Gigabyte AORUS 15G YC - Freezing while idle

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by santimaster2000, May 11, 2021.

1. santimaster2000

santimaster2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Basically just that, I got this laptop less than a month ago and I'm just noticing this issue, there are no CPU/GPU demanding tasks running, I just leave the laptop at my desk, and when I come back the screen is black/"off", keyboard's light is on, but the laptop doesn't respond, any idea what might be the issue ?

2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where did you get it from?

3. santimaster2000

Reputations:
    Amazon

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    If it is still in the returnable window, I would return it, just in case it is a hardware problem. If it was from some hardware vendors that optimize the system, it is possible it would be because of excess undervolting, which would easily solved, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

5. santimaster2000

Reputations:
    Problem is, I live in Argentina, not sure how Amazon would handle customs back and forth, since I bought the laptop from Amazon.es, and I sent it to a friends PO box in Miami, gonna wait a week, see if I can confirm if it's a software issue, if I can't, I'll try contacting Amazon and see what options they give me.

Still, I'm open to hearing ideas as to what might be the problem and how to fix it if it is indeed a software related issue.

6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I see, I live in Brazil. Customs is a problem, not feasible. So you will have to try to figure out what exactly is the problem, Ram or something else. I will let others with more experience pitch in on the correct hardware checks to do.

7. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    When running games and everything else, the notebook runs fine right? Have you done a windows reset yet? That can help to see if it is sofware related first.

8. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    You haven't undervolted or anything like that right?

9. santimaster2000

Reputations:
    Yeah, we have to deal with the same level of crap when it comes to customs.

Running games, playing videos, browsing the web, not a problem. No idea how to do a Windows reset, I come from a laptop running Windows 7.

Nope, only thing I did that might be related to that was uninstall Azure AI or whatever that thing was called.

Something I'm going to try is switch my energy profile from "Smartmanager balanced" to just "Balanced", see if that changes anything.

I'm 99 % sure this is a software issue.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Daveholland

Daveholland Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its 100% a software issue. Its HWiNFO, RTSS and Afterburner running while in idle. It crashes the nvidia driver when it tries to idle the GPU. I hunted for over a month to find that issue.
    Solve is to only open them when you need them and close them when you are in the desktop. For CPU temp monitor I use Throttlestop.

Vistar Shook and santimaster2000 like this.