.gif's stopped playing on NBR?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by hmscott, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I replied in the thread:

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    But going to that link I provided it's clearly playing a "video", how do we support that playable image here on NBR? What is the magic to get it to play here like it plays there?

Some of the links on imgur using the same gifv => to gif in Image embed work fine.

That's what I am trying to ask, how do we get all of the animated images on imgur to play here like they play there?

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Here's the example, whether it is a "gif" or not, how do we get it to play here? Is there a package upgrade to support this format?

https://imgur.com/r/WTF/Uw6FsKy
    https://i.imgur.com/Uw6FsKy.gifv

Whatever this format is, it's what is being used moving forward...it's been moving this way for a while, and it's gotten to the point none of the animated "gifv's" on imgur will play here on NBR as "Image" package objects.

5. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    Those are videos, not GIFs. You are simply confusing media types. There would need to be an imgur BBcode media site filter for imgur, the same way pasting a youtube link automatically embeds the video. This requires admin access and a bit of developer brain cells. The documentation is here:

https://xenforo.com/xf1-docs/manual/bbcode/#bb-code-media-site-manager

Don't count on it happening.

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's too bad, since I'm trying to post in the "Random Video" thread. :)

Unfortunately over time technology moves forward and new things need to be incorporated into the forum support, otherwise functionality disappears, this is one of those cases.

Is it possible to query your support software guy and ask if there is a package that expands "video" embed's for the forum software? It would be nice to have other sites supported as well.

imgur has been a "source" for a lot of our "Random Video" and "Random Image" joy here on NBR, it's one of the joys to look forward to here.

Thanks for responding, please add it to the list of "things to do". :)

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  8. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    @hmscott I can appreciate your feelings -- it'd be nice to have. But it's not really a question of tech moving forward, it's that every site that one could want embedded content from needs its own BBcode media site filter, and those require carefully crafted regular expressions. The forum software comes with a few sites like youtube, vimeo, and I think instagram (for some reason?) preloaded. We could add a custom filter in 10 minutes if we had enough admin access, but we don't, and it has to go to some bean counters in order to get a developer to look at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.