Gigabyte build quality and warranty questions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by RockyBalboa-UK, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Indeed. Though their maintenance is a bigger hassle cause of the "Burn-in" effect.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Interesting. My limited use didn't really show the blacks difference, but I'll take your word for it. Sorta reminds me of plasma TVs, with the better blacks and potential for burn in. The don't weigh a ton and don't seem to run at a million degrees though, so definitely a better product there.

don_svetlio likes this.
  3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I'm going mostly off of information found at NoteBookCheck and LaptopMedia as well as a few youtubers such as Andrew Tran and Dave2D

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Wish there were more in B&M stores so people could do side-by-side comparisons in person. It puts online reviews into perspective.

don_svetlio likes this.
  5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    One thing I have done, though, is compare a 45% NTSC IPS to a 72% NTSC IPS - the difference is VERY noticeable. I'd also say anything with less than 250 nits of brightness is a big no-no.

6. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Agreed. Though I think the 45% is on its way out.

7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Good ****ing riddance. The same should also happen to TN panels as a whole. Contrary to popular believe, a 6ms response time vs a 1ms response time is utterly and completely irrelevant.
    Take it from someone who plays CS:GO and SC2 on a 40ms IPS :D

8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    As long as TN panels are still cheaper and can hit a slightly lower number there will still be a market for them. Those days are numbered though.

don_svetlio likes this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The build quality of Gigabyte laptops.......I love the concept but they arent there yet. They still use cheaper battery cells that die out quite quickly compared to other brands and they cut corners in various areas of the laptop. For example if the laptop has an aluminum palmrest (aluminum sheet metal only unfortunately) then they have a fairly big cut out with a plastic tray for the keyboard. This saves costs for them so that they only need to manufacture 1 palmrest version for all model and only create various keyboard version with their own layout cut out in plastic. But it would be so much better if the key cut outs where made in the same aluminum palmrest sheet. It would be stronger, it would look cleaner and most important of all, no 1mm gaps around the keyboard tray that collects dust (in the P34,35,37 series you can see the motherboard through those gaps very easily).

Also the hinges that are glued on instead of screwed into the screen lids screams cheap manufacturing.

I havent used modern TN panels that are now present in game laptops. But I own a 27inch gsync TN screen and out of the box it has 71% adobe RGB and 104% srgb values. This can be improved after calibration thus being an excellent panel. Contrast is 1:981 which is pretty decent. So no TN isnt as bad as it once was. The only downside is when you sit lower than the screen, color start to slowly invert depending on the angle.

BUt I bought it ofcourse for the 165hz refreshrate in games. Once you go high refresh rate you never want to go back.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Or trying for unnecessary thinness any more, there's got to be a point where stubby screws and thin grommets mounted in plastic is either as weak as a clipped in/glued on bezel, or become a weak spot.

rinneh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.