Gigabyte Aero 14

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Dariel3012, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queksilber

Queksilber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Some german website (winfuture) has a hand-on video which shows the underside and the power adapter:
    The adapters appears in a similar look like the Razer Blade one and has a USB-Charging port.

[​IMG]

The underside shows an even bigger mesh directly under GPU and CPU. That could do a big deal in cooling + that will make cooling-pads with fans a lot more efficient.

[​IMG]

EDIT: what I just found out, there a 3 different backlight-colors for the uppermost macro key, orange, light green and purple (probably one for each different lid).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. IAMdiscerning

IAMdiscerning Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually from my point of view, the reason why Gigabyte incorporated a 970m instead of 1070m is mainly because of price and the market Aero 14 is aiming at. With 1070m on the verge, I believe Gigabyte must have managed to get a good deal on 970m from Nvidia, plus it is not like a 970m is a totally unusable card even in the future. You should factor in the price which Aero 14 is at and compare to similar laptops, you will realize there's not even a competition! Besides, you must understand not only GAMERS are looking for laptops with capable cooling system and good specs, there are still users from graphic designing, image/ video editing as well, those who doesn't really put much focus into gaming such that they can "tolerate" the use of 970m/ 965m. Also, it may because of the release date as well. Some just can't afford to wait until August or later. Not to mention the fact of the 94WH BATTERY, with some clever software optimization, this thing can literally last longer than some business laptops.

@Charles P. Jefferies may I ask the difference between the power consumption of a QHD and Full HD screen, say at the same brightness? Or from your experience any idea of the battery life difference between those 2 panels?

If possible, I would like you to enquire Gigabyte on these questions as well:
    1. Any plan for a 15.6" Aero?
    2. Color gamut of the screen. Also, will all Aero 14 have the same panel?
    3. Is the exhaust vent pointing towards the screen? If so, any long term side effect on the panel?

Thanks, hopefully there's a review soon.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    CaerCadarn likes this.
  3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll ask about whether they have plans for a 15.6-inch version.
    The color gamut is 70% sRGB.
    The Razer Blade employs a similar thermal design, where the exhaust points at the screen. I haven't heard any reports of that causing problems with the display. You might check the Razer Blade owner's lounge.

I received a reply back from Gigabyte. Here's the answers I received.

--The Aero 14 USB Type-C does NOT have Thunderbolt 3 support
    --The fans do turn off when the notebook idles
    --UK availability is also mid-June, with the price point $1,499-$1,699 (they quoted US$)

There has been no word on mobile Nvidia Pascal (1070M, etc). Nvidia's presentation at Computex 2016 was completely absent of mobile. So right now, it's a waiting game.

Charles

4. IAMdiscerning

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  5. ricak

ricak Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What a shame, this was looking almost my perfect laptop on paper :( oh well, back to the search...

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I'll see what Gigabyte says. I believe you're right it would make sense that it's NTSC.

That one had all the screws removed in the base for some reason, so the edge isn't flush. Not an issue with the notebook.

Charles

8. Reizenn

Reizenn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmmm I wonder which would have a better build quality, this or the Aorus x3 plus v5? Am up for a new laptop in a few months to replace my old G46vw and I really like the X3 but with its price point and not so good build quality makes me think twice. And considering i'll be able to save a couple more of bucks with the Aero. Thanks for the suggestions :D

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I think the Aero 14 feels more solid than the Aorus X3 Plus. Also, the keyboard on the Aero 14 is a lot nicer feeling, with a better layout too.

Charles

huntnyc likes this.
  10. IAMdiscerning

Reputations:
    Hey Charles, based on your experience with the Aero, which laptop would you say have around the same feeling? X3? P55 v5? Does the nicer feeling comes from a better tactile feedback or a better key depth?

From the pictures, besides the macro keys, it also have a row of end, page down/up, home button right?

11. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    The Aero 14 has dedicated Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys along the right side. :)
    The P55W is mostly plastic from what I could tell. Pretty reasonable quality overall, but it's not aluminum like the Aero 14.

The keystrokes on the Aero 14's keyboard have a good amount of throw, enough to offer ample tactile feedback. They're crisp and have good cushioning at the bottom of the keystroke, so they don't feel like just tapping plastic squares. Additionally, the keyboard deck has no perceptible flex. Out of all the Gigabyte/Aorus notebooks I've reviewed, the Aero 14 in my mind unquestionably has the best keyboard to date.

Charles

huntnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.