Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED vs MSI Creator 15 A11

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Brawn, Oct 15, 2021.

?

Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED vs MSI Creator 15 A11

1. Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED

33.3%
  2. MSI Creator 15 A11

66.7%
  1. Brawn

Brawn The Awesome

Reputations:
  2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shooting for the moon on those configs I see. Either option is fine though. W/O knowing what you're using them for it's hard to say pro/con of either other than price.

If you're just throwing money at them to spec them out as high as possible that's one thing but, you could go with a base build and turn around and install your own drives / ram / wifi / screen options that will server you just as well or better for significantly less $.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should provide more details as to what exactly you'll be using these machines for.

4. Brawn

Brawn The Awesome

Reputations:
    i'm using it mainly for gaming.. web browsing, videos, microsoft office (mainly excel)

i also like to take it out to cafes, so hopefully i get at least 3 hours battery life

i want it as 'future proofed' as possible because i don't switch laptops yearly

i really do not want synaptics touchpad driver because i've had very bad experience

i also do not want to need to hold the function key to change volume or brightness

thanks for input guys!

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are the two laptops in the poll the only options available to you due to location or other factors? I ask because of how I'll be addressing your individual points below.

While OLED is wonderful for content consumption, it's not well suited for gaming right now because of a lack of high-refresh options. You're stuck at 60 Hz, which may be fine for some folks, but if you've gotten used to 120 Hz+ panels, it's really hard to go back. With OLED TVs offering native high refresh support and PC-style features like variable refresh rate, it may only be a matter of time before laptop panels start following suit, but right now the tech is not there yet.

For web browsing and office use, you may want to consider laptops that offer 16:10 aspect ratio screens. 2560x1600 is a nice sweet spot for performance and allowing you to see more information on the screen as you can use a lower scaling ratio in Windows than you would on a 4K panel (unless you have eagle-eye vision). The tradeoff is that you'll have to deal with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen if you're viewing full-screen content since most everything is formatted for the more common 16:9 aspect ratio.

Most gaming laptops can hit this mark when running on the CPU's integrated graphics. Some can go quite a bit longer if you're willing to play with things like power limits and CPU turbo boost frequencies. If power outlets are available at locations you frequent, it would be a good idea to find a laptop that supports USB-C charging. This way you can bring a small 100W GaN charger and never worry about running out of juice when performing light-duty tasks like office work or surfing/streaming.

Future proofing is an admirable goal, but the old adage "they don't build them like they used to" really applies to the portable computer market. Trying to get 6, 7, 8 years out of laptop hardware these days sadly isn't necessarily possible nor practical. This goes double for the OLED models you're looking at because there is the very real possibility of screen burn in and/or the organic substrate failing with long-term use. Going with a standard LED panel obviously mitigates that risk, but you still run into diminishing returns the higher you go in a given product stack.

For the sake of argument, let's assume you have a $4000 budget. Instead of dumping all of it into one laptop hoping to get 6-8 years of use, it makes more sense to spend half that and use it for 3-5 years. Then you put the leftover funds toward something else or to save for your next upgrade. There are some very nice options in the mid-range market, and doubling your spend is not going to get you double the performance, battery life, or overall longevity. You'll also take much less of a hit on the resale market with a lower-priced machine.

Lastly, every laptop has flaws to some degree, be they display, keyboard, touchpad, fan acoustics and idle behavior, software integration, whatever. With the models you're interested in, those issues are going to be exaggerated because of the expectation of perfection that comes with wanting to purchase a high-end product.

This hasn't been a problem for a long time because pretty much every laptop on the market uses Windows Precision drivers.

Most laptops offer this functionality through a BIOS switch so you'll be good there.

If you're willing to consider what I've presented above, then we can go forward from here.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  6. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are not going to get 3 hours on gaming on neither laptop. I wouldn't pick neither laptop for gaming, they have have 4k 60hz panels.

Gaming on battery life will get you at most 1.5hrs and at reduced performance because the battery can not provide enough amps or power to supply both the cpu and the gpu. But I would get the MSI for the stronger gpu. The aero 15 is rated at 80w, 105w with boost, the MSI is rated at 115w, 130w with boost.

And you can undervolt the processor on the MSI for a bit better cooling and/or performance, you can only put XMP profile on the MSI if you have ram that can do XMP profiles.
    The aero 15, the cpu will top out at 3.85ghz at most, the MSI will clock higher with undervolting and good TIM. This is both processors running at 100%.

etern4l likes this.
  7. Brawn

Brawn The Awesome

Reputations:
    @saturnotaku > thank you for your extremely detailed response, and you are correct about more bang for buck with lower priced machines, however.. i decided to get the gigabyte aero 15 because i just got it on a very good deal. 700$ rebate + it was also on discount

i also prefer changing my notebook about every 4 years because i am too lazy to switch notebooks and transfer data and set everything up the way i like it

unfortunately, the OLED panel is 60hz, but currently, almost all high refresh rate notebooks have a matte screen and i just really dislike matte screens

fortunately, i'll be able to reduce the 4k resolution to 1080p for games since the NVIDIA ampere GPUs can downscale much better from what i read because of some new technology

in total, it cost about $3000 canadian, after taxes and rebate, about 2500 USD total.

i decided on this because there's a lot more background history to the AERO 15 line, with many more owners and reviews, whereas the MSI creator 15 is new with almost no reviews

@yosv211 > also, thank you, i will not be gaming at the cafe, just browsing.. but i did not notice the gpu power difference! you're correct, the MSI has better performance, and ~1 WHr more battery life

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021