Gigabyte Aero 15 VS MSI GS63VR

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by JiDey247, Sep 13, 2017.

?

Which one would you take?

1. Gigabyte Aero 15

71.4%
  2. MSI GS63VR 1070 Max-Q version

28.6%
  3. Razer Blade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JiDey247

JiDey247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Currently hesitating between those two laptops for gaming and university as well.
    University is starting in one week so I don't really have that much time actually.

Removed the razer blade from my wish list when I heard their customer service was bad.

What I like about the Aero :

- the gorgeous screen (Is it better the 120hz one from the MSI? )
    -the longer battery life

What I like about the MSI
    - the fact that it has a 1070 Max-Q 20% faster than the 1060 of the Aero 15.

Don't know how they're both performing under load but seems that the Gigabyte is a little bit better from what I read.
    Heard that gigabyte was preparing a 4K version that might have 1070 Max-Q as well but guess it won't be released before the end of the year...

So what would you do? I'm lost.

Cheers

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Stay far and away from the Blade 14. From the lack of Quality Control to the poor board design and unreliable components - it's a large liability having anything of value on that device. As for the other 2 - if you want more than 3 hours of battery life - Aero. If you want the absolute highest performance level possible in such a chassis - GS63 (though the 1070MQ is toasty)

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Gigabyte Aero 15 or clevo p950hp6

4. JiDey247

Reputations:
    Alright thanks guys. I definitely won't take the razer blade then.

Don't heard much about the clevo to be honest.

Do you guys know which has the best screen between the Aero 15 and that new 120hz / Max-Q version of the MSI GS63VR?

5. JiDey247

Reputations:
    Also heard about the new MSI GE63VR. Another option to consider I guess?

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's not really a thin or light machine.

7. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Check my signature. There are more infos about clevo

8. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I own an Aero 15, but I think I would prefer the 120hz tn panel to the WVA in the Aero 15. I believe the MSI has a "good TN" panel which mean sit won't have that washed-out, muted TN effect, and while the Aero 15 may (I stress *may* since I have not seen a direct comparison of them) be more color accurate and/or have better colors, for me, the 120hz panel for gaming just scratches my particular itch a lot better. FWIW, the Aero 15's panel is also only average with regard to response time.

Now, you may be wondering why I have the Aero 15 and not the GS63VR? Well, namely battery life (I'll get 5 hours plus comfortably without using battery saver for my normal tasks, and 7 if I really want to stretch it), which is vital for my workflow.

Also, I just happen to love small bezels and small footprints, and can't be happier with how small the Aero 15 is for a 15" laptop.

You might not care about portability or battery life that much, and I would argue that the difference in portability between the MSI GS63VR and Aero 15 is, ultimately on a day-to-day basis, probably quite negligible.

I would suspect that the MSI has a better keyboard due to the SteelSeries keyboard being generally well-received. The Aero 15 has a solid keyboard, but I find it quite "stiff"; as in, it takes more actuation pressure to trigger a keypress than I'd like. But I'm coming from a Surface Pro 2 with type cover, which required absurdly little pressure to activate keys, so for you it may be different. For example, if you're coming from a mechanical desktop keyboard, you'll have no issues typing on this thing. And another FWIW, it took me about a month, but I'm solidly used to the keyboard now and can type at 90% of my usual full speed on the SP2.

FWIW, if I could get that MSI screen and 1070MQ into this Aero 15 body, and pay, say, an extra $500USD for it, I would.

But I would not swap out my Aero 15 for the GS63VR model as is, because of battery life, as I mentioned previously. If battery life was no a concern, I would not have bought this model. But then again, I probably also wouldn't have bought the GS63VR with 1070MQ because I don't feel it's spectacular value.

I think they're very close competitors, but if you're looking for more value, I agree, you can check out the Clevo P950 series, as they are thin, light, and are certainly better straight-up value.

Hope this helps you. If you have any specific questions about the Aero 15 I can answer them, but I cannot help you with a direct comparison to the GS63VR since I don't own one, so it'd all just be my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. JiDey247

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply! Still hesitating to be honest! Really tough choice to me

10. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am on the same situation as you. Since at this point, I'm assuming you have already saw a lot of reviews for both machines, so I would just emphasize on their disadvantages that concerned me the most that I discovered in this forum.

MSI GS63VR: 1. Poor Battery Life - 2 hours or less when WLAN on and Max Brightness
    2. Very Poor Speaker - someone from youtube claimed his phone's speaker is better.
    3. Loud Fans

Gigabyte Aero 15 1. Keyboard issues that has not been addressed as of today. But in my opinion if you don't use shortcut keys that much it won't bother you.
    2. Backlight Bleed on all units. If you are lucky you might get the one with minimal BB.

Even though MSI has more disadvantages, I am leaning more on it since I can live with a poor battery life and poor speaker but not with a poor screen and problematic keyboard. Just like you, I still haven't made my decision because I am still waiting for a better machine that might come out since the coffee lake processors were already out. I hope this helps.