Gigabyte Aero 15 VS MSI GS63VR

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by JiDey247, Sep 13, 2017.

?

Which one would you take?

1. Gigabyte Aero 15

68.8%
  2. MSI GS63VR 1070 Max-Q version

31.3%
  3. Razer Blade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JiDey247

JiDey247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought I'd share it with you. Just received a mail from Gigabyte support suggesting that the 4K version could actually be released end of September which is actually really soon.

2. deepsudeep

deepsudeep Newbie

Reputations:
    Which one has lower idle temperature/ fan noise? Does anyone have those specs? The gs63vr has 3 fans vs 2 on aero but the aero is more ventilated so I am not sure. I have the laptop on my lap a lot!

3. Samir Rahman

Samir Rahman Newbie

Reputations:
    I've heard that the GS63VR has pretty bad thermal issues. On a reddit thread I read, someone said that it actually was too hot to touch the keys after some gaming. I would imagine that such heat results in lower lifespan of a laptop. It's easy to look at the raw specs and think that you should get the MSI, but I have heard very mixed reviews about it. If budget is not an issue then I'd go with the Aero 15. Or as another poster said, there is a Clevo model around the same price as the MSI but does not have any serious heating issues.

4. rooney111

rooney111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If price no issue then definitely Aero. Cooling is fantastic and bezel less screen is great. Had to spend few hours "setting up" the machine, auto updates didn't work that will + was a pain to get the ELAN touchpad removed and replace with Windows precision touchpad, this is a must do. Day and night difference.
    Coming from a 2017 MacBook Pro, totally loving the inclusion of all kinds of ports. Only downside will be at 2.25 kg it seems heavier than it is but build quality is good for a non-Apple product.

5. SteckDEV

SteckDEV Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What do you guys think? Would you still go with the Aero 15 over the GS63VR? I'm at the point where I want to purchase one. Just on the fence with what I want to purchase.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    do you mind having to open the laptop and repaste or tinker with settings to get it working, do you need smooother graphics.....then go for the MSI if your into tinkering with msi's only flawed machine

7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can find a detailed look at the MSI's thermals here by NBR's own Charles Jefferies and a review of the Aero 15X (1070 MQ) here. Personally I'd go for the Aero 15X. Another option is the Clevo P950HR which is another thin and light 1070 MQ laptop. Both the P950HR and the GS63VR are only 25-30% faster than the notebook 1060 6GB which makes the $300+ premium of those laptops somewhat questionable. If it were my choice, I'd look at getting the ASUS GL503VS with the full fat GTX 1070. It's a little thicker (23mm vs 19-18mm IIRC) but it has good cooling and doesn't throttle.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    B0B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.