Gigabyte P34G UNLOCKED Bios

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by tocirahl, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great :). Have you seen an effect on battery life or noise/temps?

Thank you very much,
    Peter

2. tocirahl

tocirahl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Temps are definitely lower battery life is about 30-40 minutes better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great to hear :).

With what settings are you having such good results? Is it that the temps are lower so the fan doesn't trip anymore during light use (ie. on open a new tab, or window, etc..)?

All the best and thank you,
    Peter

4. max_serbia

max_serbia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can we solve the issue of processor running @0.77GHz on battery with this?

It's kinda frustrating when im using my laptopp on battery..

5. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually was looking at the HEXUS review and thought this might solve it but I went through every screenshot in the album in this thread and none of them seemed to directly touch on this (though it may in one of the sub options).

It'd be great to have longer battery life when we need it - but to be able to bump it up to full for a few minutes to do something quickly - unless the physical hardware battery volt/amperage can't allow more than .77/1.3GHz max we should have that option....

Thanks,
    Peter

6. tocirahl

tocirahl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's the guide I promised some of you. Sorry for the delay but finals and all that.

It's actually pretty easy:

1. Download AMIBCP from Prema's thread on Clevo BIOS Mods: CLEVO BIOS Mods & Ami Modding Tools
    2. Download 7-zip or any other tool capable of unzipping exes: 7-Zip
    3. Download the appropriate BIOS file from Gigabyte's Website: GIGABYTE - Notebook & Netbook - Notebook & Netbook - P series - P34G
    4. Unzip your the exe you downloaded from Gigabyte.
    5. Under the stuff you just unzipped, go to \BIOS\BIOS.BIN, and copy the file that's exactly 8MB to a different directory. It should be R3456BF.303A for the 303A BIOS and something that ends in F003 for the Win7 version.
    6. Start up AMIBCP and open the file you just grabbed (R3456BF.303A). You may have to switch the file explorer to "show all files"
    7. Once it's loaded up, under the "Setup Configuration" Tab you should see a blank folder. Expand it.
    8. Click on "Advanced" and on the right side of the window, a bunch of options should pop up.
    9. You should see under the "Control Group Structures" column, an entry called "Hidden Function." Set its "Access/Use" column to "USER" by double clicking the entry under "Access/Use" and switching it from the dropdown menu.
    *Note that you can change any other option available in any of the submenus to "USER" to get them to show up, but I've found this to produce somewhat odd results occasionally. Feel free to experiment.
    10. Save the modified BIOS (File > Save)
    11. Change the BIOS extension to ".bin"
    12. Back under the folders you extracted from the exe from Gigabyte, navigate to \BIOS\AFUEFI\WIN64
    13. Copy everything in this directory to wherever your modified BIOS is saved.
    14. Run the following command under an elevated command prompt window: afuwinx64.exe Modified.bin /gan
    Replaced "Modified.bin" with the name of your BIOS.

That's it!

7. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's awesome thank you :). I hoped on the site now and downloaded a copy of the AMIBCP 4.53 & MMTOOL 4.50.0.23 tool just incase - thanks a lot for posting this guide :)

Thank you tocirahl!

Peter

8. Metatron111

Metatron111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot!

I tried your guide and it worked ;-). I'm now on the modified version of the F003-BIOS.
    I tried modifying the trigger points for the fan control to make the notebook a bit less noisy. I set the temperature trigger from 55°C to 63°C, but it doesen't seem to make any difference. Looks like the smart manager overwrites these values since the fan ticks in at 45°C on my P34G. Do you have any suggestions how to fix this?

9. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Meh! I hoped I'd never be one of those posting something like this, but I'm afraid I have to.

Modified the BIOS, flashed, just after the text I think read something along "erasing...." the screen went blank and while the diodes and keyboard was still lit. Let it run for 10 minutes just to be sure something wasn't still working, then forced a reboot. No go. Unplugged both the main battery and the CMOS battery and made a few attempts. It don't boot. The diode to the extreme right stays lit and sometimes the HD-lamp flashes briefly when the CMOS is freshly cleared. Attempted the BIOS recovery procedure for AMI BIOSes as outlined here with a FAT16 formated USB drive and a FAT32 formated SD-card but no go. Finally I dug up a "2.5 sata laptop drive not in use, created a small partition on it with the BIOS file. The HD-diode lights up for a few seconds and I can feel the drive spin up, but before long it shuts down again.

To my knowledge I'm probably screwed, but I will have to read through some lenghty BIOS recovery threads before I give up. This is a nightmare as I likely will have to ship the laptop abroad to wherever Gigabyte has an European service center and its not warranty case. Worst possible timing too, the laundry machine just crapped out a few days ago, plus I'm absolutely scraped after Christmas and I'm in the middle of a breakup with my better half of the last three years. Great start of 2014! :D

Funny thing is that I had a private convo with tocirahl about the risks of BIOS flashing and how to mod the BIOS a while back. I decided not to crash test dummy his Win7 BIOS. Curiosity and lust to experiment finally took hold of me nevertheless ;) I've flashed modified BIOSes several times before and this isn't exactly my first BIOS flash either, been flashing for 20 years. I don't know if it was the file itself that was borked or if I did something else wrong, but I do not hold anyone else but myself responsible.

Ah, sigh....sorry for the rant! If anyone have any ideas or input I'm all ears.

Mac

10. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dang Mac, I'm sorry to read that. I was away at a Monastery in the US since December 27th and I didn't have internet. I installed the unlocked BIOS that same day that I got my P34G (I'd downloaded it onto my N56 in advance). I didn't think to run the flash.bat at first and tried doing it manually, but that just gave me error: "Unable to start a Secure Flash session" - the bat file has a /gan attribute that works.

Flashing was smooth and went great (with the batch file), it took awhile to erase and less to write - my heart was pounding while it was doing both and I scarcely moved a muscle from when it started just incase, but it all went well. I have access to the Hidden Function right away. I do not know if it had any effect on me activating Windows (or if it was just that I overwrote the key when I installed the standard 8.1 trial key on upgrade).

One thing I found though is that the Thermal settings don't work. Changing the thermal cut offs has no effect in Windows 8/8.1 unfortunately. I can confirm though that the F303A Windows 8 BIOS that tocirahl worked fine on my machine (I like the fast boot of UEFI too much to go back to 7 :p) so I didn't need F003.

This is all about me flashing the ready made file tocirahl posted, not modifying one myself.

I'm really sorry Mac that all this is hitting you all at once (and at all!) - I hope everything that can be recovered, will be. Sorry I can't give any suggestions but I wanted to share my experience.

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.