***Gigabyte P34W v3 "Phantasus" owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheNightWolf, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNightWolf

TheNightWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Gigabyte P34W v3 Owner's Lounge : The Phantasus !

Greetings! This is the thread for all who own, want to own, or would just like to discuss the P34W v3 from Gigabyte. Everyone is welcome! :) http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5325#kf

phantasus.jpg

Specifications :
    CPI: 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz-3.6GHz)
    Display: 14" Full HD 1920x1080 hi-Viewing angle LCD
    Memory: 8GB DDRIIIL 1600, 2 slots(Max 16GB)
    Chipset: Intel® HM87
    Display Adapter: Intel® HD Graphics 4600
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M GDDR5 3GB Discrete Graphics, NVIDIA® Optimus™ supported
    Storage: 1 mSATA SSD + 1 Hdd 2,5
    Keyboard: 2-stage back-lit keyboard
    Optical Drive: None
    I/O: USB(3.0)*4, HDMI, D-sub, RJ45, Headphone/Microphone jack, SD card reader, A/C in
    Sound: 1.5 W Speaker*2, Integrated Dual mic, Dolby Digital Plus™ Home Theater
    LAN: 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    WLAN: 802.11ac/b/g/n
    Bluetooth: Integrated V4.0
    Camera: HD Camera
    Security: Kensington Lock
    Battery: Li-polymer, 15.2V, 61.25Wh
    Dimensions: 340(W) x 239(D) x 20.9(H) mm
    Weight: ~1.80kg (w/ Battery, m-SSD, HDD)

Review from Notebookcheck.net : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-P34W-v3-Notebook-Review.135573.0.html

Review from @fanchiuho here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...sions-and-tests-a-pretty-little-beast.770556/

Korean review with lot of pics and numbers ;) : http://www.coolenjoy.net/bbs/boardc.php?id=review&no=24894&p=1

Main topics :

- Heat : As the P34w V3 is one of the slimmest and strongest laptop, the i7-4720 and the gtx 970m with 3gb make it a reliable heater while performing heavy tasks.
    The CPU is the one getting the hottest for now, with a 91°c cap from the orginal bios. FB04 /F002 bios allows 95°C (and 96°C on my laptop at highest).
    The GPU seems like it doesn't goes over 90°C (86°C for me).
    Some greats people have already performed repasting and lowered pretty well those temps (@fanchiuho and @bkvamme ). It doesn't seems like it void warranty as the heat sink can be removed without touching the "void warranty" stickers. No direct answer from Gigabyte as been provided on this forum for now.

- Throttling : Seems like it happens for two main reasons ! heat limit, and power supply limit.

- Noise : Fans are doing their best to keep the Phantasus cool, but it can sounds a bit too much from time to time. P34W v3 is equipped with a quick fan speed management button (in smart manager) which allows you 4 different mods : Stealth mode (very quiet with a cpu cap) auto-low (quiet but no cpu cap) auto high (easily audible, no cpu cap) Max fan speed (full speed of the fan, really audible). only the latter doesn't have an adaptive speed depending on the laptop needs). thanks to @Micaiah

Work in progress :

- Repasting test with different paste (AC5, IC7 and liquid pro)
    - XTU profils modding

I am not a tester but I will try to aggregate all informations that are shared on this forum from those lovely testers ! So if you have anything to ad just share it (or pm for corrections). The first thread for this laptop (with real test on real machines) started here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...sions-and-tests-a-pretty-little-beast.770556/

Game is on :p

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    tonfilm and dclanz like this.
  2. TheNightWolf

Reputations:
    Thread Summary :

Hot questions :

- Ram : what model is the stock one ? (check your with CPU-Z),
    CAS latency is 11 from @sisqo_uk ,
    Don't mix voltage from @bkvamme

- Battery life : No real Data on the model and number of cycle for now,
    around 4hours for normal user, from 5 to 6 hours on low usage in stealth mode, 2 hours hardcore gamging.

- Raid 0 : Not install in Raid 0 reported for now, also read this before thinking of it !
    - 1Go ssd : possible, one user reported without problem !

- The silent game : How to keep our laptop from using the fans in low-usage ? Research in progress with repaste and XTU profils

Reported problems :

- Screen bleeding : Anyone can give me explanations, reported from 3 users now, two of them send it back for it !
    - Speakers leaking/faulty : Two users reported it ! (One side crackling/Distorted) Anyone have an easy way to test it ?
    - Ghost Gtx 970m : one reported for now after repaste (@colin06 )
    - Keyboard flex :
    watch video here ! reported by two users for now, some send it back, some live with it
    - "Wobbling laptop" : non flat bottom from the laptop watch video here, 2 users reported it
    - Screen/Bezel clicking on bottom right
    - Touchpad clickers uneven and don't click properly
    - Bending/scraping near hinges when closing/opening lid
    - 7260 Wifi Issues (more to do with the card)

Hot infos :

- Comparison between thermal pastes by @bkvamme Thank for this great work !
    - Pictures of repasting : watch pictures here ! also search this other post to find videos and tips !

Anyone willing to ad something please write in red in your post and ad my nick, or pm me !

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. fanchiuho

fanchiuho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice. I was just about to update my Afterburner log when this comes up. I don't have the mental capacity to handle a post long so thanks a lot! I'll edit my dropbox link here, after however long the session I could muster today.

EDIT: {Afterburner Log}, I had to restrain myself from turning on the beefy PC at home recently :newpalm:
    Also not sure if I'm gonna continue using MSI AB, the logging sometimes turns itself off for no reason. Maybe GPU-Z?

On a side note here's what I found out when updating the Gigabyte Apps today: Turn off all processes with taskmgr before installing!

Installation files of SmartManager and the like do not feature a process kill feature, causing errors during install. End the following if you are installing SM:
    Auto Calibration.exe,
    ElevateService.exe,
    GBSMV2.exe
    (or V3),
    RunAP.exe,
    ShowSM.exe

Do the same to SmartUpdate itself, both worked for me.

btw my grammar sux

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    TheNightWolf likes this.
  4. TheNightWolf

Reputations:
    Hi @fanchiuho ,

Thanks for the quick answer, and please don't rush yourself ! I wouldn't want you to stop contributing because you didn't take time for yourself :)

I will use this post to sum up some advice to those reading this thread :

Be polite saying hi, thanking people, using nice sentence always helps and motivate more than being rude

Write in understandable English : cz u wn't like it when you don't understand something that might be useful for you.

Respect those that contribute : you might not agree with somes, but if someone contribute you have to consider it and explain why you disagree ! Also we are only "normal" users (even if some people give you the feeling that they are IT Tech, or hidden salers for paste :) ), so please before asking something do consider that we have a real life, and are not your dear employees !

Give sources : if you want people to trust what you post you should consider using links to assure the truth behind what you write

Use the RTFWT concept : if you look for an information or an answer, please do use the "Read The F*cking Whole Thread" concept... It means than before posting anything you should ensure that your information as not been already given, or your question has already been answered ! If after that you find nothing good enough then you might post ! And if you find some people discussing the same topic, please link them in your post.
    Might sound funny for now, but as most of those User's lounge easily go over 100 pages (some maybe over 9000 ! #troll), doing so will help keep it easy to read and as short as possible.

Shout out to :
    @fanchiuho the quickest drawer of the "guinea pig community"
    @Micaiah the "coolest" fans excel file writer
    @bkvamme the "tastiest" paster tester.

5. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any news for Canadian buyers?

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does anyone know when the P34K v3 will be available? It will have the 965m instead of the 970m so it may run a little cooler and be a bit cheaper.

7. bkvamme

bkvamme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI, the GPU memory clock is also throttled when in stealth mode. It is limited to 450MHz compared to 1250MHz when in any other mode. I will gather my findings in a post tomorrow, and keep that up to date instead of having multiple posts :)

TheNightWolf likes this.
  8. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I contacted Gigabyte and according to them the P34K v3 with GTX 965m will be available in about 4 weeks.

TheNightWolf likes this.
  9. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    TheNightWolf likes this.
  10. TheNightWolf

Reputations:
    Hi, having a great weather here today :cool: !

@vinny3 I have no news, but I think it is possible to buy it from the US, except if you look for some special version, keyboard ? I think we do have US buyers ! Let us know when you found some.

@usapatriot I have waited two month to get my hand on this computer, and I think the delay was mostly from the GPU chips was fresh from the first patch. If the GPU you are looking for is already sold in other laptop then it should be fast, I think. P.S. : some Gigabyte told us that the P34W should be available mid-January then came back to say mid-February, so I wish you the best but don't be too trustful for ETA (it is an Estimate time).

@bkvamme Thanks as usual, waiting for your great feedback. I try to be more specific on the throttling when I know a little bit more about this aspect :)

@HeardEmSay Thanks for the link, been updated ! No info on those too, but do you need to be so specific ? might be some new model, or just rename already sold under another brand name RAM.