Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED i7, 2070 Max-Q Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Sabs47, Aug 2, 2019.

1. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks for your help appreciate it, my issue is actually not stutter but the fps is very low, i found out that if i set to exclusive full screen the fps will go up borderless will give me at most 30 LOL
    but even with fulscreen it's still not much better than my 970m laptop which is very weird
    if there's not much going on the fps will hover around 50 once a lot things happen it will drop to around 35 with my 970m it will hover around 42 and drop to 30 when many things are happening
    there's an option to display network statistics to see fps in the option window that's what i used because it updates much faster, afterburner updates every second
    :) really appreciate your help

2. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol i've never played this game. Had to google how to show fps. I'm getting 80-90 fps during the game with 4k borderless.

3. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks very much if you're in nor cal i'll buy you a beer :)
    i guess i'm switching to your old sager 2070 :)
    although i'm a bit worried at how sager can sell the laptop so cheap the 2070 is not max q and the price is $500 cheaper than gigabyte

4. Sabs47

Reputations:
    I'll take you up on that offer or if you ever end up in Houston, beer is on me.

I'll tell you this, the 2070 on the Sager is a badass piece of tech. I wish the Sager had more battery but I'm not going to lie, I'm very happy with the Aero. At the same time, the Sager is better prices than the Aero.

5. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Several things you could try:
    1. Update NV driver, no matter from GIGABYTE or NVIDIA
    2. Update BIOS
    3. Update Intel UHD graphic driver
    4. Max out fan setting in control center (to gaming or auto-maximum 100%)
    5. if none of above works, maybe try F9 recovery

6. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi gigabyte representative :)

Thanks for the reply

and i've tried everything except bios i think the problem is with single channel memory i actually called your customer service as well he asked me to try downgrading nvidia drivers tried that too but when i get home today i'll try the bios update
    I see a lot of small problems with this laptop
    streaming twitch using an app will cause severe stuttering and i figured out yesterday that i needed to switch to dGPU to remove stuttering but then if i open youtube and twitch at the same time they will lag
    streaming twitch from chrome will lag quite a lot especially if its 1080
    opening youtube will also lag in the beginning
    I noticed yesterday when comparing it to my non optimus laptop that the fps during dota will fluctuate wildly on aero laptop compared to my non optimus laptop which only has 980m and my old laptop has better fps :)
    playing 4k youtube videos will also cause the fan to spin up a lot it seems like it struggles to play 4k youtube, playing the same video on my non optimus laptop is fine fan doesn't even spin up

it's a good laptop but it seems like it struggles a lot in small ways i'll write up a more detailed review later :)

7. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you or anyone with any of the oled models happen to have a loud tick tick ticking sound at load and in games? First it only happened in 3DMark FS in physics and Aida64, now it happens in games like Jurassic world evolution. If it doesnt tick it makes a very faint popcorny-crackling sound from same general area. It happens on and off of the wall. Everyone said to jump ship from P775 but...wowser this thing. I cannot even use it in a plane or uni environment. The ticking is 5db spikes (44> 49 over and over)

8. Sabs47

Reputations:
    I havent had a ticking noise but I can attest to a faint whine even with the laptop is not under any stress and it gets really loud when i'm gaming. Its hard to describe but its just this weird whine sound along with the fans themselves. I'll push my laptop to see if there is a ticking noise.

9. g85222456

Reputations:
    could you share me the version of BIOS/Intel graphic driver/NV driver?

10. g85222456

Reputations:
    could you identify where the sound is from? possibly the interference of fan and mechanical parts while fan speed up