Gigabyte Aero 14

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Dariel3012, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dariel3012

Dariel3012 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my Aero today. Few points...

- The screen wobble isn't as bad as I thought it would be, the rigidity of the hinge is comparable to other Gigabyte laptops(I also have p34w-v2). It wobbles a bit more cause there's nothing to hold the screen as you can extend it all the way flat.

- My machine has been silent when browsing / watching videos etc. Fans have only turned on when gaming. Temperatures have been good, however cores have peaked at 96c whilst playing Overwatch. During game play they sit around 77-80 I'm trying to pinpoint when the spike happens as it's a bit unusual.

- Keyboard is great to type on. Only nuisance is there is no light for caps lock.

Edit : Wobble on the screen is more noticeable when on lap and can be quite annoying.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    huntnyc likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It doesnt. I cools loads better than any gigabyte out there by a mile.

3. GigaG

GigaG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 13, not the 15 that you have.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 13 also doesnt. The temps sre grest on those machines.

5. Paull

Paull Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check NotebookCheck's review, AW 13 with a 2 core i7 and a 960M throttles when on full load - Got a "low voltage" GPU and a 2 core CPU, it's a lot thicker and still cannot manage temperatures in order to use the computer's full potential. Sucks.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thankfully, the CPU does not display an erratic clock speed behavior. In the Cinebench R11.5 benchmarks (see screenshots), the Core i7-5500U operates at its maximum speeds of 2.9-3.0 GHz. Although, the CPU speed dropped briefly to the 2 GHz region during the 3D test of the Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark, we did not encounter any actual throttling. However at full load, which will never occur during everyday usage (not even when playing games), the processor throttles down".

I just checked and saw this. While all gigabytw laptops are notoriously throttling machines. I actually owned one.

The 13 might be a bit thicker but its loads more quiet and the temperatures are more well controlled. But it is true it is a dual core machine.

But the fan noise really is much lower for any alienware out there compared to the thinner machines. You simply cant have both.

7. Paull

Reputations:
    I'm not trying to make Gigabyte a god here, they do not handle cooling properly; and I don't really mind having a noisy laptop at all, that's what'll help me use the most potential of it. What I cannot stand is a low voltage CPU (15 Watt TDP vs.. 45W) still throttling when put in a "fat" body, which can host a much beefier cooling system than these "Less than 20MM quad core 970M laptops".

It's a matter of taste and compromises anyway, I rather having a noisy laptop with more juice inside than a fatter quieter and "weak" laptop, if both will throttle anyway.

P.S: I want to state and make quite clear that I wouldn't buy the Aero 14, it lacks some things I really want and appreciate in a Laptop (No RJ45? C'mon! Also I can compromise battery life in exchange of a 2,5'' drive)

8. GigaG

Reputations:
    AFAIK it comes with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter.

Yeah, it annoys me that Dell puts a low voltage CPU in a thick body, can't put a 970M in it, etc... pretty much every company is making thinner, more portable gaming laptops. And then there's Dell/Alienware.

9. Paull

Reputations:
    Adapter? What on earth are we talking about, Apple? Just put the goddamned connector in the laptop..

10. GigaG

Reputations:
    At least, unlike Apple, they bundle all needed adapters :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.