Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED i7, 2070 Max-Q Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Sabs47, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm back at it again with another initial impression and I think this one might be the laptop for a bit. I posted in the Sager section back in June when I bought a Sager NP8485 but a few short comings resulted in the laptop heading back and led me to the Aero OLED.

Specs:
    - 15.6 Inch screen
    - Intel i7 9750H processor
    - 16 GB ram
    - Nvidia 2070 Max-q
    - Samsung SSD
    - Killer 1650AX wireless

Ordering process:
    I sent the Sager back to Gentech Pc where I had initially bought it. Ken was helpful as usual in the return process and provided me a full refund in terms of store credit which made life easy to order the Aero through their website. I only requested for Grizzly Kryonaut to be added to the laptop even though Gigabyte claims they paste the laptop pretty well but I dont want to take chances with a machine that I plan on keeping for as long as possible. The ordering to shipping process took about 9 days.

Unit Impression:

From the reviews I had read about the Aero, I was given the impression that its not a good looking laptop but this one here is aesthetically good to look at. Build quality is quite decent. The RGB keyboard is a delight and the AERO written on the laptop lights up which I think is kinda cool.

The main highlight of the laptop is the OLED screen. After using the Sager I was spoiled and wanted to stay with OLED. The Areo OLED comes factory calibrated and it has a custom profile selected in the display section for color calibration and unlike the Sager, it allows for HDR content play. Sager and Gigabyte, infact all OLED vendors in the laptop market are currently using the same Samsung panel but Sager didnt offer HDR. The screen pops out, articles look awesome, pictures are vibrant on a whole new level. Its worth the investment in my opionion.

The second best thing about the laptop is the weight. Mine came at just under 4.5 lbs. Literally half the weight of my five year old AW. Again its fun having one less instrument capable of death in the house but at the same time there is a little bit of a worry. The Aero is built to be a sleek, slender machine almost competing with Macbooks and XPS laptops so I know it dont have the comfort of a spill or a drop on this laptop. Its not built to take any abuse at all, as if any laptop is but there is zero room for error on this one.

The keyboard on the laptop is RGB and offers a very crisp input. Low profile and small travel, however I have to get used to having a numpad. My old AW machine didnt have one so there will be an adjusting period with this. The trackpad is awesome and the fingerprint reader on the trackpad actually works compared to the Sager being a hit or miss. So far I have yet to have a single rejection on the Aero versus the Sager where it was a constant headache.

Now one of the main reasons I sent the Sager back was the battery life. Sager told me that the laptop was meant to be a desktop replacement and wont give me more than 2 max 3 hrs of battery life. Unfortunately that is lower then the point where I would consider it an issue so it had to go. The Aero had given me 5 hours on the first charge and that was me doing updates, setting up my apps and multitasking to get the laptop ready to be used.

I ran Fire strike on the laptop right out the bat to get an idea of where the laptop stood and I got a score for 13570. I tried to run Time Spy but for some reason it refused to load. That was the first snafu but after completing all the updates for windows and the drivers, it started to run. I installed Throttle Stop and undervolted the cup to -125mV and the gpu to -20.5 mV and my Fire Strike score jumped to 14664 and Time Spy DX 12 came to 6366. Not exactly raving scores but I wont be gaming as much as I'll be working on media related stuff on the laptop. The laptop was idling between 39-41C but jumped up to 89-91C during the test.

The Fans on the laptop do get pretty loud when the load is placed on the laptops. I'm not really bothered by sound so thats not an issue for me but people who are sensitive to fan noise may want to consider that.

Quirks so far:

The main quirk I have is that the laptop is built to sleek and good looking but the screen is connected to the chassis with two hinges. I like to move around the house from the living room to the bed room to the media room. Its bothersome to close the lid for 2 seconds and open it back up but I've noticed that the screen tends to jiggle when I do that so that doesnt really enforce confidence in the hinges.

Another quirk is software. I had to uninstall the control center and reinstall it. It doesnt have an option where I can run it automatically at the beginning of windows. I have to manually open it to run. Maybe that is a user error but I have yet to find a solution.

So far the laptop seems like a good purchase but then again I've had it for a day and a half. Nothing against the Sager but the Aero is a seperate class of its own and HDR on the screen looks awesome. I'm available to anyone if any questions come up.

GenTechPC and custom90gt like this.
  2. otezs

otezs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had been eyeing Aero 15 when it was first introduced back in 2017 i think and I find it great looking, if you don't opt for like the shiny orange and green. The cost is on the high side for me and with all the initial waves of problems it made me hesitate even more. Even now, Gigabyte after-sale support seems to be a nightmare for many people, I am sure there are a lot of happy users too but I didn't want to buy a device that is hard to get any warranty work done in Canada.

For the software, you can try System Ninja or any other software that lets you look at system status with additional tools to help you clean up registries and what not. Alternatively, try looking for the control centre in your "System Configurations" panel, you can get there by typing "msconfig" in your search bar i think? then just go under the tab that says "Start Up" and look for your control centre.

Enjoy the laptop! The Pantone-certified screen should be pretty amazing to look at.

Sabs47 likes this.
  3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea, new Aero looks great and I was also considering it. It looks much better than any Sager option and I would not be buying Sager again due to issues with previous models. The only thing I do not like about Aero is the price.

Not sure if Kryonaut was the good option for it and personally I would go straight to liquid metal instead. Liquid metal is not that hard to install and should last longer after you'll give it some time to be absorbed into copper and add some extra after that.

4. Sabs47

Reputations:
    Yeah for some reason that i cannot even remember, I went with Kryonaut over Conductonaut. I ran into a sanfu with XTU earlier today which was weird but so far the laptop idles between 36C-41C. I played Ghost Recon on 1080P Very High settings and got 77 FPS stable. Tried Wolfenstien Young Blood on 1080P and it ran like a Champ on Mien Leben.

So far the laptop is holding itself good. It is on the pricier side. I have to fork out a bit to add a second drive and im eyeing the Adata 8200Pro for that reason.

5. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    I wish I would have gone with the i7, but ingot my i9 2070 FHD for 1900, prove was too good to pass up. Thermals are tough to deal with b7t coming had keeps temps down.

My second Aero 15, classy enough for a business setting, full 10key pad, great performance keeps me coming back for more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I just got AERO 15 OLED with RTX 2060. The OLED display is awesome and I’m happy with this machine thermal & performance.

I found that my unit producing a high pitch fan noise even at around 2000 rpm. It’s really annoying when you’re working (typing some documents & web surfing) in very quiet room with low ambient noise. I can clearly hear the whine noise from the fans.

I watched and read several AERO 15 OLED reviews that they mentioned the fans are quiet during idle. I wonder if my unit is defective?

7. Sabs47

Reputations:
    No that sounds about right. The fans on the unit do tend to make a weird pitch noise. I've been noticing it for the past two days. I ended up removing control center and letting XTU take over everything. That helped but if you want to keep the control center, play a little bit with the fan settings in the app. You can adjust the graph to custom and let the fan runs slower than what the app is set to. See if that helps.

Another thing I noticed is that XTU is telling me the laptop is on 'current limit throttling' when running on battery but goes to normal when I plug it in.

unlogic likes this.
  8. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    mine has the same noise i think it's normal :)

unlogic likes this.
  9. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    my problem is when i played dota the fps is very low i set res to 4k and maxed out everything but the funny thing is that if i removed anti aliasing or lower the rendering quality i got the same fps not sure why and if i compared it to my 970m laptop it's only marginally better
    also i tested grid autosport and compared it to my old 970m laptop with same setting i only get extra 7 fps and my aero is 1660 Ti which is very weird i've tried updating everything
    if you guys know what settings i can change please let me know thanks
    also i see stuttering on youtube and twitch

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    grats ! :) from a video i saw they said that the laptop was already undervolted out of the box not sure how accurate that is ?
    and what is your firestrike graphics score ? due to the fps problem above i consider upgrading to 2070 max q but not sure how much difference that would make