Gigabyte Aero 14

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Dariel3012, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I emailed gigabyte sales about this and future TB3 support. They said "when we get TB3 models, we'll advertise on the page" and they would get back to me with release date info and where to buy when that information was available.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    CUrious about it then. I used a lot of GIgabyte products in the past. Around 12 motherboards in 15 years and they where all great. SO it woul dbe nice if they could succeed in the notebook realm.

3. IAMdiscerning

IAMdiscerning Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OMMMMFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HOPE THEY MAKE A 15INCH WITH NUMPAD THEN HEAVEN IS HERE
    p.s. don't mind it being thicker, make sure it is cool please...
    p.p.s: ever plan on releasing a laptop for much less intense gaming user with the same specs???

Btw, if there is a reason why the laptop market is declining, it must be because some genius marketing dude suggested to focus on fully gaming laptops without batteries, high performance dual-core laptops, a high gamut display that charges you way more than the panel cost itself, "great" after-sales/ pre-sales customer service and the most FRUSTRATING thing: all day battery life with your laptop on sleep mode!!!!!!

GREAT WORK GIGABYTE, GREAT WORK INDEED! Hope you can revive the laptop market and bring upon a revolution from the way things were.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  4. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once again, I'm really liking the form factor and minimalist, Aorus-like styling coming from Gigabyte. Seems a bit too deep, but nothing yarring. With a 94.24Wh battery in a 1.89kg 14-inch machine, I'm hoping they've managed to lower the idle power consumption (maybe the fans aren't always on?), which has hindered a great battery life in the past. Not sure how well dumping all the heat from a 970M and i7 processor over the screen like a MBP will work, even if the vents are sizeable. A bit surprised to see them incorporate a glossy touchpad, considering how Aorus notebooks have been taking flak from reviewers for using them. Personally, I don't find the glide properties of it to be bad if it is the same, but you'd think they'd take the criticism to heart.

5. a15g

a15g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep. My V5 came with uneven base/track pad buttons and also more flex than what I am comfortable with. The only thing that made it feel premium was the weight. Other than that the P34W felt like crap to me.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Funny story about the p34: i brought it into work and showed my coworker. "Cost me 1600 but it's one of the most powerful laptops of the size"
    (Inspecting laptop) "1600 baht? Hmm not bad!"

1600 baht is about 40 usd

7. TheVerySpecialK

TheVerySpecialK Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks like a nice laptop with some inherent flaws in terms of hardware. First off, it has a 1440p screen. This isn't really an issue in and of itself, but it is no secret that higher resolutions drop overall gaming performance and eat up more VRAM. Then, consider that the graphics cards available with this laptop, the GTX 965M and 970M, are the "lower end" versions (built with 2GB and 3GB dedicated graphics memory, respectively, as opposed to the 4GB and 6GB versions that are also available).

So, what you end up with is a high resolution screen with a low amount of graphics memory. This is counter-intuitive, as higher resolutions typically require a greater amount of graphics memory. With 1440p, you can expect to be pushing your VRAM consumption well over 2GB on ultra settings in most modern games, with some (like Shadow of Mordor or GTA V) exceeding 3GB of VRAM usage on ultra. In other words, Gigabyte should have provided more VRAM headroom at 1440p.

Fine, you say, I'll just run things at 1080p. However, there are issues here as well. From what I've read, 1440p screens don't scale well to 1080p resolution due to the uneven pixel ratio between 1080p and 1440p (as opposed to the perfect 1:4 of 1080p to 4k). In other words, while you can indeed drop resolution settings down on a 1440p screen, you are likely going to run into blurring and other issues when dropping to 1080p. In a way, it would have been better to just have a 4k screen on this laptop.

Unless they release a 1080p version of this laptop, I would wait for the next generation of mobile GPUs to hit before getting this thing. Gigabyte will probably do a refresh, and the new cards will likely have more VRAM. I would also like to see a 15.6" version of this laptop with a numpad keyboard. Throw in 1080p or more VRAM and I'm sold.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I recommend every potential laptop buyer on the market now to wait till the new pascal mobile gpu's arrive. The 970M will quickly become obsolete when they arrive. Its already now just enough to play modern games on medium settings.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, I've never noticed any blurring at 1080p on QHD/QHD+ screens. I don't think the screen is an issue at all- frankly, 1080p should be killed on screens above 13.3".

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Windows Scaling is far from perfect. Certain software, like Adobe Photoshop, doesn't even support it, which makes such software almost unusable on very high-res displays like 3K/4K.
    Also, 3K/4K displays take up quite a bit of processing power, reducing overall battery life vs. a 1080p display. 2,560x1,440 is a decent middle ground. On a 14" display though, some scaling (125-150%) will probably be required for readable text.
    So, 1080p still has practical advantages.

I talked with Gigabyte, the Aero 14 will ship before mid-June to the US, and the price range will be $1,499-$1,699.

We'll have our hands-on Gigabyte Aero 14 article up soon.

Charles

Eason and ThatOldGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.