Gigabyte Aero 15 vs. Sager NP8952

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Xennyatta, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Xennyatta

Xennyatta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am torn if I want the Sager with the 1070 Max Q or the Gigabyte Aero 15 with a 1060 inside. If I spec out the Sager the way I want to, it comes out to $1863. If I spec out the Aero the way I want to, it comes out to $2059. Both of these prices are before I buy stuff elsewhere to upgrade it with after the fact. Neither goes beyond a 60Hz refresh rate but my current pros and cons that I'm thinking about right now:

Sager Pros
    • Allows a hard drive that isn't M.2 exclusive which means I can put a cheaper and bigger hard drive in.
    • 1070 Max Q while not as great as a 1070 itself, it is stronger than a 1060.
    • The price isn't as ridiculous as other laptops in that category and is affordable.
    • It's easy to access things to upgrade if necessary unlike the MSI's which are more difficult and more expensive.
    Sager Cons
    • No 120hz or GSYNC (but neither does the Aero)
    • Battery life is meh at best
    • 1 year warranty. In order to get Gigabyte's 2 year warranty, I have to spend between $79-$99 more
    • My current Sager is experiencing a moboard issue and is being sent back for repairs. Reading a lot of reviews on Sager's warranty tech customer service, it's quite poor and one of the most common complaints I've read was how people's moboards crapped out between the 12-18 month mark. That is concerning to me considering I'm going through it with my current machine right now.
    Aero Pros
    • From what I hear, even though the screen doesn't have a 60hz RR, the screen is quite beautiful
    • It's the perfect size for what I'm looking for
    • It's easy to upgrade
    • It has good rating by a lot of reviewers
    • Excellent battery life and lighter power cord than the Sager
    • Better basic warranty than the Sager. 2 years vs. Sager's 1 year.
    Aero Cons
    • It's couple hundred dollars more expensive than the Sager for only a 1060
    • It only runs off of M.2 Drives which are pricey
    • Again no 120hz or GSYNC
    People complain about the keyboard on the Aero but I hear it's easy to get used to. I use a mechanical keyboard that's very clicky so I'm used to tougher keyboards. That is more of a neutral rather than a pro or con.

Any thoughts?

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Don't buy from Sager pick a reseller with good customer support. LPC-Digital or GenTechPC for example.

The P950 is better value, but the Aero has some nice luxury pros of its own.

Perhaps consider the P650HS? A real 1070 and 120Hz GSync options are available.

3. Xennyatta

Reputations:
    The problem I currently have is that I have a Sager 17" laptop and it's heavy as hell. I travel several times a year and it's so cumbersome and heavy. My body hurts to go anywhere with it. So I'm looking for something that's lightweight, easy to travel with that has some oomph to game with, has the storage to be my main computer and have a chassis I can stand looking at for hours a day. The last one is why I ruled out the Asus Rog Strix. That horrible black and orange keyboard and chassis just was a total turn off. I can't look at it in a store let alone if I had to look at it day in and day out. The Sager you mentioned was on my list but it's not much lighter than what my current machine is now which if I'm going through the process of reselling my current machine and buying a new one, it needs to be closer to what I need/want. I asked if the P950 was ever going to come with a 120hz or GSYNC and I was advised it wasn't on the radar anytime soon. I figure I have a 60hz 1060 now, it's lateral except for the size.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    How much is your current machine? The P650HS is like 6lbs loaded up, not too bad. But the P950 is a poundish lighter iirc.

Oh btw 120Hz: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p950hp6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060.html

5. Xennyatta

Reputations:
  6. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  7. Xennyatta

Reputations:
    My quote from above...

8. Xennyatta

Reputations:
    And now you've added another one to consider lol. However, they are grossly overpriced. If I priced out HID's basic machine with the same machine at Xotic, HID is over $200 more for the same thing. That's adding nothing more to it. I could, however, buy a barebones machine (that they are still overcharging for) and buy the extra components (like hard drives, ram and OS) for a more fair price and install them myself.

9. Ron101

Ron101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What did you end up getting?