Gigabyte Aero 15x v8 Temps (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Dave Bowman, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlmostJamous

AlmostJamous Newbie

Reputations:
    Absolutely not, the worst that would happen is the CPU would become unstable causing the computer to crash and XTU would restore the settings to default. In fact when undervolting some people will decrease the voltage in increments until the computer crashes and then increase a few points to get the maximum undervolt possible.

Each CPU will have a slightly different maximum tolerance hence why some people strive to find the point that is unique to their CPU, I personally took an average of what most people are saying they are undervolting at and have had no problems. -.100mv is a safe place to start for a i7-8750H chip.

2. Dave Bowman

Dave Bowman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not to sound stupid but would it just be better to use it like it came stock or undervolt. I don't need any improvements in performance just hopefully need to know the temperatures are okay to live with for 3-4 years. Also does yours have any back light bleed. Mine has some on the edges, but I heard this is unavoidable on IPS displays

3. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its not about getting more performance, its about maximizing efficiency. There is a manufacturing spec for your processor. It governs how much performance the chip is supposed to get given some power spec. But the manufacturing process isn't perfect. Chips that don't hit that performance target are thrown out, or sold as lower end chip. But in most cases, a chip that hits the target can actually perform the same with even less power than the original spec. So by undervolting, you are getting the same performance for less power draw. Less power is less heat, but it performs the same. We can't just tell you to undervolt to -0.XXXv because your chip is different from ours. Everybody is different, and you have to explore the tune yourself to find the best voltage for your chip.

Your CPU throttles itself to stay safe, you aren't going to destroy it with the heat unless your system begins shutting down to avoid damage. You're only going to see that if you physically cover the vents. So your GPU/CPU will be ok for 3-4 years. You also wont even get that hot unless gaming, or some other load that requires both the GPU and CPU at full power.

AlmostJamous likes this.
  4. Dave Bowman

Reputations:
    Thank you for all your responses. Can anyone recommend a second SSD hard drive and RAM for this computer. I have almost filled up the 512 and probably need to expand both hard drive and RAM at some point so might as well do it now.

Thank you!

5. HV5

HV5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    goo.gl/gN4hCG

You can see this video..he did it on Aero 15...but process is same for Aero 15X....I also got same SSD works fine..FYI it is WD Blue SATA 1Tb M.2

I also did a undervolt of -0.100 mv & did a 30 min stress test in XTU it dropped the temps by almost 10C

6. Dave Bowman

Reputations:
    Thank you, I plan on undervolting tonight using the guide you guys have given me. I will use XTU even though I am a little wary that I will not understand the software and mess something up.

Do you guys think the new Zephyrus laptop will top this one? I like that this laptop has two hard drive slots. I don't think the zephyrus has that.

7. Dave Bowman

Reputations:
    Does XTU automatically start the PC undervolted or do I have to turn it on everytime I boot up?

8. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It will do everything automatically, just make sure that you don't uninstall it!

9. Dave Bowman

Reputations:
    what happens if I need to do a fresh wipe of the PC and have to uninstall it, thank you for the feedback

10. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just reinstall it and apply the undervolt you had before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.