Gigabyte Aero 15 Review

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by scrod, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergio Aero 15

Sergio Aero 15 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does it perform better with windows precision drivers? Can you tell me how you did it please, same strange feeling with elan drivers

2. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What you basically do is download the Lenovo drivers extract them to a folder. Edit the .ini file HWINFO value to 0. Install the setup.exe. once that's done go into device manager right click the ELAN device. Have disk and choose own drivers. Choose the .ini file. Once that's installed run ccleaner to clean any mess up. Reboot and you'll be done.

3. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Over 6 weeks now and no issues to report. A nice notebook that has lived up to expectations so far, despite some flaws mentioned here and in the owner's thread. At Newegg there are now over 50 reviews, over 80% are 4 or 5 stars. The most common complaints seem to be black uniformity issues from backlight bleed, poor webcam placement, mediocre trackpad precision, susceptibility to fingerprints and for the keyboard not registering, mainly some 3-key combinations with left-shift.

Updated original review to add PC Mag's review with benchmarks:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3202691/

Ron101 and GenTechPC like this.
  4. e1evenz1n

e1evenz1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey scrod,
    I miss looking to snatch up the same deal as you( free CLU repaste). Do you think it was worth it? Do you know if there a possibility of it spreading out of the gpu/cpu/heatsink over time? Also how was the backlight bleed on your device?

5. scrod

Reputations:
    I would hope any custom retailer that offers CLU has enough experience that there is no concern about applying too much. I'd think you'd know pretty quickly if there was an issue! Since it didn't cost anything @GenTechPC on their deal, I see no drawback to CLU if the retailer has a freebie for it. It's supposed to have good longevity, so that isn't a concern, either. I wasn't able to compare before/after temps, so I can't say if it offered much improvement, though.

I characterize the backlight bleed as typical. There is some flashlighting at the corners, common in most LCD panels, and a bit more along the bottom edge. Honestly, if you get a panel with zero backlight bleed on any notebook, I'd consider that very lucky, or extremely good panel QC. I think some people are more sensitive to black screen uniformity than others. We have 4 computer monitors, 3 notebooks and two large screen TVs in the house and all have it to some degree, but I don't notice it at all while gaming or really on anything unless the room is dark and there is a black desktop background or on something with a very dark scene or between commercials when the screen goes dark. What's worse to me is white uniformity, because when a display varies in color or brightness across the screen, I notice it all the time. Fortunately, most newer panels I've seen aren't too bad in that regard, including the one on the Aero 15.

I did a basic screen test and found only one partially stuck pixel (no green) in the lower left corner. It was in an inconspicuous location so I didn't consider it worth using the dead pixel guarantee. Plus, otherwise the display seemed decent enough that a replacement would have been a crapshoot. It's reasonably bright, but probably average compared to others in the same class. Colors and uniformity looked OK. Gaming looked good. Overall, a lot better than the mediocre TN panel in the notebook it replaced, but probably no better or worse than the IPS panels in the Razer Blade 14 or MSI GS63VR that are also pretty average panels in this class. The XPS15 panels, both FHD and 4K, really stood out among those I saw, but of course, it only has a GTX1050. Still, if you get the $1999 Costco deal, you get the great 4K IGZO touch display, 32GB memory and 1TB SSD and a 4 year warranty if you use the Costco Visa. Combined with a 90 day return policy, it was a tough call, but I think the Aero 15 was a better choice for my son given the higher graphics power and the deal we got through GentechPC.

GenTechPC likes this.
  6. e1evenz1n

e1evenz1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for the input, you mention that the CLU is supposed to have good longevity, do you know approximately how much time that is until it needs replacing?

Did you inquire about the warranty specifically for any problems that might arise due to the CLU job?

As silly as it may sound, I'm trying to get the aero 15 in as perfect a form as it can get. Is a panel without any backlight bleed possible? Id really not like to have a panel with excessive back light bleed after going through the thermal repaste and deadpixel warranty.

7. scrod

Reputations:
    I was told that the warranty would cover it. I don't really have an answer for your other questions, sorry.

8. Ron101

Ron101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome review.

How are you finding backlight bleed? Has it been a big issue?

Esaelias187 likes this.
  9. Esaelias187

Esaelias187 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. Esaelias187

Esaelias187 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    have you got backlight bleed too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.