Gigabyte announces new Aero 15

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Rinnis, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The plot thickens. However the recall story did not originate with New Egg. The first report I'm aware of is the Reddit thread, from a user who purchased from Scan in the UK:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/6a4hin/a_week_after_release_the_gigabyte_aero_15_has/

He's now updated it saying "I got a call from Gigabyte who informed me that the Aero 15 units had not all been recallled, only some select units"

We need a lot more transparency on this. If the issue is some but not all Aero 15s have batteries that will explode, I'd want a foolproof way to know which I have, which rules out relying on Gigabyte or the vendor having looked up the records for my unit correctly. If the issue is that UK has more stringent safety laws than the US, I'm sorry but I'm going to want to play by UK rules on this one. Or if this is really all just a customs paperwork or software issue, I'd like to know so I can stop wasting time worrying about it.

agent_pires, Vistar Shook and Cha72 like this.
  2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "Same panel as the XPS 15" they did indeed say...

Yeah I mean... for a gaming laptop, I'm torn. The XPS's panel has fantastic contrast and color accuracy but not great response times. In some ways the VA panel is better for the aero 15.

3. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thoughts on this computer VS the Aorus X7 V6 (the one wit the FHD IPS pannel)

4. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah still not fast by any standard, though. I figure I'd rather have the brighter display with more color coverage and deal with a little more ghosting, and for fast action games you can always throw a fast, big G-sync monitor on displayport. But at least the WVA is reasonably bright with some sort of calibration and decent enough viewing angles, so no worse than the one on the Blade 14 and probably better than the one on the GS63VR.

5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    DP 2.0 is directly connected to the 1060? That's great. Shame a g-sync monitor costs a retarded amount tho.

6. scrod

Reputations:
    Not positive, but hopefully someone will confirm if it can run a G-sync. Even without G-sync, plenty of very fast gaming displays that are much cheaper. Opens up HDMI too.

7. Cha72

Cha72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. scrod

Reputations:
    Right- the internal display definitely is not G-sync.

The question is if the 1060 drives the DisplayPort and could operate an external G-Sync monitor. Or the Intel graphics might run the displayport and no external G-Sync either.

Eason and Cha72 like this.
  9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would think it's the GPU that's connected. you'll know if when you plug in DP the GPU becomes active. I don't think the 630 HD supports 2.0.

scrod likes this.
  10. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmmmm...[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

agent_pires likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.