Getting a new laptop and have a couple of Mac OS X questions, in case I get a MBP.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by CrunchDude, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, I don't know how I can take that seriously with Asus and Toshiba (of all brands) declared the winners of "most reliable" laptop. lol...Then they allege that Lenovo is supposedly quite bad according to their conclusion.

2. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    they are trying to sell warranties... since Dell and HP are the biggest, and most potential of buying warranties, they don't want to make them look too reliable, then people will think they don't need a warranty.

I don't trust any research done by squaretrade, they are a rip off warranty in the first place.

3. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very interesting theory. That would certainly explain as to why Apple's MacBook Pro line finds itself "neck-and-neck" with...Dell with both companies vying for that coveted 4th spot! lol...another wildly improbable assertion.

And what do you mean you don't trust SquareTrade? It happens to be ebay's and Paypal's choice for those companies' efforts to ensure impartiality when a transaction goes awry. Fairness is at the heart of Paypal's essence. That's not at all about money. :D

4. doh123

Reputations:
    its not full coverage... is why I do not like them. They only cover a max dollar value for the price of the machine. you get a 3 year warranty, but have a couple of failures that need to be fixed in the 2nd year, you can use up the warranty and its gone for the 3rd year... thats what I call a rip off warranty. If i want a warranty, i want to be completely covered for the time frame i pay for... not a dollar value or time frame, whichever comes first like Square trade

5. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Its a simple counting of how many laptop owners reported failure (hardware malfunction) to SquareTrade. They routinely release information about failure rates.

No research there. Take the numbers and reason however you want to, but fabricating data?

You seriously think they're fabricating data?

EDIT:
    Here's my guess:
    Asus owners are more likely to overclock, or replace their components, meaning they're likely to void their warranty. Also, their Eee trashbooks happen to be the most reliable netbook out there.

Whereas Mac owners are more keen to rely on warranties, as most computer techies may not be able to repair a Macbook, warranty being their first (and possibly only) choice.

Dell's low failure rate is probably because of their prominent (and reliable) business line, which outnumbers their consumerline, which pulls their percentage down.

Toshiba's high position is because they tend to sell premiumly priced laptops, which are generally more reliable than the budget laptops made by HP.

6. doh123

Reputations:
    when did I say they were fabricating data... its very easy to use statistics to get a point access that you choose to, even if the data doesn't seem to support it.

They took a sample of "over 30,000" that they call random.. because it was "random" from their customers... so they should only be commenting on what their customers can expect, because it was not a random sample over all laptops sold. They also mixed all netbooks in with laptops... they said they had a minimum of 1000 of each brand (no telling if the majority were $300 or $3000 machines)... meaning these top 2 performers could have gotten a lucky selection with 1000 machines, while the worst performer of HP could have had 15,000 machines... or visa versa... who knows, they wont say. They also wont give any margin for error, or how they calculated or projected stuff and what margin it should be. Most all of the data there is so close in that sample, there isn't a significant difference more than likely (not enough data presented for sure). They made the study to show the 3 year 'projected' failure rate, to try and make it look high, to help get sales.... giving as little info as possible. Is it wrong info? no.. doubtfully... is it misleading? very likely. People love using statistics to scare people into giving them money.

7. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't understand where this comes from. I haven't encountered the productivity application on Windows for which there is no OSX equivalent.

it was a worry of mine when I switched a couple of months ago, but not now at all. MS Office 2011 is great, all of my Adobe apps are available, most Autodesk apps I need, media playback, financial apps, etc.

idunno...what apps are you guys using that make you feel like you need to use Windows for your serious stuff? just curious.

8. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with you 100% but how are you using MS Office 2011? It's not out yet. :confused:

9. E30kid

E30kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably a beta or something. It could have been leaked if that's not the case.

10. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess it depends on what definition of "productivity" you subscribe to. I'm exaggerating here of course but if by "productivity" you mean the task of running defrag, reg cleaners, windows update, malware software definition updates, scans etc.... then yes, absolutely, you're more productive on Windows.

I have Windows 7 and OSX on the same machines, like them both, and I go back and forth between them often, but my windows time is now generally spent mainly doing the aforementioned stuff. Just about everything else is done on the OSX side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.