Gigabyte announces new Aero 15

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Rinnis, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    -115mv for cpu and -80for igpu

agent_pires likes this.
  2. Cha72

Cha72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! Do you use XTU or Throttlestop? Haven't undervolted a laptop before so just curious on what people prefer

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    TS. I don't like that XTU sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but it makes my OCD go nuts

4. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    Looks lie you can get IC Diamond or Coollab for free at GenTech. Which you prefer? Which will last longest?

5. Notif

Notif Newbie

Reputations:
    What type of RAM comes with the Aero 15? Can we get the timings? (With CPU Z)

I, without knowing any better, bought an extra ram card with a CAS of 14... I believe that I can get it to work with the existing ram in duel channel somehow. I'm guessing that the ram that the Aero comes with is either CAS 15 or 16. I'm sure that I will find out one way or another, sooner or later.

I'm expecting the laptop to arrive either today or tomorrow! I'm so ready to get started setting up the machine. It will easily be more powerful than the desktop computer that I'm using right now. Is the desktop just going to collect dust? I find that a little bit unsettling when considering all of the work and money that I have put into it. Maybe in 5 years I can upgrade it to keep up with the latest games, that is if I even still care enough about games at that point to make it worth it.

Edit:

The RAM is likely Kingston, and through the process of elimination, I have found that it's likely CAS 17. And if true, this would be a little unfortunate, but I'm doubtful that the difference will affect performance in a meaningful way. I will test... and update if I'm wrong.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  6. justinnn9

justinnn9 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just read the whole post here -- very helpful topic! I will be using this thread for future information about this laptop.

There is only one thing stopping me now from buying this from Newegg.ca before it runs out of stock -- extended warranty. Newegg is the only store in Canada that sells this laptop right now, we don't even have the black ones yet.

I am coming from a Macbook pro 15 laptop 2013. I bought their extended warranty for a total of 3 years warranty. I know the warranty I paid for also includes customer service and more. The warranty just expired this March. From this experience, I am leaning towards not buying the extended warranty. But I also put in the factor of the belief that Macbook pro's are more sturdier and seem to have long-lasting material than most laptops. I also made sure no severe accidents happened to it. But when I purchase this Aero 15, I will be making sure to take care of it more by cooling pad and undervolting as you guys have described here. I'm also interested in repasting that have been discovered here. Additionally, GIGABYTE already offers 2 year warranty initially. So do I really need the newegg extended warranty? From my decision the last time I bought something like this, I bought it just to have 'a peace of mind'.

I'm leaning towards buying because from my experience, absolutely nothing happened to my MBPro. I did not use the warranty, and this laptop is still very much alive IMO. Just the battery and SSD seems to have worn out a lot. Also, I did not take out my laptop very often. Just kept inside the house as a substitute for a desktop. If I do take it out, I know to take care of it, and it will mostly be for school.

I hope you guys help me, thank you!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. genomecop

genomecop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Except there will always be that ONE time where you do really need that extended warranty....

8. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depends on a lot of things. Newegg doesn't fulfill the warranty, they only sell it. Either way, it's a third party warranty. If it's not an extended warranty provided directly by the manufacturer, you have to trust that the company will actually be reasonable in servicing claims and that it will still be in business in a few years to do so. Also, you have to check the terms, like is there a deductible? Are there exclusions? Is there a limit on the number or cost of repairs? And of course, it depends on the price of the warranty, too. If it's $400, you could pocket the money and that could cover a moderate repair if you ever have an issue.

Also, you may have extended warranty coverage similar to a third party warranty that is provided free by your credit card company. Some will add 1 or 2 years, others will double the standard manufacturer's warranty. Worth checking! Extended warranties are basically insurance and are often bad bets for many products. That said, gaming laptops run hot and if they are used heavily, they are probably not so bad of a bet to add an extra year or two of coverage... I'm going with the credit card extension included on my Costco/Citibank Visa, it adds 2 years to the standard 2-year Gigabyte warranty.

9. Notif

Notif Newbie

Reputations:
    Success! I installed the Kingston Hyper X 2400 CL 14 alongside the Kingston 2400 CL 17 and it works! Somehow. In CPU-Z it's showing a CL of 15. I don't know how that's possible. The timings are as shown: 15, 15, 15, 35. Perhaps it's underclocking the CL14 card and overclocking the CL 17, and balancing out at 15? Or is it just that the readings are off? Anyways. I'm just glad that it works at all, the increased performance is a plus!

I successfully undervolted the CPU to -0.120 V and the graphics to -0.080 V. No crashes yet. I dare not try to push it lower.

The Aero is awesome!

hmscott, MiSJAH and agent_pires like this.
  10. Sycraft

Sycraft Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got one this week and having played with it, I think I'll keep it. It is nice hardware, with some issues that keep it from being truly great.

System was bough in the US and came with 1x 16GB stick of Kingston RAM, one slot free, and a Transcend MTS800 SSD. Not sure if they use a multitude of different SSDs or if they gave different ones out for review copies. Either way it is a reasonably competent SATA SSD. Doesn't get the 1GB+ speeds you see in some reviews (and does not claim to). Everything else is as spec'd on the site. As others have noted system ships with a fair amount of crap, but it can be removed without issue. Some is pretty funny though, like PowerDVD on a system with no optical drive.

The screen is quite nice, it is ChiMei's take on IPS technology. Good viewing angles and all that jazz. However something to note is the colour accuracy is coming via software calibration in the Gigabyte SmartManager. You can actually see the screen change when it loads. So same kind of thing you could achieve with an i1 Display Pro. It's nice, but it doesn't hold in games since they overwrite the videocard LUT for their own gamma settings. You only get the calibration on the desktop, a problem with all software monitor calibration.

They keyboard is nice and the people who claimed it is "typewriter loud" must be used to using a touchscreen in an anechoic chamber. It is less noisy than my Kinesys Freestyle 2, itself a pretty quiet keyboard. Activation force seems reasonable. The ghosting issues are present and I've not been able to update the keyboard's firmware. When I click on the gear Fusion says it will do an update, but then just closes when I click ok. So far it hasn't caused me any grief since I haven't used any ghosted combinations, but it is present. The keyboard does seem to remember backlight settings, independent of Fusion being on the system so it'll stay how you like even during reinstall.

To me the trackpad is fine, but then my Sager didn't have a great trackpad. I don't find any real issues with it and the stock drivers. I may try out the hacked ones mentioned at some point, but it actually seems to track fine, the gestures I've used work, and the surface is nice and smooth.

There is input lag when certain things display and it does seem to be related to switchable graphics as when the nVidia driver isn't present they don't happen. Annoying but not really problematic. We all need to pester nVidia about it as it looks like it is their issue to fix, not Gigabyte's. You can fix the UAC one by changing the UAC setting one step down so that it doesn't show the popup on the secure desktop but uses the regular one.

Performance is good and right in line with what the components would suggest. All my benchmarks match what you find online for the various bits so it looks like the thermal solution does its job and keeps everything operating cool enough that it doesn't throttle, at least no more than other laptops with similar CPUs/GPUs.

The GTX1060 is fast as hell, things I've tested run great on it. It is amazing the kind of performance you can get in a laptop. So long as you play at 1080 and are ok with maybe backing off on the visuals a little, you aren't going to find anything, even the latest stuff, that is a problem. I've noticed no graphics issues or hitches or anything in game using it, just on the desktop when you aren't.

The Intel 630 is actually pretty competent too. If you have something low intensity like Torchlight 2 and tell it to use the integrated GPU (you do it in the nVidia control panel) it'll run quite well and use less power. It makes gaming on battery feasible, though still not with great life. It's not an amazing card by any means, but it does ok for how low power it is and there's plenty out there that will do just fine on it. Do note it suffers from only 1 RAM channel and getting a 2nd RAM stick will help it a lot.

Battery life is in line with what they claim, if you reconfigure the system. For whatever reason out of the box it runs in high performance mode all the time, even on battery. That keeps the CPU running at max frequency. While it is still pretty efficient, it drains more power than needed and you won't see 8 hours, even doing low intensity stuff. Turn that to balanced and battery goes up a good bit when just browsing the net and such.

Overall I like it, I just wish it didn't have the minor issues. The keyboard and graphics hitching are annoying. Not dealbreakers, as I said I'm keeping mine, but it does keep it from being truly great in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.