Gigabyte P34G

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by spicypixel, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The new version of Smart Update is pretty irritating. Or maybe it's just irritating seeing how haphazardly the old version would alert me for beta drivers. Always nice to see beta and official the same version number. Or see a version I had from an old Smart Update has a version number in between the current official and beta. Plus the ongoing disparity between what SU says and what Intel's own utility says.

2. Justin1017

Justin1017 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Huh, I've been recently noticing this. It goes away on its own, but it is noticeable when it does happen. It's not enough to make me RMA it, however.

3. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Had some weirdness updatingdrivers from the Intel utility (wifi, Bluetooth and video) earlier today:

During the Wifi install I was getting a "server busy" error prompting me to retry or switch target, without interference the install completed with the message still present. The Bluetooth install seemed to work fine, but after a reboot the device was disabled.

Did a repair install of both, same thing happened with the wifi driver, but now they both seem to be working fine.

Will monitor for now.

(This is with an Intel 7260ac)

A bigger concern is after updating the Intel video driver my webcam no longer works. When I launch AmCap I'm getting an error saying I have no video capture hardware. Likewise Skype detects nothing and I don't see the webcam in device manager. Anyone have any ideas?

Disregard that part, had the camera disabled in Smart Manager \:

4. perder

perder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After smart updater update, it is no longer 'always on top', FINALLY..

5. Justin1017

Justin1017 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Always nice to see :)

On that image retention thing: It happens SO often. It basically always occurs now. Again, it won't cause me to RMA it, but still. What causes this? Is it going to hurt the screen in the long run?

Edit: Wait, what? The 4.0.3 beta update of Smart Manager got rid of the GPU boost? Why?

6. lonelyphoenix7

lonelyphoenix7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the portability of this thing, but the clunky power brick kills it. And let's face it, the battery life stinks. Has anybody found a slimmer / lighter power brick to use with this thing?

7. azrael201

azrael201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really don't think it's a problem. It's not like I am trying to shove the brick in a sleeve. I love this laptop. Battery life is fine, it's not like you didn't know the battery life...

8. o_jake

o_jake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just curious if anyone else has considered a keyboard mod for this guy.

Anybody know if the size of the keyboard is some standard size/shape?

Anybody taken the laptop apart enough to see the keyboard is mounted and attached to the frame?

Personally, I'm not too happy with the feeling of the keys. Its not so much the flex (which there is a little), its more the mechanism that I don't like. I frequently get typos due to how easy some keys are to press, and the keys themselves seem to be loose, as in they wiggle and click a small amount when touched or depressed.

If anybody knows anything of this sort, the info would be appreciated.

I am planning my second RMA coming up. The first was a sound card issue, so they replaced the motherboard, taking forever to do so, and forgot install my (or any) working windows 8 activation code on the new BIOS. Somewhere in the process, the 1tb hard that had also broken was not replaced by either XotixPC or GIgabyte RMA. So I had to get XoticPC to ship me a new hard drive, even though I already threw in a Samsung EVO SSD that I had got in preparation for the P35K. Ended up with the P34G because the wait for the P35K was taking forever due to the bending in half fiasco.

This thing is a beast, especially with the mSATA SSD and Samsung SSD combo (OS onstock mSATA). I use the Samsung SSD for storage, and it holds all my files except for my videos, but I can move those with the USB 3.0 pretty quickly anyways. Gaming is great on the P34G, the screen is generally great, and I like the matte finish, though I have experienced the keyboard markings on the screen like many others. This is usually not an issue, but you can see the marks pretty clearly when the screen is off or in a very bright setting, in which case they can obscure the screen.

Like I said, I am now about to send it in for the second RMA, this time to get a working BIOS Windows Authentication so I don't get thrown into the blue screen asking to activate windows every hour or so. Overall I am impressed with the machine, but not so much with Gigabyte RMA and customer service. Previous RMA took forever and communication wasn't great. I feel like they should have fixed many of the first generations with the P34G V2, or at least I hope so. I'd be interested to see if any of the new components could be retrofitted to the P34G V1, mainly an updated keyboard or the new (slightly bigger) battery. Although I expect the battery life will also improve due to the Maxwell architecture. Anybody know if this update will have any effect on power consumption when the GPU is not is use vs the current gen?

Anyways, orry for nerding out. On a sidenote, I have also gotten TAILs to run and function on this thing. I installed a boot partition on a flashdrive then another copy on a microSD card (through USB adapter). Anybody have questions about the process, feel free to ask. The main thing is to disable GPU acceleration and other boot devices in the BIOS. It may take a few tries.

9. kiswa

kiswa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where we can get parts for the P34G (V1)? I messed up my keyboard and need to replace it, but I'm having a hell of a time finding out where to get the keyboard. :mad:

10. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been getting the same "Server Busy" error, but I don't think mine is wifi. Immediately after the notice, the screen goes black, turns back on, then I get a note saying the NVIDIA driver crashed and recovered. Then the laptop will BSOD.

Very frustrating. Has happened 2x today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.