Getting decent sound from your M17x R3 speakers (imho)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by widezu69, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toledano

Toledano Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Never mind then, It'll come to me later. Don't kill the messenger, lol

2. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    seems like I can't turn the volume up all the way in certain songs or it turns to crap, overloading the speakers perhaps? :(

3. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, that's certainly possible with overloaded bass, but pulling back a little on the bass slider should solve that, but it shouldn't cause any damage given the low power driving the speakers.

@Toledano -- I'm not fussing, my friend, the idea just struck me as odd. :eek: :)

4. GeoCake

GeoCake http://ted.ph

Reputations:
    After experimenting with the wave settings I like the 'music' preset best, just me though :p

Ever watch 300?

Yeah.

5. Toledano

Toledano Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, same with me, and I had the webpage that told me what happened, but I ran CCleaner and it wiped it, and for the life of me, I can't remember :mad:
    Yeah, It struck me as odd as well. Kinda hoping somebody could clarify it.

Yup, that's why I said it :D

6. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    it seems to happen with the higher notes not the base usually :(

7. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LOL. That's really odd.

8. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    might just complain about the sound quality to dell, add it to my case for a new machine :D

9. catacylsm

catacylsm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well think about it, if you push bass and you play bassy songs, your trying to force your speakers to oscilate to that frequency (20hz-20khz audio range for instance), so ofcourse its going to try create the vibrations for the lower band (Which for tiny drivers, would be a massive amount of vibration, but not big enough to produce proper bass!) , if you boast these frequencies and your trying to play mids and highs (Much faster frequency oscilation) you will find that you get a massive distortion margine.

I think the best thing to do with the alienwares speakers are to leave on default settings, make sure your speakers have seen a decent amount of usage, ballance the waves out so you get a good response from the speakers so its nice and ballanced then fine tune the wave settings with a custom equaliser. On my MSI GT725/Advent 6555, after some heavy equaliser tweaking alone (No other settings), i managed to get the 5.1 (Stereo configuration) subwoofer on the bottom doing some crazy things.

The alienware provides a good range of sound across the board but i dont think forcing BASS out the small Klipsch drivers is the way to go :p its only a laptop remember! but a decent ballance will reward you greatly in terms of quality and loudness!

- Cata

Its hard to explain sound drivers, i haven't got the best knowledge, but i do know you will cause distortion from trying to pack the sound system up with bass. :)

10. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    ^^Very good point. I never have my speakers that loud, loudest I go is probably 40% so I'm not so weary about blowing my speakers out and plus, the settings I've posted are not about boosting bass, it's about enhancing it, allowing it to show through the speakers. If I wanted to boost bass, which I don't, I'd do it though the EQ. Personally I keep that @flat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.