Gigabyte Aero 15-Y9 and -X9 Confirmed

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by jackrabb1t, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romanstyle

romanstyle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Mike570U

Mike570U Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They are shipping now. Just ordered the Y9 (i9, UHD, RTX 2080) version for myself on Newegg.

Comes with a "free" copy of Battlefield V if that’s your thing (you still have to pay taxes on it, because they don’t seem to know a $59.99 gift is not taxable.

I’m not worried about cooling... What’s the fun,without modding?

ubelai and RMXO like this.
  3. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let us know if the keyboard still has issues registering some keys if you don't press it centred

4. Mike570U

Reputations:
    Yeah... That is my one concern coming from the MSI Ghost Pro with its excellent Steel Series keyboard. But we’ll see. The hardware is exactly what I was looking for (i9, UHD, 2080), and I’ve had a lot of crappy laptops for work, so hopefully not or I can keep replacing the keyboard until I find a "factory freak" that works right.

I have grand plans for cooling, including a peltier (i.e. thermocouples) cooling plate using an old zalman aluminum plate and water cooling the thermocouples. :cool:

From the looks of the laptop pictures posted online, I’m thinking that getting a replacement back panel and cutting large holes for thick thermal pads on the CPU/GPU and the cooling pipes terminating at the fan heatsink/radiator (for direct contact to my chilled plate), all may have a substantial benefit. It looks like they are all very close to the back plate.

With thermals in check, it’ll just be at the mercy of Gigabyte’s power delivery choices.

5. dander

Reputations:
    Hopefully you like the keyboard and they fixed the issues. I'm not a big fan of the keyboard on this 15X, I'd rather mushier/linear feeling ones to be honest. Honestly wish the arrow keys had brightness and volume when you press the Fn key like some MSI laptops or at least a function lock

Make a thread here if you're doing that it seems super interesting, haven't heard of people using peltiers in years :D Thick thermal pads on the cpu/gpu? :eek:

Hope it works out for you

6. Mike570U

Reputations:
    I’m sure it will, just watched the tear down video above (I wish I knew what he was saying, but it was informative.

There will definitely be a thread if I pull it together. I wasted a summer modding my Sager NP8960 pictured in my avatar (+more fans, ofc).

Here, it’s just interesting how close the pipes are to the back panel, so thermal pads on top of the heat pipes / surrounding areas, would not need to be that thick to contact a chilled plate. The peltier chill pad is definitely going to happen though. Parts are already slowly being ordered and I can justify it more than laptop mods that only survive the life of that laptop. As this will benefit any (Air conditioned intake). Been kicking this idea around forever and I’ve found myself a slice of time to do it (long story and long medical leave, but time and just enough energy for tinkering).

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It seems more to thermal throttling to me he didn’t mention cpu temperature, i9 is known with this issue on thin light like on MacBook Pro. Can’t believe too my Maxq 1070 performs better both on gta FPS shown above and Firestrike graphics that recently notebookcheck comparison on 15x vs other mobile Turing gpu.
    Battery life most probably due Windows Update and optimization after out of the box. 15X was the best battery life on thin light categories last gen, and Turing mobile should around 40% more energy efficient compared to previous gen according nvidia.

Mike570U likes this.
  8. Mike570U

Reputations:
    That review was bad. Poorly executed, I mean. He didn’t seem too enthusiastic to be doing the review at all (like, "ugh, this was assigned to me.") But, it seems he got basic stuff wrong in his rush to publish first... like he calls it a plastic box, yet the lid and chassis are aluminum,at the very least. And comparing FHD rendering to UHD rendering with the cpu tests including the iGPU tests, well, that’s just sloppy.

EDIT: Gigabyte has already posted a new BIOS , that was unlikely to be part of the review... Probably a bit of "ship now, patch later." Hope they stay one top of it.

Update: FB05. 6.62 MB. 2019/01/30.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Joikansai likes this.
  9. dander

Reputations:
    It's definitely throttling since my Aero 15X with an 8750H throttles, it's probably like the Lenovo laptops where the i5 is faster than the i7 SKUs, so much for "AI"

Best when it works lol, I'm getting the same 3 hours now on mine with undervolt, 0.8Ghz max, dgpu disabled etc. This laptop has been the buggiest pc I've ever used. Defo not 40% in the real world, more cores etc and only 14->12nm

I am waiting for notebookcheck or ultrabookreview to review these since Tom's is so basic regarding info. These laptop refreshes are disappointing

10. Mike570U

Reputations:
    To be honest, if you have an X8, I doubt the performance upgrades are enough incentive to jump in on this platform. Especially if you feel like it’s so buggy. Ofc, you do you. :)

I wanted to holdout for intel’s 7 or 10 nm process fab; but my MSI GS60 is on it’s last legs (new audible capacitor whine and pops) and almost 5 years later it’s about the right time for my own PC "refresh." Haswell to unlocked coffee-lake-s; 970m to 2080 max-q.

Formatting the oem preinstall stamp and reinstalling windows will help civil down on preloaded junk. I know thermals are gonna be the general headache, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.