Gigabyte P34G

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by spicypixel, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OsoAlgo

OsoAlgo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it's not the same model of course but the same brand... I'd be wary about image retention. For reference, here's a pic of what my (again, Samsung) screen looked like (a little edited of course :p). What you see on the left was burned in from a word document window, and it was very clear against that webpage with a grey background. It sort of went away after the computer was off for a significant time, but still.

2014-02-01 01.04.55.jpg

2. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was available in Smart Update.
    It seems broken though, launching it does nothing.

I'm also starting to hear a really faint high pitched noise when all the fans are off, not sure if it's HDD noise, airflow or some kind of electronic whine. Pretty irritating.

3. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sure enough Smart Switch 2.0.0 must've been some kind of glitch. I just updated to Smart Update 2.1.0 and it asked me to reinstall Smart Switch 1.5.2.

Weird.

4. automaton

automaton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any tips on extending the battery life? I have a cross-country flight later this week, and the best I've been able to get is around 2 hours, just doing web browsing and Word doc editing. Really disappointing. I've been using this charger when I'm not at the office, don't know if that could be causing me problems.

5. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use http://www.seatguru.com to see if you flight has AC or DC power and try to sit in one of those seats. Domestic flights are tough, but sometimes you can get lucky.

Otherwise, I remember someone talking about an external battery earlier on the thread.

Otherwise, turn the brightness all the way down, don't use the NVIDIA card, etc. etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. azrael201

azrael201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I get at least 6 he's just web browsing with 20% brightness. Make sure it is on power saver or at least balanced. I dunno if word editing eats up that much more battery.

I think someone had a power gorilla with mixed results.

7. automaton

automaton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies. Looked up my flights, only have power on one of them. Not cool.

I have my brightness at 20%, in power saver. No clue why my battery's getting chewed through so quickly. Maybe too many tabs open?

In power saving, the Intel GPU should be doing all of the work, right? Not quite sure what software's telling the machine to use the less resource-intensive GPU.

8. azrael201

azrael201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe too many tasks running in background? I know I am not the only one here that reported this kind of battery performance.

9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ended up selling my P34G because of this high pitched noise. It's caused by the CPU entering power-saving states. You can almost completely eliminate it by turning off intel speedstep or using throttle stop to maintain higher clocks, but you'll be lucky to get 90 min. worth of battery out of it, and the fan will be continually going. It was hugely irritating to me.

10. perder

perder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, forgot to repost the reply from Gigabyte:
    Setting Display Power Saving Technology to off seems to do the trick nicely regarding the adaptive dimming/backlight intensity. Noticeable difference right away. But no reassuring reply regarding the image retention.

EDIT: How many of you have noticed ghosting/image retention on your p34g's? (use a dark grey background to make it more visible)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.