Gigabyte announces new Aero 15

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Rinnis, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The screen is a IPS as per the newegg video

scrod likes this.
  2. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! Had not watched the video.

3. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Speaking of the keys, what on earth is with Aorus/Gigbyte continuing to include a pause/break key? If nothing else, I imagine print screen is more commonly used. Or even the insert key, because there are a handful of games that use it, along with the other keys in that 6 pack cluster. How often are people pausing text outputs in their BIOS or whatever? Does anything use the break function anymore? This shot of the layout is taken from an X5 V6.
    [​IMG]

4. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's good if you use command prompts for anything. And there still is a print screen key, its just as a function key of home.

5. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you give me an example of someone who might use the pause function regularly? I'm not trying to be passive aggressive, I'm just genuinely curious. I don't get into command prompt often, but even when I do go in there, I've never wanted to hit the pause key for any reason (fn+home on my current rig). The only time I've used it is to stop the BIOS screen so I can see which key to press for the menu. For something marketed at gamers, I would figure the screenshot function would have a higher accessibility priority. Not that it's far out of the way, as you pointed out, it's all just minor quibbles and curiosity on my part. Though personally if I were on their design team, I would make it an insert key, to better match the layout of a full desktop keyboard. Scroll lock would be shared with num lock as it is now, and print screen, sys req, pause, and break would be behind home, end, pgup, and pgdn. Then the top row of keys (esc, f1-f12, ins, del), plus arrow keys, would be fn key system functions in addition to their normal operations. Volume, screen brightness, wifi on/off, etc. This actually makes me want to look into what 'dream' laptop key layouts are for others, to see if any two people would have completely alike preferences.

Edit: with all that said, I will say that the Aorus X5 does have the best layout I've seen, with big contributors to this sentiment being its macro keys, full-sized arrow keys, and the inclusion of pgup, pgdn, home, and end, atop a numpad.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  6. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's got a smaller footprint than the GS63VR, yeah. It looks about the same size as an XPS 15, more or less.

Aero 15: 14.00" x 9.80" x 0.78".
    XPS 15: 14.10" x 9.30" x 0.66"

scrod likes this.
  7. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, and the XPS is a bit thicker in reality than the 0.66" the specs give, in my opinion, so really pretty similar overall. So you get 1060 vs 1050 on the XPS, ethernet, display port, an extra USB 3.0, an extra m.2 slot and custom keyboard, but no 4K touch option yet. And perhaps a full x4 PCIE lanes worth of TB3, instead of the x2 gimped TB3 port on the XPS. Price seems in the ballpark with Dell and Razer pricing plus or minus a little.

CedricFP likes this.
  8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    it could be a dell xps killer :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    ghegde likes this.
  9. mischieftain

mischieftain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Figures, I just picked up the Aero 14. (Which is fantastic, minus the absence of TB3) :)

ehou333 likes this.
  10. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use regularly? Maybe coders or DOS users, but for everyday people like you or me, the only uses would be for the bios, as you mentioned, or if you typed in a weird command prompt by mistake, you could hit the pause key to maybe terminate it depending on the command prompt. It's not a perfect keyboard, but it matches most laptop keyboards, so until mainstream laptops start changing, it's probably gonna be stuck like that for a while. I do like the way you would prioritize media keys though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.