty if you break your laptop by flashing the bios? I might wait for a video tutorial of it before trying anything, I don't think I will take the risk.

8. TheNightWolf

TheNightWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Xss
    Shut every others programs down for safety, then click on the update it will launch the download then apply the update. I don't remember if it ask you before shutting down but I think so ... like I said it was pretty easy !

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Disapointed in Gigabyte quality control. Very strong backlight bleeding. The screen border doesn't seem to be properly assembled. So it isn't really sticking as well.

Sending it back. Amazon UK doesn't have stock at the moment as well. So I have to wait for weeks to get a replacement.

This is really extremely annoying.

10. seanno

seanno Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The clock issue I had on my p34wv3 as well. I ended up just manually updating the time and my problem was solved. As for checking the re paste Gentec did: I believe you have to repaste once you pull that heat sink off (I've still got to do that myself). I Haven't noticed any blurriness though. My screen has been fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.