Getting a new laptop and have a couple of Mac OS X questions, in case I get a MBP.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by CrunchDude, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShannonJack

ShannonJack Newbie

Reputations:
    If you need to find out anything about Mac OS, or you have problems with software, you can look through Mac How articles or submit your how-to...
    I hope it will help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  2. csinth

csinth Snitch?

Reputations:
    I recently switched to a MBP 13 (been a Windows guy my whole life.. since I got my first virus at age 4).

Here are the main reasons I switched:

Portability: I found nothing at the price that could match the form factor, quality, and battery life of the MBP.

Quality:: I simply wanted something that worked, that looks nice and feels solid. The MBP 13 certainly delivers in this area.

Repair service:: My college has an Apple store on campus, so if anything goes wrong it should be a quick fix. Huge deal to me.

Keyboard: I wanted a quality keyboard.. similar models (like Asus) simply couldn't deliver in this area.

Webcam + Mic: My last laptop had a pretty bad mic.. I wanted something that I knew worked. People with Macs never seemed to have issues with the webcam or mic.. and neither do I.

Concerns when I bought:

Gaming
    Performance (specs)

These were my main problems.. it would be slower than my previous laptop (Core 2 duo + 320m vs. i5 + 5850.. HUGE difference). In general it seems to be just as snappy.. but I have yet to heavily photoshop. We'll see how it holds up in time..

3. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am in the same boat. I thought I was going to go with HP's latest workstation, the 8740w, but they literally couldn't deliver. Now that they are shipping, there are problems with the RAM, which cause random crashes with no predictability, and the battery life of any 17" PC workstation is abysmal. Why even have a battery? The most it'll be good for is take a Lenovo W700 or W701, a Dell M6500, or an HP 8740w, from one room to another and back to the power cord. :rolleyes:

The three laptops I listed above are all 17" workstations and they share one more trait: They are all more expensive than the Apple MacBook Pro 17" WUXGA model. As far as specs are concerned, it is true that Apple does not make a single quad-core notebook yet and, perhaps more of an issue for the gamers and AutoCAD folks, is the fact that 512MB of dedicated VRAM is the most that you're going to get on Apple's highest end laptop.

I suppose if you're a gamer, you don't want a MacBook anyway since you're going to have to install Windows on its own disk or at least partition due to the lack of a good selection of games. As for high-end graphics design artists, I suppose you'll have to find out as to what extent the lack of a stronger GPU applies to you and/or as to how patient a person you are. ;)

4. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There was a recent study where Apple came 4th in reliability for laptops, barely more reliable than Dell. Given Dell's consumer line reputation for .. uh.. shoddy quality, I'd beware about any sort of grand claim on superior workmanship.

Anyway, my experience with Macs seem to agree; overall same sort of reliability as their PC counterparts. Nothing like business-class notebooks, had one that lasted 6 years, until I misplaced it.

But OSX is a plus :)

5. CrunchDude

Reputations:
    Huh? MacBook's in 4th place behind what, ThinkPad's I would guess? I can definitely see that, but what else, though? HP?

Quick OT question: Do IPS screens consume more power than your regular TN displays?

6. E30kid

E30kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HP's engineers seem to think so: when I was configuring an 8540w, they make you select a 150w power supply when you select the DreamColor 2 option. Normally, the 8540w ships with a 90w power supply when configured with the FX 880M or a 120w power supply when configured with the FirePro M5800 or the FX 1800M.

I don't know the actual answer though.

7. CrunchDude

Reputations:
    Hmm...That's interesting. Maybe that's why Apple has not put IPS screens into their MBP line!? :confused: It seems to be hugely important to Apple to have its notebooks' batteries lasting forever. And that's of course not a bad thing, but I wonder if it comes at a cost, whether it be the screen type, a more powerful CPU and/or GPU, or something else. Does this make any sense or am I just totally wrong? (I'm really hoping that I am wrong!)

Then again, the iPad and iPhone 4 even have LED and IPS, and their respective battery life is awesome.

What to do, what to do...???

8. E30kid

E30kid Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think that it just costs too much for them to put an IPS screen in the MBP line. Apple is used to operating on large margins and a standard IPS screen would make MBPs less profitable.

9. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Laptop Reliability Study (Square Trade).

On the 6th page of the PDF.

Asus > Toshiba > Sony > Apple @ 4th place]

10. CrunchDude

Reputations:
    I realize that cost was the reason for every laptop manufacturer, especially when Lenovo claimed not to be able to find a "reliable source" for its FlexView IPS displays and stopped sourcing them as a result in 2006.

However, since E-IPS was introduced this January, the cost factor was supposedly dealt with for the most part. I thought that LG was ramping up to make tons of IPS screens, such as the DreamColor 2, including for other notebook manufacturers. Does anyone have any additional information?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.