Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED i7, 2070 Max-Q Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Sabs47, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting 14500 in fire strike and thats with XTU undervolt. One thing i've noticed with the laptop is that it goes in full performance when plugged vs on battery. I've seen the FPS on battery. Ghost recon was barely touching 19 fps on Very high settings but as soon as I plugged in the charger it went to 90 fps.

Question why did you choose the 1660ti over the GTX versions?

I'm running a -0.150 V undervolt on XTU along with Short power max at 80 and Long power max at 62. Computer does normal functions between 36c to 41c.

2. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the 14500 is the firestrike score or the graphics score ? because 1660 Ti already has 14000 graphics score but the score is 12 000
    i have mine plugged in all the time and set it to max performance or high performance
    because 1660 Ti is $800 cheaper :) and for the old games i played they don't make much of a difference but it looks like these old games can utilize the new hardware :)
    by the way do you see stuttering on youtube and twitch? i see it time to time

3. Sabs47

Reputations:
    I changed my primary ssd to a samsung evo 970. These are the scores I got when I just ran FS and TS on plugged in. As far as stuttering, I havent seen any but I also turned off hardware acceleration in google chrome. Its a known issue that causes problems like stuttering.
    Firestrike.jpg

Timespy.jpg

4. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your feedback!

5. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    that's a very good score :) if it's not too much to ask will it be possible for you to install dota and see if you have the same issue ? if yours's ok i'll return mine and get the 2070

6. Sabs47

Reputations:
    Installed the free version of the game and ran it with the laptop plugged in. No issues for me so far. I would strongly suggest going to the gtx series. I was reading on in the Aero threat that someone else was having the stuttering issue on their 1660ti version as well.

7. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for trying it out, did you max out everything under 4k res? what fps did you get ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  8. Sabs47

Reputations:
    I put it at very high. Honestly at 4k most games will the machine to the test regardless of how old they are. If I wanted to game on 4k I would have gone I9/2080 route

9. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I see what fps did you get ? the thing is that with my 970m laptop 4k res i already got around 42 fps dota is not demanding so when I got only around 50 fps with 1660ti i was shocked at how low it was

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  10. Sabs47

Reputations:
    Just ran it again. I didnt measure the FPS but i set to 4k boderless resolution and it ran without a hitch. No stutter or any issues.