Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED i7, 2070 Max-Q Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Sabs47, Aug 2, 2019.

1. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    my bios is up to date but i flashed in anyway and it was the same bios from the build date :) and no difference in performance
    so all the drivers are the ones from gigabyte website i tried other versions but the one i have now are all the drivers from gigabyte website
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15-OLED--Intel-9th-Gen/support#support-dl-driver
    so basically this laptop performs like my 5 year old 970m laptop with maybe 7 fps better in games :) if gigabyte can help in anyway i'd be grateful

not sure what tick you're having but mine has some of that but i thought it was rattling from the fan
    is yours the 1660Ti model?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It turns out is is the fan! When the laptop spins into high rpm if it is not flat it starts to make the ticking sound, the fan marked for GPU is main culprit on my YA unit. If you move the laptop while fans rpm is high...the fans also start to tick. If the laptop is lifted more than 20 degrees in the rear the tick starts at high rpm like magic.

I was able to get good video of it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That sounds like debris in the fan. Possibly a broken propeller or something small stuck inside the fan thats being tossed around as the propellers move.

4. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    maybe try to unfix the screw of fans and lock the screw back tighter

5. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried that, and I also tried to kapton tape under the fan on any part of the plastic layer that lifts and could interfere with no luck :(. What makes this stressful is in two weeks I am going to Germany.. if XoticPC cares to reply to my support message and see what we can do...Is Gigabyte DE RMA going to give me a QWERTZ unit? Do they even have the parts to fix this yet... If I wait to RMA in the US i wont have a working laptop till Febuary-May 2020 which is not okay, could they possibly just send me a replacement heat sink assembly there?. I cannot even sell my P775 until this mess is resolved and I really don't feel like bringing two laptops to Europe because one has to be RMA'd there. My unit has no coil whine just this so...win some you lose some.

6. denshaSai

denshaSai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Gigabyte rep and users, I recently got aero 15 XA 240Hz screen one, not the oled.

When the fan is off, I can here this constant metallic ticking noise. It is always there whether the fan is on or off,
    but just more obvious when the fan is off.

Is this normal? do other ppl have the same thing or is this defective unit?

I linkt the video with the noise.

7. Jan Prochnica

Jan Prochnica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Coil whine. Common.

8. denshaSai

denshaSai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does other aero user experience this coil whine? it gets pretty annoying, I can hear it super clearly.
    I am still within return period, thinking if I should exchange for another unit if it is possible to have better noise control.

Also how much cpu undervolt can ppl do? I can do -.160, this is pretty good (better than average)?

9. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can hear the coil whine as well but im at the point where it doesnt really bother me.

I'm undervolted at -0.150. Average at 42 deg.

10. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone has any issues with the edges cutting into your hands or wrists. I once tested the aero 15 with the i9 9880hk and the edges would cut my wrists. I loved the overall feel and weight of the machine but the typing was not the best.