Gigabyte P34G UNLOCKED Bios

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by tocirahl, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ CCz_Cataphract

As I stated initially, whatever went wrong was probably some error on my side. I've spent the last day trying all kinds of things getting it to initialize the recovery and read the ROM, but with no error messages on the screen there's little to go by. I the briefly flickering HD-light gives me a small glimmer of hope, but no matter what kind of bootable media and the setup of it nothing seem to work so I'm pretty certain by now that this is beyond what I can fix. About the only thing that remains is to try a bootable floppy over USB, however the 8mb BIOS file obviously won't fit :D I've bricked hardware in my time, mostly HDs dropped, fried by power wires lacking insulation and stuff like that, but never something like this. It sucks and I have a feeling its going to get expensive one way or the other. Also I was really enjoying this laptop, really awesome unit that smoked everything I threw at it.

BUT! There is one small chance, if anyone could take a couple of minutes and study the recovery partition!

It seems some AMI BIOS Gigabyte mobos have programmed the recovery stuff to look for a BIOS file on the recovery partition, at least on earlier models. If anyone still have this recovery partition, could you look into it and see if there's a BIOS file hidden somewhere on it? If you find one, what's the path and file name? File system (FAT32/NTFS)? Any scripts/.bat-files? What OS did your unit come bundled with? I got the P34G-version without OS so I never had the rec partition myself so my idea of it's contents is at best rudimentary.

Mac

2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, I understood what you said and still said what I said :)

I followed these steps to try to help you: » How to: Make recovery partition visible in Windows 8 IT Blog. I then looked into the 4 hidden partitions I could then access. 3 were NTFS, the System partition was FAT32. The System partition was 256mb and not accessible. Another was a 300mb Windows 8 RE Tool partition. Another was 350mb and contained a Recovery directory that I took ownership of to access and was also just Windows RE recovery tools. The 20GB Recovery parition that I think Gigabyte placed on the system was accessible, but just contained a "RecoveryImagE" directory with a series of install.swm files in sequence.

Let me know if I can help further with more info,

Peter

I know that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear, and it may be the other partitions could be of some use

3. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thank you mate! This is good info even if it isnt what I hoped for. At least I know I have done all I can to fix it before sending it in. I have tried to locate the BIOS chip itself on the motherboard with a faint hope that it is not soldered on. If that was the case I could have bought another P34G, hotswapped the BIOS chip, flashed and swapped it back and returned the 2nd unit. Alas, I had no luck, it must be darn well hidden or simply very nondescript. I attempted googling the codes on a number of the chips on the mobo to identify them, but they are everything else but an 8mb AMI BIOS chip ;)

I am gaming and working on my old laptop again, but I have to say after that glorious, vibrant panel of the P34G its not quite the same running at 1024x res with everything set to absolute low :D

Mac

4. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that man, I'd contact support and let them know something went wrong when flashing the BIOS and that you'd like to get it repaired. Then you can get whatever information on how to do it - note that depending where and how you purchased it you may have another warranty also (I know with my Dividend Visa I have 90 days coverage even if the device is lost or stolen or damaged or spilled on, etc..). It may be possible to start it as a warranty repair and then pay if they decide it is not covered - up to you of course.

I know though I'd hate to go back - I hope you can get it fixed and get back to it before too long :)

Peter

-----------

UPDATE: Please note that a 305 BIOS version was released by Gigabyte a few days after this post which improves the noise issues tremendously - it is highly recommended you update to it. Please see the P34G Owners Lounge and Fan Control Thread for more information.

5. Wurmy

Wurmy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi M4cr0s,
    i am in similar trouble of my p34g. I have made a general Bios update from Gigabyte and now it is dead. Unfortunately i read that i don't recover the Bios myself. Have you shipped it back to Gigabyte and they repair it of warrenty?

6. thewickedjon

thewickedjon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had this computer for several months and I just have to vent. This is a horrendous piece of crap. I have an hp elitebook 2540p, an alienware m11x, a custom built desktop and this gigabyte p34g
    I bought this thinking that this would be very good for gaming, boy was I wrong

Looking at the compoonents and comparing them to my other two laptops.
    1- the touchpad is sticky, and innacurate.
    2- nvidia optimus is the worse piece of forcefully fed garbage we endure without a choice. , no wonder amd is taking over the world, optimmus messes everything up, it DOES NOT WORK.
    3- the keyboard is horrible, its like typing on a flat surface
    4- the battery is hilarious, literally will last 1 hour or less, even when not playing, this is garbage
    5- overal looks of the machine is cheap, looks like a cheap 200 buck laptop from radioshack
    6- when not plugged in, it wont play games, the cpu clocks down too much in a pathetic attempt to "save power" cmon , really? what is the point of buying a "gaming" laptop if you have to be plugged in to play?
    7- when you finally wrestle optimus , plug the computer to the wall, and are able to((for some reason) sit down to play, it overheats like a freaking stove in no time, cpu gets up to 84C, this is absurd, forcing you to turn it off and save your ridiculously expensive piece of crap laptop
    Seriously, im not a fan boy, and I know the "i hate whatever's popular makes me cool"attitude , but if you are looking to buy a "gaming"laptop, just buy alienware. specs arent always all there is to it, and this computer is a living example. or better yet, if you have a desktop, just buy a good gpu and thats it.

I want to get rid of this and get a good desktop gpu.if this review does not scare you, I am willing to trade my p34g for a high end desktop gpu and some cash back.

(ps I wrote this while very angry, might come back and edit it)

7. tomsliwowski

tomsliwowski Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear you're having issues with the laptop. I've had mine for just over 3 weeks and think it's quite awesome. While I agree that the touchpad is kinda so-so, I find the keyboard quite good.

I bought the laptop with the understanding that the gaming portion is probably best when plugged in so I don't have any issue with it clocking down to save power. If you want to game for hours and hours on battery power then get ready to buy a 20lb 17inch gaming laptop.

On battery with screen on about 40% brightness I get 4:30-5 hours of use which is more than fine for me. It seems your expectations were slightly skewed when you bought the P34G. The laptop is obviously meant to be a middle ground between someone who likes to game and someone who travels. Notice the laptop has a VGA port which is most often used by business travelers as a large percentage of projectors offer only VGA as input.

As for gaming while plugged in. I've played BF3, Titanfall Beta, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 (and the Blood Dragon spinoff), Crysis 2 & 3, and the new Thief game with 0 issues heat or otherwise. You may have gotten unlucky and got a faulty laptop.

Also, shouldn't this whole rant be in the main P34G thread not this BIOS thread?

8. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any news of an unlocked BIOS for the P34g v2???
    I REALLY want it to OC the GPU

9. dahr

dahr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey!

Sorry to revive this thread after all this time, but did anyone test the "switchable graphics" options. I would find it very interesting if this meant one could actually choose the graphics card to be used (i.e. discrete or integrated).

Cheers

10. Astrongtower

Astrongtower Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will this work on a P34g V2-CF4? And if not where do I find a modded bios for this model? P34g V2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.